Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

What are your feelings on Hotaru?

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By kingzetta

No Caption Provided
    I thought he was pretty cool, because he's like if batman finally snapped.
    I like the look of his armor and the fact that he shoots lava. What do you think?
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Batman already snapped.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kingzetta
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " Batman already snapped. "
    Batman still does not kill anyone.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @kingzetta said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " Batman already snapped. "
    Batman still does not kill anyone. "
    Don't tell me what Batman can and cannot do.

But seriously I thought he was kinda cool.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

What I don't understand is how a being from the Orderrealm has a name that is Japanese for firefly.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Jeust
    @Hailinel said:
    " What I don't understand is how a being from the Orderrealm has a name that is Japanese for firefly. "
    Before he was king, he immigrated in secret from Japan to Outworld. 
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kingzetta
    @Hailinel said:
    " What I don't understand is how a being from the Orderrealm has a name that is Japanese for firefly. "
    I just want to know when did Order Realm become a place?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hailinel
    @kingzetta said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    I just want to know when did Order Realm become a place? "
    The writers for Mortal Kombat just sort of let the fiction go to shit during the PS2 era.  Armageddon was a clear sign that they didn't know what to do anymore.  They just threw their hands up and went with a massive pyramid housing phenomenal cosmic power, because why the fuck not.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kingzetta
    @Hailinel said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    The writers for Mortal Kombat just sort of let the fiction go to shit during the PS2 era.  Armageddon was a clear sign that they didn't know what to do anymore.  They just threw their hands up and went with a massive pyramid housing phenomenal cosmic power, because why the fuck not. "
    Well actually there is a long explanation for that, but it's not great.
    euryb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By euryb

I have no feelings one way or the other for Hotaru. His character design is very similar to the of Fujin. Overall I have no feelings for any of the characters added past 4 with the only exception being Bo' Rai Cho.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hailinel
    @kingzetta said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    The writers for Mortal Kombat just sort of let the fiction go to shit during the PS2 era.  Armageddon was a clear sign that they didn't know what to do anymore.  They just threw their hands up and went with a massive pyramid housing phenomenal cosmic power, because why the fuck not. "
    Well actually there is a long explanation for that, but it's not great. "
    I know.  I played Armageddon.  It made about as much difference given the story's quality, anyway.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kingzetta
    @Hailinel said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    Well actually there is a long explanation for that, but it's not great. "
    I know.  I played Armageddon.  It made about as much difference given the story's quality, anyway. "
    I do actually like that Rain is the long lost brother of the twin guys from the konquest mode of Armageddon.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Bestostero

Hotaru impales Li Mei in the opening for Armageddon, that made me giggle... but yeah, I'm not a fan, but I don't hate him either... eh

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Floppypants

Characters introduced after MK Trilogy rarely resonate with anyone because the overall quality of gameplay nosedived so quickly.  Characters like Hotaru look cool and have interesting backgrounds, but it's hard to care when they were never much fun.
    Just look at how many people clamor for Rain to be added as DLC, but hate Quan Chi.  Quan Chi stars as a central antagonist in multiple MK games, and is the most powerful sorcerer in the MK universe.  They made him about as awesome as he could be.

Rain was named after a Prince song and was in MK Trilogy.  Rain wins.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bestostero
    @Floppypants:  For sure, I broke up with the Mortal Kombat series after MK Gold.  So I never really cared for any of the characters that come after...except for a select few... but yeah, quality really suffered, but I think things got better in MKvsDC and definitely for this upcoming one.
    Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sanious

I didn't even really like the MK4/Gold game all that much. Still had them. I have the PS2 trilogy as well, but the only one that comes close to being decent is Deception. But I have to agree and say there isn't really memorable characters in terms of game play because it wasn't all that great.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:
    Yeah, if THAT is the weirdest thing about MK to you, we need to talk...
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bestostero
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    Yeah, if THAT is the weirdest thing about MK to you, we need to talk... "
    What would you suggest as a name for someone from Orderrealm?  Cacawakashakirapoopoowalala the third? lol
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

How did you know he shoots lava?

Psychic?

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bestostero
    @ImmortalSaiyan:  He has a lava special move. is that what you meant?
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By ryanwho
    @Floppypants said:
    " Characters introduced after MK Trilogy rarely resonate with anyone because the overall quality of gameplay nosedived so quickly.  Characters like Hotaru look cool and have interesting backgrounds, but it's hard to care when they were never much fun.
    Just look at how many people clamor for Rain to be added as DLC, but hate Quan Chi.  Quan Chi stars as a central antagonist in multiple MK games, and is the most powerful sorcerer in the MK universe.  They made him about as awesome as he could be.
      Rain was named after a Prince song and was in MK Trilogy.  Rain wins. "
    That's merely limited to this forum and the various people here with their nose far up Jeff's ass. Quan Chi is generally regarded as boss shit. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hailinel
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    Yeah, if THAT is the weirdest thing about MK to you, we need to talk... "
    I never said it was the weirdest thing about MK to me.  Don't put words in my mouth.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel: Calm down, I meant no offense by it.
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Hotaru could be okay.  I like the idea that he was willing to side with the villains just because Onaga would rule with an iron fist, and that was what Order realm was all about.

A lot of MK Characters were pretty terrible when first introduced, though.  I think that the new guys from Deadly Alliance through Deception were just cursed with being in shitty games, and never getting the chance to grow on people the way the original cast did.  Since the new MK game sets up a rebooted version of the MK universe as a whole, it will be interesting to see if these characters all come back, and how they'll be different from their original versions.

Honestly, I just want Reiko back.  He was so damn awesome in Armageddon, lame hammer weapon aside.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bestostero

I want Tanya the most to come as DLC, although Reiko, Fujin, Shinnok, Ashrah, Li Mei would all be welcomed by me... i wouldn't mind new characters either, I hope the Lady in Red will have a good story to her.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dbz1995

I hated Hotaru, but loved Havik. I just didn't like Hotaru because he was a dick in the Deception Konquest. Much like Liu Kang (obtaining him, at the least). Havik, on the other hand, gave his   

head to you as a present.
    KyleDaniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KyleDaniels
    @dbz1995 said:

" I hated Hotaru, but loved Havik. I just didn't like Hotaru because he was a dick in the Deception Konquest. Much like Liu Kang (obtaining him, at the least). Havik, on the other hand, gave his   

head to you as a present. "
    Yes! Havik is my favorite character out of all of the newer MK games and it's nice to see someone else giving him props. I feel he was a pretty unique character and his mace was just plain bad-ass.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bestostero

I didn't hate Havik, but i didn't like him either...one of my many issues with the later MK characters were that they were Neutral in alignment, pick a freaking side or don't get involved lol

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By Floppypants

Looks-wise, Hotaru and Havik are pretty cool.  Hotaru's green plate armor and long white hair looks great.  Havik's insane personality really comes across in his unique animations.  They share an obvious but fun dichotomy.

What doesn't sit well with me is how they fit Hotaru and Havik into the MK universe.  "Order Realm" and "Chaos Realm" make as much sense as having a "Love Realm", "Freedom World", or "Science Planet".  It's super easy to create weird characters if you just say they come from an alternate reality.

I would put Hotaru and Havik on my short list of characters I'd buy as DLC, but they'd be behind Shinnok, Rain and Fujin.  That said, I'm way more excited for brand-new characters.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ryanwho

Look. Priority one needs to be figuring out a way to make Motaro work, and not the dumbass Minotaur version. Before we head into MK3 and 4 and 7 territory with the ninja rejects Rain and Frost and all that shit.

Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By Seroth
    @Hailinel said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    The "Noob Saibot = Sub-Zero" thing came about in Deception, which they're still using now. I think it's a pretty cool plot point, too. 

As for Hotaru, I liked the way he looked. I don't really remember how he played. 

Out of the post-MK3 characters, I'd have to say my favorites were Quan Chi and Kenshi. I do miss Quan Chi's spiky outfit from Mythologies/MK4, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.