Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ninja Gaiden 3

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 20, 2012

Ninja Gaiden 3 is the first main entry in the modern Ninja Gaiden series not to be directed by former Team Ninja head Tomonobu Itagaki. NG3 features new game mechanics, a focus on consequence and 8-player online modes.

NG3 is all hype and no delivery

terrancejwatts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By terrancejwatts

i just finished the game and it only took me a day, it'll be back at gamestop before they close tonight. i'm a die-hard NG fan and i'm appalled. my advice is to write it off and save yourself time and money. storyline sucks, combos are weak, combat has no depth, and as far as i know there is no item shop or weapon selection. i'll just stick with NG black and NG sigma 2 while denying this game even exists.....Oh and so everyone knows. one of the founding fathers of ninja gaiden quit the team because he couldn't convince the rest of the team to change the game. what does that tell YOU?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

@terrancejwatts: Whatever dude. There are ALL the combos in the old games and even some new ones. Theres TONS of new ways to combo into the Izuna Drop. The combat has plenty of depth you just can't play it like the previous two games. Shurikens, Wind Jumping and Wall attacks are almost ever a decent option in a fight but the actual ground combat is great.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

You can pretty much do all the same combos from the old games granted you don't just mash the square button...

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TentPole

If you play on hard there is no way you can get by with button mashing. Day 4 is kicking my ass.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By CheapPoison

Was there even hype?

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By AssInAss

Would you say it's more foreplay but no release?

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TentPole

Come hard or don't come at all.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By redbliss

Did it even have hype?

Rumour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rumour

I haven't played this yet, but my biggest concern is that orbs don't rise out of enemies after they die. (Well at least in the quick look they didn't)

That would be a huge problem for me because all I used to do was the instant ultimate technique by sucking up those orbs... So is that no longer in the game? Do I have to stand there and charge my ultimate technique like a sucker now?

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By niamahai

How's the ending!?

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11  Edited By zyn

Is it as difficult as the previous games?

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CptBedlam

@terrancejwatts: Why stick to the toned-down, gore-less Sigma 2? Stick to Ninja Gaiden 2!

Dragon_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dragon_Blade

He beat it on easy mode. No way it took him a few hours on hard mode. He's a dirty troll or just being obnoxious but either it's his loss. I have the CE and i don't regret it at all.

terrancejwatts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By terrancejwatts

@Dragon_Blade: believe what u want, i've got nothing to prove. and it took me almost 30 hours.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NegativeCero
    @CheapPoison

Was there even hype?

@redbliss

Did it even have hype?

terrancejwatts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By terrancejwatts

@LiquidPrince: get to the second to last boss on hard and then talk shit. till then shut the fuck up

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By napalm

@AssInAss said:

Would you say it's more foreplay but no release?

If there's no release during foreplay, then she's probably doing it wrong. Or you're doing it wrong.

I should go.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@TentPole said:

Come hard or don't come at all.

Good things come in ninjas....wait

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LiquidPrince

@terrancejwatts said:

@LiquidPrince: get to the second to last boss on hard and then talk shit. till then shut the fuck up

Apparently you didn't understand what I said... So your autopilot response was to be a jackass. I was SUPPORTING the game by saying that all the old combos ARE still in the game, so if you do anything other then just mash square you will be able to have a way more varied set of gameplay.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By TobbRobb

@terrancejwatts said:

Hey, new users. How fun.

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By jakkblades

The customization of weapons and special moves are just important to me as any perceived notion of relative difficulty. Yet no one has addressed these issues to me.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By artelinarose

so glad this merge with gamespot brought intelligent users with constructive posts

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NTM

You mean, NO hype, no delivery?

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TentPole

@terrancejwatts said:

...Oh and so everyone knows. one of the founding fathers of ninja gaiden quit the team because he couldn't convince the rest of the team to change the game. what does that tell YOU?

I am pretty sure you pulled that out of your ass and don't know what you are talking about.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By clumsyninja1

Try Ninja Gaiden II for the 360, it will own you no matter what...

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By OneManX

Yo... this game is kinda lame compared to the other games.

You should probably play the other games.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BoOzak

@TentPole said:

@terrancejwatts said:

...Oh and so everyone knows. one of the founding fathers of ninja gaiden quit the team because he couldn't convince the rest of the team to change the game. what does that tell YOU?

I am pretty sure you pulled that out of your ass and don't know what you are talking about.

He didnt quit because he couldnt convince the team to change the game, he quit because he wasnt given his bonus for working on Ninja Gaiden 2. This has since been settled out of court, but the experience resulted in him (Tomonobu Itagaki) leaving the company, along with all the core staff at Team Ninja.

As for the game, a few key techniques were stripped out, most notably the guillotine throw. I'm guessing this had something to do with the limited invunerability glitch that occured in 2 that would allow people to continously GT people without taking any damage, seems like a lazy fix to to me but I never used the move. It didnt seem useful in 2 anyway. (aside from the glitch)

And yeah as the OP has said the lack of additional weapons and shops sucks. Personally I miss healing items, choosing when to use them or save them added some extra depth to the game. The story was also complete trash, granted 1&2's were pretty terrible but they all felt like they were excuses to get you from one place to another. Here the cutscenes just take up time and make you feel like less of a badass in the process.

I beat the game on "Normal" initially I played on "Hard" because i'd beaten the first 2 that way but after realising that the only difference was: enemys do more damage, you do less damage. I said "fuck it, the game's already a grind, and all this is doing is making it more tedious" and for those of you who say "All games difficulty scaling works that way" you're wrong. NG1 not only had items and weapons placed in different locations but you'd fight completely different enemys, some of which werent even featured in the the default difficulty at all.

One of my friends who's admittedly better at the game than me went through it on Hard, and the saddest part is he got less achievements than I did. Now normally this wouldnt matter (especially if you dont give 2 shits about achievements/trophys) because if the game were any good you could easily just beat normal and get the other 2 achievements and call it a day, but the games so bad we just wanted to get rid of it. Another playthrough just seemed like torture.

And the multiplayer is laugably bad, I woud've much rathered more single player trials. The only reason I prefer single player to co-op is enemys dont seem to react well to multiple people hitting them, which for me ruined the experience (competitive and co-op) I guess all games need to have multiplayer though these days so this would've been easily forgiveable had the story not been stuffed with cringe worthy cutscenes, tons of bugs and QTE's.

Even somebody who isnt willing to commit to a challenge and would rather play games like God of War or Dante's Inferno etc. have better options available to them, at least those games had upgradable items and some variety. Not to mention NG3 never even comes close to the epicness of the set peices featured in those games. Honestly I think Conan is a better game than this, and i'm not joking.

(Sorry... I just had to get that off my chest, I really loved the first two games)

EDIT: As "TentPole" has pointed out it was DOA4 not NG2 that resulted in Itagaki leaving, still you can be sure none of this would've happend had he not.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.