Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

Nintendo's "New 3DS" adds some additional control functionality and horsepower, allowing for some games that can only run on the new hardware, not on Nintendo's original 3DS.

Purchasing advice and IPS screens

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Hey duders,

I need some purchasing advice, I currently have a 3ds xl and am thinking about upgrading to the new 3ds XL and have a few questions:

Anyone heard about the IPS upgrade for the screen http://www.geek.com/games/new-3ds-xl-has-a-superior-ips-display-the-new-3ds-does-not-1617933/ does it make a noticable difference.

For Monster hunter and Majoras mask how essential is the nub?

Does the 3d tracking make it noticeably better?

Im really torn on the purchase Ive place a ton of the monster hunter 4 demo on my reg 3dsxl and it seemed fine but I dont know if its one of those things that as soon as you try it you wonder how you ever got on.

Many thanks in advance.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

#2  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Haven't played Monster Hunter but I can answer the other questions.

The IPS screen does look better and has better viewing angles, but it's not going to blow you away or anything.

The nub is entirely unessential for Majora's Mask. While it's nice at times, the original N64 game was designed without free camera movement in mind so it's never necessary.

The 3D tracking works really well, and actually gives this neat panning effect as you tilt the screen left and right and your viewpoint into the world slightly shifts as you see more of the left pixels than the right and vise-versa. I've only had the 3D not work for a second or so when I look away from the 3DS and then suddenly look back.

Also I feel it's worth mentioning that the New 3DS XL just feels way better than the old 3DS XL, it's the first 3DS model I've found comfortable to hold, and the speedier menus are also really nice. If you use your 3DS often enough I'd say the upgrade is absolutely worth it.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I mainly noticed that the viewing angles were better as well as the brightness but the low resolution of the thing keeps me from being blown away. The biggest difference for me about the whole New 3DS is the stable 3D, I always keep it on now

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

You want a 3DS that is faster, has a better screen with higher resolution and more memory? Get a Vita.

Seriously though I would not upgrade now if you already have a 3DS when the number of games announced that required the new 3DS is as far as I know just one (Xenoblade). I have a 2DS and it is good enough a 3DS XL should be more than enough. Better wait for the next proper successor. Or get a Vita.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By sodapop7

The increased speed and stable 3D have made it worth it alone. The tracking especially is fantastic, I keep it in 3D way more than I used to (as someone else already mentioned). The nub takes getting used to but is way better than the other camera control methods in those games.

I would sell your old 3DS XL and that can help offset the cost a good deal, I sold mine to a friend for $100. Oh and don't get a Vita.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I can't tell you how it compares to the old version since the New 3DS XL is my first 3DS. I will say that the 3D tracking works really well. I am constantly juggling it about and it keeps the image about 90% sharp when moving and spot on when still. I can't fathom how people played anything without it.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Ok thanks everybody, leaning more towards going for it at this point, also I already have a Vita :)

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm one of the few that absolutely loved the ORIGINAL 3d effect to death. I got the new one and the glow in the dark faceplates for supreme nerdness and I don't regret it. The 3d effect itself is not better at all but the screen has a little bit better contrast and it's 100% stable for me. If you look away it'll only take half a second to re-adjust the image for you. It's awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.