Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 17, 2011

A role-playing game developed by Level-5 and animated sequences produced by Studio Ghibli Inc.

The Wizards Handbook

Worcanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Worcanna

So, for people who don't know (just incase). The Wizard version of the game comes with a 300+ page (some says 340, others don't) book that you have in game and can be found in the menu, that is needed to complete the game itself. Think of it as a in game strat-guide. The idea of a physical version of something found in game, having a real use for the game itself, has always been a interesting idea and i wanted to know what you guys thought about it. I know the DS version also did this but i wondered if anyone else is as giddy as me to hear about this little thing or if people had any information on it other then what ive said. ^_^

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@Worcanna said:

book that you have in game and can be found in the menu, that is needed to complete the game itself.

What does this mean exactly? You have to read the book in order to be able to finish the game?

Camoufrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Camoufrage

@PeasantAbuse: Obviously a typo or misunderstanding. Pretty sure he just means it'll help you complete the game.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Grissefar

@Camoufrage said:

@PeasantAbuse: Obviously a typo or misunderstanding. Pretty sure he just means it'll help you complete the game.

Wrong!!

I think it is also used to solve puzzles here and there, perhaps sort of like opening the book in Uncharted.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince

Wait, what are you guys talking about? Is this like a Metal Gear Solid thing where you need to look on the game case to figure some puzzle and beat the game?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Barrock

The DS version came with a book that required you use it to be the game.

The PS3 version has that book in the game virtually. There was a special version that came with a physical copy as well.

aquacadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By aquacadet

@LiquidPrince said:

Wait, what are you guys talking about? Is this like a Metal Gear Solid thing where you need to look on the game case to figure some puzzle and beat the game?

Yes according to some of the reviews there are puzzles that require you to open the virtual or physical copy of the book to look up hints (or answers) to puzzles. It's a kind of neat idea, but I could see it border on total gimmick too.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ravenlight

The fact that there's a "Wizard Version" has made me 300% more interested in this game.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MikkaQ

Man that doesn't sound fun at all... shit I was just about to pull the trigger on PSN store.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By musubi

That sounds....really gimmicky. I dunno man I think I'll just check this out when its $20.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Benny

@Demoskinos: @MikkaQ: @PeasantAbuse: Ok, you've all grossly misunderstood this. The collectors edition of the game comes with the equivalent of the Mass Effect 3 codex in physical form. that's it.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zeik

That's not entirely true, as the contents of the book are actually needed to accomplish certain things in the game. Obviously it's not necessary to have the physical book though since there's a digital version of it in the game.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#13  Edited By gla55jAw

@MikkaQ said:

Man that doesn't sound fun at all... shit I was just about to pull the trigger on PSN store.

Well, your main character carries around the physical book and casts spells out of it. You find missing sheets throughout the game, which usually adds new spells and abilities. I'm only a few hours in and haven't had to use it for puzzles, but I think it's works, since Oliver (the main character) is actually lugging this thing around and using it.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

@gla55jAw said:

@MikkaQ said:

Well, your main character carries around the physical book and casts spells out of it. You find missing sheets throughout the game, which usually adds new spells and abilities. I'm only a few hours in and haven't had to use it for puzzles, but I think it's works, since Oliver (the main character) is actually lugging this thing around and using it.

Okay, that's not so bad. I thought I'd have to search through the 300+ pages each time a puzzle comes up. I can handle incremental pages.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By project343

@aquacadet said:

@LiquidPrince said:

Yes according to some of the reviews there are puzzles that require you to open the virtual or physical copy of the book to look up hints (or answers) to puzzles. It's a kind of neat idea, but I could see it border on total gimmick too.

The game has a lot in common with Pokemon. As such, having a giant compendium of 'Familiar" stats is really useful. Also, when you zoom into the drawings of the familiars, they come alive with the actual in-game model (sort of like the Harry Potter newspaper thing). Really neat effect. It sounds like a sluggish pain, but it actually works much better than what you'd imagine an 'in-game PDF viewer' would be.

@MikkaQ said:

@gla55jAw said:

@MikkaQ said:

Okay, that's not so bad. I thought I'd have to search through the 300+ pages each time a puzzle comes up. I can handle incremental pages.

In-game, it's set in front of you as a deck of cards spread out across a table. You zoom into different subcategories, and see similar desks of cards. You can easily see where you would look for certain pieces of information at a quick glance, then you can quickly zoom into the proper territory to find it without a hassle. I 'wish' I could find a video of the process online, but I'm not seeing anything anywhere. Rest assured, it's actually a pretty neat little system.

*Edit:

Giantbomb's Quicklook @39:56.

If this 'feature' concerns you, I highly recommend you look at the above. It is super impressive.

Dchao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dchao

Anyone know if this is available in the UK? Already preordered the game and can't wait though.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By doobie

not sure about a wizards book but my gf has a wizards sleeve

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.