Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nier

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 22, 2010

Nothing is as it seems. Nier must travel the world in search of a cure for his daughter who has been infected with the deadly "Black Scrawl" virus. How far will you go to save someone you love?

When a game makes fun of itself, you know it's bad.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By shivermetimbers

I'm a couple of hours into this game (I'm at the dungeon with all of those rule puzzles) and I'm, let's say, intrigued at the amount of times this game tends to make fun of its boring/bad design. When given a fetch quest for example, your book sidekick Weiss will say something along the lines of: "Another fetch quest, why don't we do something interesting?" This is just one example of many. The game tends to do it a lot and I don't know whether or not I should laugh at it.

It's like Duke Nukem Forever when Duke says: "Valve puzzles suck" and yet the player is forced to do it.

Any other examples of games that do this?

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TentPole

That game has a great story, but it is awful as fuck and nothing can make up for that.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Not exactly. if the game establishes something as bad game design and then practices said game design without a hint of irony, humor, or sarcasm, then that's a problem, but Nuts & Bolts wasn't a bad game because it made fun of collect-a-thons in its first minute.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By falling_fast

Saints Row the Third makes fun of itself. it is a good game.

also, I like Nier :/. it is flawed, but it has some interesting things going on.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Nux

Nier is awesome and I will fight all that says otherwise! But yeah it had some problems but I don't think it being self aware at times is one of them.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By frankfartmouth

Bard's Tale was stuffed with that kind of shit.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Nier I found was just a really "mellow" game. The art and design was not totally exuberant and the combat I found to be really easy (dark fist all day every day). I despised some things about the end chapter, though.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Vorbis

Nier is one of the best games this generation, keep playing, it has a slow start.

Also a second playthrough is required to understand anything that's going on, don't stop after the "final" boss.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.