Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Just Picked Up a XL, Few Questions

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Pessh

Got a white 3ds xl from Amazon today with Mario Kart 7 preloaded. Pretty pleased with it so far, last handheld I bought was a dslite so it's a pretty cool, although the game I bought it for won't be out for another four months =(

The hinge seems too be a little loose though, the top screen will wobble a bit, but read that's maybe by design to stop anything from cracking. Is everyone's like this or should I send it back?

And any recommendations for what I should pick up nextt? Like I said, it came with Mario Kart preloaded, also bought Theatrhythm, and I'm getting the new Layton free in January as part of some weird Nintendo promotion. Thinking maybe Resident Evil Revelations or Sticker Star? (Brother already has 3D Land and OoT so not picking those up.) Thanks.

DocPorpoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DocPorpoise

pushmo and crashmo are pretty great. as for the hinge can't help you there my 3ds isn't a xl.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By EarlessShrimp

I gotta say mine locks pretty well in place. My 3DS small did the wobbly thing. But, I'm not sure whether mine is different. I think they had a video of an unboxing of a 3ds xl and it pretty firmly locked in place. I wouldn't worry about it though, nothing to return the system for. As for games... You should try out sticker star. It's actually pretty good! Umm... Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is strangely addictive and Rhythm Thief & The Emperor's Treasure was quite entertaining.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Kerned

My month-old XL has the slightest wobble when it's open, but nothing that worries me. It seems normal to me.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pessh

@Kerned said:

My month-old XL has the slightest wobble when it's open, but nothing that worries me. It seems normal to me.

Yeah it's only a little bit on mine, still locked at the clicked position, hoping that give is there on all of them.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By egg

if I got a 3DS I wouldn't know whether to get XL or not, I think since I use handhelds at home XL is obviously better but I'm not sure it will be as comfortable, plus the top screen is a wild card. Even with a DSi the top screen can be annoying sometimes and one time it actually snapped to a different position because of a button mashing sequence.

I think if it were PSP/Vita, an XL version would be a home run for me, funnily enough, whereas with DS/3DS it's not a sure thing. Come to think of it there's also the Circle Pad Pro, why not have the option for that.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By yoshimitz707

My XL wobbles quite a bit but it's usually not a problem.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By AndrewB

@Pessh said:

Got a white 3ds xl from Amazon today with Mario Kart 7 preloaded. Pretty pleased with it so far, last handheld I bought was a dslite so it's a pretty cool, although the game I bought it for won't be out for another four months =(

The hinge seems too be a little loose though, the top screen will wobble a bit, but read that's maybe by design to stop anything from cracking. Is everyone's like this or should I send it back?

And any recommendations for what I should pick up nextt? Like I said, it came with Mario Kart preloaded, also bought Theatrhythm, and I'm getting the new Layton free in January as part of some weird Nintendo promotion. Thinking maybe Resident Evil Revelations or Sticker Star? (Brother already has 3D Land and OoT so not picking those up.) Thanks.

I've never owned a Nintendo handheld since the original DS which hasn't had a flawed hinge. Both the Original and Lite models I had cracked in half from normal use, and the same looseness plagues my original model 3DS.

Pushmo/Crashmo are essential. You have *most* of the essentials either on your list or already owned, so I guess I can't offer much more besides Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, but only if it looks like the sort of game you'd like (and I suppose with Layton on that list, it *might* be.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I hear fantastic things about Sticker Star, I'm still waiting on some extra cash to grab it for myself though. I can say that if you haven't played any of the "New" Super Mario games, New Super Mario Bros. 2 is quite good - but that's from a perspective of playing none of the others. I'd bet it'd be stale after playing even a single other one.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Vinny_Says

Mario 3D land is the only noteworthy title as of now. I hear they're porting Majora's Mask to the 3DS, so if it's anything like that Ocarina of Time remake it'll just be another bitter reminder that nintendo has given up on making clever titles that can only be played on their unique platforms.

What I'm basically saying is that Phantom Hourglass was the last great nintendo game.

As for the wobble I'm sure it's fine, I think my 3DS wobbles a bit too. Oddly enough I'm excited to see what the next Pokemon game will be because at this point it seems like even gamefreak has given up by just releasing Black and White 2 instead of some new color bullshit. Maybe a game that includes all 9 billion pokemon and a huge overworld, in full 3D (or hell even 2D is fine if the graphics could look like Bastion or something) could recapture the magic of playing Pokemon Red & Blue.

But I'm off topic now. Go get Pushmo and play that until your fire emblem game comes out.

Philedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Philedius
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By AndrewB

Yes. I mean, if you didn't already own a DS, there's a world of games to explore. 999 being one of them, and certainly the Pokemon games (a good place to jump aboard would be Pokemon Black or White). Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and Henry Hatsworth are also great. I can't speak for Devil Survivor: Overclocked (the 3DS enhanced edition of Devi Survivor) but it *looks* pretty good. I've heard good things about Radiant Historia.

Unfortunately a lot of the better looking releases are *still* somewhere on the horizon.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By tread311

My not XL wobbles quite a bit. Turns me off from using the device to be honest. Not that there is much I want to play on it anyway.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Vinny_Says: They've never stated they're doing Majora's Mask, but I'd be happy with that while waiting for an actual new Zelda title to appear on there. Although Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were extremely lackluster.

It's nice that they made an actual sequel to Pokemon Black/White, instead of just releasing a slightly modified version of it, but that was there chance to really shake up the formula there and they missed it. A sequel should have assumed most people had played the original and they could have used that as an opportunity to do at least some things differently. If they didn't take the chance there, I doubt they will with Gen VI.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By DeF

@Pessh: hop on the eShop and buy yourself some gems!

VVVVVV

Gunman Clive (you're from Europe, that game came out here yesterday and I love the crap out of it)

Pushmo (Pullblox)

Crashmo (Fallblox)

Mutant Mudds (comes with free post-game DLC)

Oh and get Kid Icarus Uprising. The game is frantic and hilarious.

Melanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Melanon

Just bought an XL a couple days ago and it has the wobble thing. Hasn't really affected me much while playing, but I have to admit it annoys the hell out of me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.