Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NHL 12

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 13, 2011

The 20th annual installment of EA Sports hockey, featuring the Winter Classic and an expanded physics engine.

Who downloaded the demo? What do you think?

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By btman

I just downloaded the demo and have played about 10 games so far. I like it a lot so far. Feels more realistic. The players movements look smoother and the AI has greatly increased. I might have found a scoring glitch in the last game so I'm gonna have test it out...hopefully they patch it before the release. Has anyone else played it yet?

Avatar image for mustachioeugene
    mustachioeugene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By mustachioeugene

I just made a topic about this, was wondering if anyone had played it yet. I d/l'ed but just didn't feel like booting it up. I will fire up some games tomorrow and see how it handles. 

Also, Go Red Wings.

Darkerkamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Darkerkamikaze

It felt like I was playing NHL 11, which isn't the worst thing in the world seeing as EA's NHL series has been one of the better sports games out there the past few years. The Be A Pro mode still feels just like it has for a few years now with the addition of simming to get on the ice and I still have no interest in Hockey Ultimate Team. Overall not the biggest upgrade in the world, but still enough for me to pick it up and at least I got to play as the Bruins in the demo :p.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#4  Edited By MightyDuck
    @btman

I enjoyed the demo as well.  Although, I was expecting a bit more in terms of changes.  Still, it felt good.  I like the way the skating feels in this years game as well.  It's a bit slower and more realistic.  The replays were more distinguishable as well, which I liked as well.

I have it preordered from Amazon because of the $20 credit.  Anyone who has it on ps3 feel free to add me for a game or two.  My PSN name is GetWhatYaGive.  Just make sure you put your from GB for NHL 12 so I know who it is.
    Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Franstone

NHL 2012.
    Just like NHL 2011.
    Except this year we put a 2012 on the front. 

I tried the demo, good fun as always. 
    Just pretty much the same good fun as it was when I last bought it in 2009 
    : ) 

I might have to purchase 2012 though since my Bruins won it this year and are probably ranked #1. 
    Damn you stupid silly self...
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By subject2change

I like the idea of the legends, I feel the puck is more bouncey now which is a good thing. Better for rebounds and stuff, I felt previous versions slapshots would barely bounce off the pads.

Also Roy is in the Legend mode, so i'll probably have to pick it up. Despite not really ever playing Goalie in the game.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#7  Edited By MightyDuck
    @Franstone

That's exactly how I felt, in regards to it being like NHL 11.  There just isn't as much of an update as there has been in previous games.  That being said, it's still growing on me. 

@Subject2Change

I'm still curious how all the legends play out.  Do you just put the legend on a current team?  Do you get the team the legend was on from the past?  I'm excited to play as Jeremy Roenick.  He was my favorite Hawk growing up.
    Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dizzyhippos

Anyone else having the demo just straight lock up out of no ware?

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By subject2change
    @GetWhatYagive said:
    @Franstone

That's exactly how I felt, in regards to it being like NHL 11.  There just isn't as much of an update as there has been in previous games.  That being said, it's still growing on me. 

@Subject2Change:   I'm still curious how all the legends play out.  Do you just put the legend on a current team?  Do you get the team the legend was on from the past?  I'm excited to play as Jeremy Roenick.  He was my favorite Hawk growing up.
    Not sure, I assume maybe it's like playing their career? or like highlight games or something like that. I'm curious though as to the licensing of the other retired  but not as big players. I know my friend is upset Messier isn't it. 

The legends thing and how I feel about the puck being more bouncy is the reason I may end up picking this up. However Amazon cut it from 20 to 10 for a future purchase...
    Disengage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Disengage

@Subject2Change said:

@GetWhatYagive said:
    @Franstone:

That's exactly how I felt, in regards to it being like NHL 11. There just isn't as much of an update as there has been in previous games. That being said, it's still growing on me.

@Subject2Change: I'm still curious how all the legends play out. Do you just put the legend on a current team? Do you get the team the legend was on from the past? I'm excited to play as Jeremy Roenick. He was my favorite Hawk growing up.
    Not sure, I assume maybe it's like playing their career? or like highlight games or something like that. I'm curious though as to the licensing of the other retired but not as big players. I know my friend is upset Messier isn't it. The legends thing and how I feel about the puck being more bouncy is the reason I may end up picking this up. However Amazon cut it from 20 to 10 for a future purchase...

You aren't playing highlight games from their career, some of the unlocks are some of their highlights. I'm hoping it's just like MVP Baseball was where unlocking legends gave the option of having them as free agents in dynasty mode.

ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By ShadowVirus

Yeah I downloaded and played it, the last NHL game I played was NHL 08 so this feels incredibly different to me, much more realistic, good animations and everything feels like his has weight too it. In 08 you could skate and pass the puck quickly. 

I like it and will probably end up buying it for 360.

Zelnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zelnox

Sounds promising. The last one I got was 2008.

mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By mx

Despite being from Europe  and having never played a hockey game before. My expectations weren't exactly high.But it turned out to be quite good fun.

shootermcclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By shootermcclay

I like being able to hit goalies. I can't stand how some goaltenders *Tim Thomas* are starting to flop every time they get touched. I feel like I am watching soccer when it happens. I don't want to watch a bunch of pussy actors when I am watching hockey.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By ProfessorEss

I skipped 11 so I kinda feel due. 
    I played so much local 2 on 2 in 10 that things haven't been the same since I moved out of the office, but a big enough change to the overall feel could rejuvenate me. 

I should check it out tonight. 

(EG/MB1 ;))

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By metalmoog

Despite not having players from the best team around on the cover this year, I'll still have to pick it up because Jeremy Roenick is in it. Oh and because I can finally smash that French Canadian twat into the crossbar and hopefully injure him!

Disengage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Disengage

@shootermcclay said:

I like being able to hit goalies. I can't stand how some goaltenders *Tim Thomas* are starting to flop every time they get touched. I feel like I am watching soccer when it happens. I don't want to watch a bunch of pussy actors when I am watching hockey.

Goalies have been flopping every time they're touched since the beginning of time. It's nothing new.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By jay_ray

I really enjoyed it, as a person who played a fair amount of NHL 11 it seems to me that while there is not a huge change they definitely tweaked aspects to make it feel smoother and more realistic.

BurningVegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By BurningVegas
    @btman
    I found a few goal scoring glitches that are similar or the same from NHL11. I really hope they are fixed at least in online play. 

As for the rest of the demo I am loving it. The fact that you can hit goalies, break away the net, struggle for screen plays in front of the goalie, and the legends make this game an easy buy for me.
    hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hockeymask27

meh,,,,,,,,,,,,

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.