Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Myst

Game » consists of 34 releases. Released Sep 24, 1993

A mysterious book transports you to a puzzle-filled deserted island in this immersive 1993 point-and-click adventure game from Cyan.

Worth Playing These Days?

N3onThr33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By N3onThr33

I've been having more and more interest in Adventure games and was wondering if the Myst games were still worth playing today. So, is it at all worthy of time these days? Or would there be a better Adventure game to start off with?

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Cerza

Yes! Yes! YES!!! The Myst games are totally worth your time, especially if you want Adventure games. I recommend getting a guide for them though as they're kind of difficult. I also recommend playing The Longest Journey if you want a great adventure game, but play it after you have played everything else, because if you play it first everything else will seem second rate.

Edit: The Sam and Max games from Telltale are also great for getting into adventure games. They are pretty easy compared to most other things in the genre, are laugh out loud funny, and just a joy to play.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By FCKSNAP
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By zitosilva

I think that any of the LucasArts adventure games are a better place to start. My I'm wrong, but the impression I've always had is that Myst was way more niche than other adventure games.

I can't say for absolute, so I'll tell you of my own experience with it. I've always loved adventure games, played a ton of them at the time and love what TellTale's been doing recently. I tried one of the Myst games and, like Cerza said, they are incredibly difficult. I couldn't do anything but walk, walk and walk, interacting with things that I had no idea what they were about, with absolutely no clue as to where I was, where I had to go or why I was there.

So, in essence, I don't think it's a good start. Though you should keep in mind that I was but a kid when I played, so maybe nowadays it would make more sense.  You said you're starting to have more interest in adventure games, so maybe you've already played but, if not, check The Secret of Monkey Island. The special edition just came out and the game is still as spetacular as it was back in the day. That's definitely a good place to start.

TheWadeBrigade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By TheWadeBrigade

I just played Myst for the first time 3 months ago and thought it was great so yes. Its a major pain to get it to run on new computers though.

jbl8199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By jbl8199

I bought this recently from the Playstation Network via PSOne Classics, and already I'm lost as to what to do(my first Myst game). I kinda get you gotta figure out the puzzles and stuff on your own, but geez this game is hard. I'd recommend a guide if this is your first Myst game. I'll probably have to end up using one even though I don't really want to. It's not a bad game, just unusually difficult.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By PeezMachine

Definitely. The very simple design has aged pretty well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.