Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

You vs Scorpion

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SSully

So I played about 5 - 8 matches online tonight, and all of them except one was against people who picked scorpion. Any reason why this is? Maybe because of the demo? 

I think a lot of people think he is  really easy, which he is, and that is why they pick him. I dont think there is anything wrong with that, but it would be nice to have some variety. 
    Luckily for me it is getting easy to win games because everyone is basically spamming scorpions combos, and as a sub zero enthusiast I just freeze them every chance I get and lay waste. 

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SBYM

Scorpion is one of the most recognizable and popular video game characters of all time; that's probably why.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Sanious

It's because he's easy, and he's one of the poster boys for the game and what not. Sub Zero/Scorpion are the Ryu and Ken of the series. As time moves on and the casual players start getting weeded out is when you'll start seeing variety. When I do eventually go online, I'm either going to use Smoke or Ermac.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Skald

He's a demon ninja, and the game defaults to him being selected. I'm also working under the assumption that most gamers are drawn to bright colours such as yellow.

Personally, I'm sticking with the relatively somber Kano and Smoke.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CL60

I'm getting quite mad at Scorpions that sit in the corner crouched holding block. I don't know what do do against them.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Slaker117

I feel bad for thinking he's the most fun to play as. I try to mix it up a little because I know it's the "noob" chose, but I just like his moves and his looks the best. Though I'm also liking Liu Kang and Raiden the more I play with them, I have a hard time resisting the urge to pick Scorpion every time.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By JJOR64
    @SBYM said:
    " Scorpion is one of the most recognizable and popular video game characters of all time; that's probably why. "
    Yep.  Him and Sub-Zero.

People like the pick the popular characters in fighting games.  Similar to Ryu and Ken in Street Fighter.
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By sjupp

Picking it up today, so hyped!

I have played SFIV once and that's it. Really want to get into fighting games. I wonder if I'll default into Scorpion when I get my hands on it.
    I wonder if it's worth trying to learn to play the least played character so people won't know how to counter as easily.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bestostero

I think everyone is guilty of playing the same character over and over, but were just seeing more Scorpions out there lol

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CL60
    @JJOR64 said:
    " @SBYM said:
    " Scorpion is one of the most recognizable and popular video game characters of all time; that's probably why. "
    Yep.  Him and Sub-Zero.People like the pick the popular characters in fighting games.  Similar to Ryu and Ken in Street Fighter. "
    Do you know how to play against turtles in this game? I am unable to beat people who sit in the corner and hold block. I'm not sure if it's just a scorpion thing or not though, because the vast majority of my matches have been against scorpion.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By JJOR64
    @CL60 said:
    " @JJOR64 said:
    " @SBYM said:
    Yep.  Him and Sub-Zero.People like the pick the popular characters in fighting games.  Similar to Ryu and Ken in Street Fighter. "
    Do you know how to play against turtles in this game? I am unable to beat people who sit in the corner and hold block. I'm not sure if it's just a scorpion thing or not though, because the vast majority of my matches have been against scorpion. "
    Try to grab them I guess.

I'm learning this game like everyone else is right now.
    Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Giacomito
    @CL60: I would suggest trying to chip them (dont know if there's chip damage in this game since I havent bought it yet and havent played MK since PSone days)
    and if you get the chip damage, just lame them out.
    If you have the life-lead, and he insists on sitting in the corner holding block, just to the same to teach him a lesson. I know it's boring but sometimes you gotta be lame!
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CL60
    @Giacomito said:
    " @CL60: I would suggest trying to chip them (dont know if there's chip damage in this game since I havent bought it yet and havent played MK since PSone days)and if you get the chip damage, just lame them out.If you have the life-lead, and he insists on sitting in the corner holding block, just to the same to teach him a lesson. I know it's boring but sometimes you gotta be lame! "
    If I do the same and I'm against scorpion which is 90% of the time, he can just do hellfire and it goes right through my block. And if I just throw projectiles at him, he will just yell at me to get over here, and pull me in, and if I try jumping in I get uppercutted. I honestly don't know what to do. I play as Kabal and only have a move that dashes forward at him, 2 projectiles, and a thing with my swords.
    soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By soldierg654342

Yeah, I'm really hating the demo right now. Every is playing Scorpion now because that's who they've been practicing with for the last month. You shouldn't put a demo out so far ahead of these types of games. 

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Slaker117

You know what? Fuck it. After getting my ass handed to me a few times when playing as Kang, I've decided that I don't care. I'll stick with what works, and that's ninja hell demons.

Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Giacomito
    @CL60: that sounds intense!
    I'll go to the lab when I get the game in about 2 hours when the store opens and try to see if there's something I can figure out.
    Again, I have no experience in MK, just a crazy amount of Street Fighter experience.
    There has to  be a way to punish. I mean every scorpion who is turtling cant have godlike reactions to punish every projectile right?
    I dont know what hellfire is but if it goes through your block I'm sure there has to be a way to punish that move.

can't wait to try and figure this out, imo this is the kind of stuff that makes fighting games so much fun (if there IS a solution, otherwise they are just broken lol)
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By Yummylee

Just because of their status within the series, and they're regarded as being relatively easy to play as. Like Ryu/Ken from Street Fighter and, I'd gather, Kazuya/Jin from Tekken.

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Floppypants

Well, there's a reason the cover of the box doesn't have Sindel and Sheeva on it.
    @CL60 said:

"Do you know how to play against turtles in this game? I am unable to beat people who sit in the corner and hold block. I'm not sure if it's just a scorpion thing or not though, because the vast majority of my matches have been against scorpion. "
    I wish Scorpion would sit on his ass in the corner when I fight him.  He's always in my face.  It's much nicer when they politely stay at range and so I can easily shoot skulls at them.
    Kut_U_Up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kut_U_Up
    @CL60 said:

" @Giacomito said:

" @CL60: I would suggest trying to chip them (dont know if there's chip damage in this game since I havent bought it yet and havent played MK since PSone days)and if you get the chip damage, just lame them out.If you have the life-lead, and he insists on sitting in the corner holding block, just to the same to teach him a lesson. I know it's boring but sometimes you gotta be lame! "
    If I do the same and I'm against scorpion which is 90% of the time, he can just do hellfire and it goes right through my block. And if I just throw projectiles at him, he will just yell at me to get over here, and pull me in, and if I try jumping in I get uppercutted. I honestly don't know what to do. I play as Kabal and only have a move that dashes forward at him, 2 projectiles, and a thing with my swords. "
    couldnt you pick kung lao and do the teleport move into a throw?or does the throw not grab them when there crouched?

I havent touched online yet so im not sure what the goings are....are, im very determined to finish the challenge tower at the moment

Also theres an achievement for winning an online ranked match with the timer running out in both rounds, so its possible kids are doing that 
    neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By neoepoch

If they are low crouched and blocking, a high hit to the head should still go through their block and hit them. Otherwise, you can try to chip or keep hitting enough to break their block.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Everyone's pretty much nailed it. Scorpion also has the easiest pseudo-infinite combo to pull off (It's like FP, FP, BP, Spear; repeat), and it's devastating against players who don't know how to utilize breakers or simple blocks effectively.

Sub-Zero (Human and Cyber), Noob, Smoke, and Ermac are Scorpion's major counters. But anyone with a suitable teleport maneuver (Sektor, for instance) can dominate a Scorpion focused on throwing simple combos out. 
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @SBYM said:
    Yeah he is iconic.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By Yanngc33
    @CL60: have you tried grabbing?
    CanadianBaconX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By CanadianBaconX
    @CL60:
    Thing's that beat crouching opponents in this game are jumping punches, grabs and overhead attacks... I'm not sure what exactly Kabal can do however since I never use the guy. Tho I THINK (not sure) his ex dash goes through projectiles so, if he's chucking spears are you it might be a solution.
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ares42

Not only is Scorpion iconic, but he's also really strong. With the spear, teleport and air grab he's really good at shutting down opponents. He's like the second most annoying character to meet (only beat by ermac) in my book. The match usually just comes down to punishing bad moves on his part.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By MildMolasses

Scorpion is just incredibly powerful and easy to use. I'm not surprised that everyone is using him. If someone can play him as well as the AI does, they are damn near unstoppable.

They need to remove some moves from him

He has a teleport, 2 stun moves (although that fire thing is tricky to combo)  and an air throw. Also, his teleport is way more useful than say Kung Lao or Raiden. And the leg take down is sweet. I realise he's a go to because of how long he's been around, but he's also a really good character. Playing through the story goes along way towards showing which characters are easy to pick up, and him and smoke are pretty easy to jump in to

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By toowalrus

Fuuuuuuuck I can't wait until Monday or Wednesday, when I can sink some serious time into Portal and MK.

Avatar image for somethingclever
    SomethingClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By SomethingClever

I totally understand the frustration of seeing the same opponent regularly.  For what it's worth, if you find yourself playing against me (gamer tag is the same as my name here, just without the underscore) I will almost certainly be playing as Scorpion.  For now at least.  I've never been any good at fighting games but I picked this up and am going to do my best to improve.  So, if you are fighting your 1000th Scorpion and it is me I certainly apologize for it but if it is any conciliation you will likely beat me pretty fast and I'll be out of the way quickly... Just putting it out there.

CanadianBaconX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By CanadianBaconX

Honestly I wouldn't mind all these Scorpions if... They did a combo better than Spear, Uppercut or Spear, Throw... Sigh...

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Driadon

People will mix it up eventually once they learn that they can't mash spear and expect to win very often.

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ekajarmstro

I've been playing Scorpion and Reptile, and 95% of my opponents are Scorpion or Smoke.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By soldierg654342

I've had a pretty easy time shutting down Scorpion players using Smoke. Smoke though the spear and he's wide open for the smoke ball and teleport punches. Vibrate is also good for mixing them up. Sektor is also good at playing keep-away. Keep your distance and throw missiles and teleport uppercuts. 

In my experience, Kabal is not so good against Scorpion. You need someone who can close the distance fast and safely against Scorpion, and Kabal is not that guy. 

Best thing to do is to not main someone. Become competent in a handful of characters and choose according to your opponent..
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I haven't run into Scorpion yet, and i've done around 20+ matches. Its fucking Cyrax I can't kill.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.