Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

Nintendo's "New 3DS" adds some additional control functionality and horsepower, allowing for some games that can only run on the new hardware, not on Nintendo's original 3DS.

Am I using the C-Stick wrong?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I've been sour on the nub since I got the system but I'm having issues using it in majoras mask. Sometimes it feels unresponsive, especially when trying to pan the camera up or down it just moves a tiny bit, and has made me question how I'm supposed to be using this thing.

Do I rub my thumb across the top? Do I press along the sides? Does pressure down on the edges affect it? I feel like I'm pressing on it pretty hard sometimes, and I also try using my nail to press on the top edge to pan the camera down but I feel like that is going to damage the rubber over time.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Judging from the Gamespot video, it seems to be a tilt and less of a press thing.

Also, not the first time I've seen trouble with nubs *nudge nudge wink wink*

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@gaff: hey now take that back

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#4  Edited By alistercat

@gaff: I couldn't think of a way to avoid sexual innuendo, it's almost impossible when describing how I'm 'touching it'.

Also, it doesn't move at all so there's no tilt.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ViciousReiven

I feel like this is mainly a problem with MM3D's sensitivity, if you do the calibration thing to test to make sure the thing is working it gives you a little test screen showing the stick's range of motion with a little crosshair, I can move that crosshair with excellet precision and it becomes obvious that MM uses a big deadzone that the stick itself doesn't have.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Jorbit

Okay so I've been using it a ton in Monster Hunter 4, and it's my main thing for camera control now (I don't even use the lock-on). Here's what I've found:

• Flicking it to re-adjust the camera is the only way to not get frustrated with it and your thumb. So if you need the camera to go to the left, push it until the camera gets there and let go. Don't leave your thumb on there like it's an analog stick.
    • Don't expect feedback from it - the feedback comes from the game you're playing. This was the most frustrating thing for me at first.
    • If your hands are sweaty then give up on using it for the time being. Your thumb will slip over the rubber, and combined with the lack of feedback you'll be pushing harder and harder on it until I eventually found myself clawing at it with my fingernail to get it to register movement.
    • It took me about 3 hours to get used to using it comfortably, but it still has its moments.

So basically it's something you nudge. Try not to use it like an analog stick and it'll feel better. I do a combination of rubbing the top and pushing the sides, I can't really say which one works better because I'm not paying attention while I'm doing it.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#7  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Think of it like a track ball; once your thumb reaches the edge you're barely going to be able to move it, so you need to take your thumb off and then move across it again.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

You gotta whack that banana off.

The screen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.