Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

Nintendo's "New 3DS" adds some additional control functionality and horsepower, allowing for some games that can only run on the new hardware, not on Nintendo's original 3DS.

New 3DS or New 3DS XL?

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

After the most recent Nintendo Direct I've been kind of wanting to grab a New 3DS to catch up on some 3DS games I've missed and to have some SNES games on the go. The problem is I'm kind of torn on which version to get. I was really hoping on grabbing the 20th Pokemon Anniversary edition, but it seems to be sold out everywhere. It is also one of the few ways to acquire the standard New 3DS as the XL is the main version sold here in the states. Another issue is that Gamestop is currently selling New 3DS XL's for $25 off and that promotion ends on the 8th. I owned a launch 3DS for a while and felt it was a little cramped. Is the New 3DS slightly bigger and more ergonomic? I tried a New 3DS XL at a kiosk and it seemed massive. Duders, I need help.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Definitely XL. Once you start playing on an XL, it's incredibly hard to go back to a regular-sized 3DS.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

The XL's screen size is awesome and it's really pretty light. I find it pretty comfortable

I completely agree with @beachthunder

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Definitely XL. Once you start playing on an XL, it's incredibly hard to go back to a regular-sized 3DS.

@slag said:

The XL's screen size is awesome and it's really pretty light. I find it pretty comfortable

All aboard team XL.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder said:

@slag said:

All aboard team XL.

Fuck you guys, FACEPLATES.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

My hands cramped up playing on a regular 3DS. I haven't held the regular new version but it doesn't look much bigger. XL is the way to go.

Avatar image for redsquirrelbrown
    RedSquirrelBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had the old XL and got the standard New and definitely prefer it. I'd just see if you can get your hands on one before you purchase

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By Sergio

The screen of the New 3DS is bigger than the screen of the previous version. I have both previous versions of 3DS and 3DS XL. I found the bigger 3DS to not be as well constructed as the smaller version, it's not as portable, and I thought the size of the screen actually made some games look worse. I don't know if that has changed with the New 3DS XL. I ended up getting a New 3DS instead of the XL and have found it to be a happy medium of what I was looking for: bigger screen that doesn't look as bad as the even larger screen, and still fits in a back pocket.

And yes, it is cool to personalize it with faceplates.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

100% the regular New 3DS. The build quality is much nicer than the XL and to me it's one of the most comfortable handhelds I've used. Plus it's actually, you know, portable.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Rebel_Scum

@acidbrandon18 said:

I've been kind of wanting to grab a New 3DS to catch up on some 3DS games I've missed and to have some SNES games on the go.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you man but there are no SNES games on 3ds. Nintendo's being a jerk in that respect.

I've had an XL and upgraded to the new 3ds when it came out. The 3d is better, having the right hand analog stick (its really a nub) is essential and despite its looks is really comfortable. The New 3ds is lighter than the XL which really counts. Also it plays Xenoblade Chronicles whereas the XL doesn't...what more could you want?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@rebel_scum: They literally just released the first batch of SNES games on New 3DS. Super Metroid, LttP, and others are coming within the next month.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main thing I'm wondering is if it is worth it to track down a new 3DS or is the new xl 3DS a better alternative. I'm trying to find out now since the XL's are on sale.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The main thing I'm wondering is if it is worth it to track down a new 3DS or is the new xl 3DS a better alternative. I'm trying to find out now since the XL's are on sale.

It'd be easier to get a New 3DS XL. I think the New 3DS is still only available in bundles. At least when I got mine.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:
    @acidbrandon18 said:

It'd be easier to get a New 3DS XL. I think the New 3DS is still only available in bundles. At least when I got mine.

True. Another downside of being forced to get one of the bundles is I think they both only have the faceplates and not a normal casing for the system which is kind of a bummer.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

i had a launch 3DS all of the way up to the New 3DS XL and i could never ever go back to that regular size. it's just so much better

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really love the size of the xl. Sure, it's not very portable but it feels a lot better while playing than a regular sized ds

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rebel_Scum

@beachthunder said:

@rebel_scum: They literally just released the first batch of SNES games on New 3DS. Super Metroid, LttP, and others are coming within the next month.

lol, I just opened the e-shop to find they're selling Super Mario World and Earthbound right now. Maybe I should do that again and it will come true? ...and they will release The Secret of Mana, Blackthorne and Super International Cricket on Virtual Shop.

The funny thing about this is that they're only available on New 3ds. There's gonna be heaps of pissed off people with that one.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:
    @lilman1101 said:
    @beachthunder said:

@slag said:

All aboard team XL.

All aboard team FACEPLATES.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cracked my old small 3ds to play imported jap games and the screen size is near unusable now. I used to be in the camp of "O the XL is too large" but the quality is well worth it. Carry a bag or some shit get fancy with it

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Shivoa

Team FACEPLATES.

The increased size vs the "old" 3DS makes a big difference. Anything larger and the display would look really blocky (at least to my hawkish vision) and even with my comically large hands, it doesn't feel too small or hard to handle. It's not the cramp-inducing mess that some of the previous Ninty portables have been for me. And you can pocket it, so there's more chance you'll just quickly grab it to give you 10 minutes play time in between doing other things, out and about.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I don't currently have a 3DS, but I plan on getting one of the regular-sized ones soon. I had both a regular XL and the new XL and never felt entirely comfortable with them. They just felt too heavy, too large, and too unwieldy for me to enjoy using them. Now, I've never seen a regular 3DS in person, so maybe I'll end up regretting the decision, but my past experiences make me entirely on the side of the "small" 3DS.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warpr said:
    @teddie said:
    @lilman1101 said:
    @beachthunder said:

@slag said:

All aboard team XL.

All aboard team FACEPLATES.

I'm putting up a vote for Team XL, not you rebel faceplate scum!

But also I haven't tried the regular one so I can't vouch for it, but I do enjoy my XL. It's nice and big but still fits in my jacket pocket if I ever take it anywhere. I can play for a long time too.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

What's more important to you? Impressing goers-by with how sick your 3DS looks with its sweet custom faceplate? Or having a significantly better time playing your games?

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XL FTW

sumo73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already have a 3DS XL and like the larger screens than the DS from before so I would go with the New 3DS XL.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I've flip flopped between all the versions -- 3DS > 3DS XL > New 3DS XL > New 3DS. I went crazy back and forth between the two sizes because I couldn't decide which one felt right (they both felt off IMO). I have fairly big hands and experienced a lot of cramping with the original 3DS. That said, the New 3DS is the perfect size. The screen size is bigger than the original 3DS, it's just way more comfortable to hold and it actually fits in my pocket.

There's trade offs between both the regular and XL though. I can try to break down what I've experienced having had both the New 3DS XL and New 3DS regular.

New 3DS:

• Games look nicer since they're not being stretched on a larger screen
    • The screen size is what I consider to be the perfect size (bigger than the 3DS OG and smaller than the 3DS XL)
    • This is only really noticeable if you have the two units side by side, if you just have an XL you won't even notice it
    • It's more portable in terms of just fitting it into a pocket
      • If you're mainly playing at home or throwing it in a backpack then it's a non-issue
    • The cover plates are pretty awesome - and there's a ton to choose from to customize it however you'd like
    • The range of volume on the speakers is lower than the New 3DS XL
    • The battery life is slightly worse

New 3DS XL:

• The larger screens are much appreciated, especially with games that utilize the bottom screen
    • The range of volume on the speakers is pretty loud compared to the New 3DS
    • The battery lasts a bit longer than the New 3DS
    • My hands actually cramped more with the New 3DS XL during my daily commutes than my New 3DS
    • It's noticeably heavier compared to the New 3DS, which was pretty off-putting

In either case you're getting a platform with a lot of great games and with the same features across both models. I personally prefer the New 3DS over the New 3DS XL, just due to the size/portability.

It's just too bad Nintendo makes it difficult to get the regular sized one in North America. I got lucky enough to get the Pokemon Bundle, but it'd be nice if they just sold that stand alone along with the New 3DS XL.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.