Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

X-rays & combos

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By EvilDingo

To me from my not-quite-noob-but-in-no-way-pro perspective, it seems that x-rays you can easily combo into are superior to ones, that leave a big enough gap for blocking.

Of cause combos can be broken with a breaker, but then your still left with a full meter.
    So basically you not likely to whiff an x-ray if you get into the habit of using them in combos (I think).

I donno... perhaps someone better at the game can set me straight if I'm completely wrong about this.

This generalization isn't meant for grapple x-rays that are unblockable... but more x-rays like Liu Kang's for example.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5be09b084ef21
    deactivated-5be09b084ef21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Comboing into an x-ray will make it unblockable but it will make the x-ray do less damage than if it was used without a combo. So you have a choice between high damage and a chance to miss or low damage with a guaranteed hit.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By EvilDingo
    @MuftyRiots: 
    Oh... yeah... Didn't even think about that, but that's probably true.
    Totally makes sense.
    D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#4  Edited By D_W

Of course it depends on the character. Certain characters' (like Sub-zero) x-ray doesn't have scaling damage.

Regardless it's almost always the better option to go for the x-ray in the combo. You'd get more damage over all from the combo + x-ray then just them by themselves.

Avatar image for deactivated-5be09b084ef21
    deactivated-5be09b084ef21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@IntramanDW:  Sub-Zero's x-ray does have scaling damage but it isn't as extreme as other characters because it only hits 3 times. Place it at the end of a 6-hit combo and your total damage will be less than if you place it at the end of a 3-hit combo due to the drop.
    The worst characters affected by the scaling are the ones with high hit count x-rays like Sonya, Liu Kang & Mileena.

Ending a big combo with an x-ray will get you that little extra damage overall but you could only be getting 1/3% of the potential out of it.
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By craigbo180

I always launch my x-rays of a combo if possible, it just seems more effective to me.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By imsh_pl

I play Scorpion, whose X-ray is awesome because it's so easy to punish with it; it hits almost instantenously and can dodge any projectile.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ares42
    @EvilDingo said:
    " To me from my not-quite-noob-but-in-no-way-pro perspective, it seems that x-rays you can easily combo into are superior to ones, that leave a big enough gap for blocking.
    Of cause combos can be broken with a breaker, but then your still left with a full meter.
    So basically you not likely to whiff an x-ray if you get into the habit of using them in combos (I think).

I donno... perhaps someone better at the game can set me straight if I'm completely wrong about this.

This generalization isn't meant for grapple x-rays that are unblockable... but more x-rays like Liu Kang's for example.
    "
    Not gonna say for sure, but pretty sure every X-ray except Cages (am I forgetting someone else that parries?) can be comboed into in one way or another, it's just a matter of finding the combo.
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Beaudacious

I think X-rays are way to forgiving in implementation. If your invisible foot hit box which is larger then your foot model get clipped, you get pulled into an X-ray. Also unblockable x-rays are ridiculous, especial when characters with high hit counts are the ones shafted. You have to get at least a 2-3 hit combo in to get a high hit x-ray going otherwise its going to be blocked, while other characters can simply decide, oh hey i want you to lose 33% , and you can't do shit about it. Also grapple x-rayes have a very wide area of effect, while multi hit x-rays are piss easy to dodge.

I remember continuously blocking Noobs x-ray's, or trying to cancel it with getting an uppercut in, then i learned shit is unblockable and can't be canceled. I think x-ray's should be canceled by moves like upper cuts or grabs, if you can time an uppercut on scorpion's x-ray you should be reward not negated, or a sweep. I don't understand rewarding someone for simply hitting a win button. Scorpions probably a bad example since you can block, but i think you get the gist.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ares42
    @Beaudacious said:
    " I think X-rays are way to forgiving in implementation. If your invisible foot hit box which is larger then your foot model get clipped, you get pulled into an X-ray. Also unblockable x-rays are ridiculous, especial when characters with high hit counts are the ones shafted. You have to get at least a 2-3 hit combo in to get a high hit x-ray going otherwise its going to be blocked, while other characters can simply decide, oh hey i want you to lose 33% , and you can't do shit about it. Also grapple x-rayes have a very wide area of effect, while multi hit x-rays are piss easy to dodge.I remember continuously blocking Noobs x-ray's, or trying to cancel it with getting an uppercut in, then i learned shit is unblockable and can't be canceled. I think x-ray's should be canceled by moves like upper cuts or grabs, if you can time an uppercut on scorpion's x-ray you should be reward not negated, or a sweep. I don't understand rewarding someone for simply hitting a win button. Scorpions probably a bad example since you can block, but i think you get the gist. "
    Hmm, you got some misconceptions going on there. There's no practical difference between a low or high hit combo/x-ray other than the fact that if you're stupid you can let go of the block button in the middle of a high hit one and still get hit for a good chunk of damage. As long as the first hit lands, everything else will hit (unless it's a bad juggle situation). As for cancelling X-rays, I know atleast some of them can be cancelled with a well timed jab. Again not completely sure, but seem to remember someone saying this especially counts for the grappling ones. Pretty sure the grappling ones also tend to have a tad longer animation making it possible to react with a jump.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @MuftyRiots:  my main is Sub-Zero and I havent seen any scaling of the damage.  I go with an 8-hit combo into an X-ray for 44% damage
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By huntad
    @Sackmanjones: My main is also sub-zero. I have done various tests and here are the results:
    Sub-Zero's combo 2,1,4 is at 18%. His XRay is at 33%. The total expected outcome should then be 51% without scaling. The actual outcome is 48% all together. You might say that isn't that much compared to the expected total.

However, take his 2,2,Freeze. NJ1,dash,B+1,2~2,1,2 combo which is at 28% by itself. Combined with the 33% Xray, the expected outcome is a whopping 61%. The actual outcome is at 43%. The result is that there is definitely scaling. You can actually see the bars moving at a much slimmer rate than normal. Imho, with my findings, Sub-Zero's Xray does scale. 

Note: The XRay is always done AFTER the combos to make sure it is the XRay scaling and not the combo AFTER the XRay.

EDIT: Also forgot to say that I also tested The NJ1,dash combo above without the freeze to eliminate even more scaling. The combo without the 2, 2, Freeze is at 25%. XRay is at 33%. Total Expected Outcome=58%. Actual Outcome=43%.
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Beaudacious
    @Ares42: The difference is high hit combos must be combod into otherwise any good player will block, also if you attempt to combo into a jugle most likely half the hits will miss. I'm also more so bashing grappling combo's then low hit combo's, which you have to jump out of perfectly otherwise your hitbox will get pulled in. I've repeatedly use uppercut, sweep, even used enhanced moves on  people right before the grapple hits me, and dmg is done but no physical consequence takes  place.Grappling combo's might a miniscule extended animation, but you fail to realize there is a point in the animation where you just can' do shit, even if you jump or hit you're already pulled in.
    @Sackmanjones: So your x-ray avg 27-33% non-combo, plus an 8-hit combo does 11-17% damage? I think that shows diminishing returns, unless i remember Sub-Zero's x-ray % wrong.
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By huntad
    @Beaudacious: You are correct, because Sub-Zero's XRay is precisely at 33%. My tests are in my above post.
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By huntad

Also, I AM on the PS3 and do not have any of the "insta-fixes' that are available at this time. However, unless NRS insisted that Sub's XRay should not-scale and buffed him, then it should still be this way.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ares42
    @Beaudacious said:
    " @Ares42: The difference is high hit combos must be combod into otherwise any good player will block
    ehm, no ? There is absolutely no difference at all with how you block an X-ray with few or many strikes. The first strike comes out just as quick with either, and it's the only determining factor. Any strike after the first will either hit if the first one hit, or be blocked if the first was blocked and you keep blocking. You can't begin to block a multiple hit X-ray in the middle of the string.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Slaker117
    @huntad said:

" @Sackmanjones:
    Sub-Zero's combo 2,1,4 is at 18%. His XRay is at 33%. The total expected outcome should then be 51% without scaling. The actual outcome is 48% all together. You might say that isn't that much compared to the expected total.

However, take his 2,2,Freeze. NJ1,dash,B+1,2~2,1,2 combo which is at 28% by itself. Combined with the 33% Xray, the expected outcome is a whopping 61%. The actual outcome is at 43%. "

This seems kind of messed up. Why does the combo with a higher non-scaled potential deal less damage in practice? I get point of scaling, combos would be too brutalizing otherwise, but this seems like over-correcting.
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By huntad
    @Slaker117: If you look at the damage then, yeah, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because less hits into XRay=more damage. I can't really explain why they did that, but the rule is that a combo with more hits scales faster than a combo with less hits. It seems dumb at first, because we are only talking one character, but with other characters it may have been a necessity because they might have a combo that does more damage with a higher hit count.

What it does now is make each character use their meter differently. I would recommend testing each combo out on your character of choice to see what the most effective use of XRay is. As it stands, you might not even want to use high-hit-counter combos into XRay unless your opponent has close to no meter since your combo will break, causing you to try and go for it again. IMO, XRays are good in small combos anyways, because the bigger combos do a lot of damage as is - such as Reptile's 45% combo with no meter. Imagine that plus another ~33%, ouch!
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Beaudacious
    @Ares42: So are you saying that there is no difference between Scorpions X-ray and Sonia's from a stand still? Sonia's starts out similar to a normal combo move, which makes it as easy to block as a normal combo, compared to scorpions which can take advantage of any mistake?
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MeierTheRed

If i combo into a X-Ray i always use as few hits as i can. But if i see a opening or i can bait the opponent into just eating the X-Ray without a setup i always try that.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ares42
    @Beaudacious said:

" @Ares42: So are you saying that there is no difference between Scorpions X-ray and Sonia's from a stand still? Sonia's starts out similar to a normal combo move, which makes it as easy to block as a normal combo, compared to scorpions which can take advantage of any mistake? "

yup, look at it this way, Sonia's X-ray has similar properties as her Kartwheel special, Scorpion's has similar properties to his Teleport. How do you avoid those 2 specials ? you hold the block button down before it hits you. It's the exact same thing. If you're referring to the fact that Scorpions X-ray is a teleport so he can do it on reaction to a projectile, then it just comes down to the speed/range/armor of the different X-rays, not how many strikes they do.

Edit: hmm, seems I forgot what Sonia's X-ray looked like, but it doesn't really change anything :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.