Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Chinese DSi comes with a free dog - not for dinner ^-^

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Chinese DSis come with Nintendogs 

Chinese DSis come with Nintendogs

by Jenni Lada on Dec 8, 2009 at 12:30 PM

The DSi will arrive in China on December 15, 2009, and it not only comes with the 1000 DSi starter points that the DSi came with in other regions like Japan and North America. The Chinese iQue DSi will also include Nintendogs.

It looks like it comes with a full version of Nintendogs: Labrador and Friends in Chinese. But, due to the DSi space constraints, one has to wonder if its actually possible to have a full DS game like Nintendogs installed on the system. It could be a demo, but all the screenshots and information on the sitesuggest it is a full game.

It looks like Nintendo’s really trying to use the includedNintendogs to sell the game. There are images of the cute virtual puppies and real puppies everywhere at the iQue DSi site. There are also downloadable wallpapers for your computer.

If it is a full version of Nintendogs, it could open up a new direction for DSiWare games. Perhaps we could start seeing digital versions of DS games available for download. It’s an interesting thought. Personally, I’d rather see a DS version of the Virtual Console, only with Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket Color and perhaps even Wonderswan games.

This would have never happened in the Cultural Revolution under Mao Zedong    (he had all the dogs killed, so he would have combined Nintendogs with Cooking Mama)   ^_^

That is one massive market to tap into and if not for rampant piracy, would be the biggest game market in the world.  It is a good idea to include a programme as massively popular as Nintendogs as part of the package, but in reality, isn't too different to a free game that seems to be on offer all the time at retail in the west. 

I like the final comments on this story.  I too wait and wait for a VC on the DSi.  It is what it sorely lacks and would be a massive success if launched.  Thoughts?
    halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By halberdierv2

knowing china, it might have been a good idea to give real dogs instead.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Hamst3r
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

I think it's likely to be a demo featuring two pups at the most.    

It will happen, there's way too much money in it for Nintendo to pass up. You should remain confident with that fact.  I too would like to see Wonderswan and Neo Geo Pocket games appear as part of any future service. The Wonderswan is very unlikely though, the vast majority of games aren't suitable for release in the West. Neo Geo Pocket titles would fare much better though, and SNK do after all release games on the Virtual Console already.

I will be happy with these, with games costing no more than 500 DSi Points: 

• PC Engine GT 
    • Gameboy 
    • Gameboy Color 
    • Gameboy Advance  
    • Sega Game Gear 
    • Neo Geo Pocket / Color 
    RiddleBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By RiddleBrother

That title, i mean... Wow.. just... wow.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By 71Ranchero

Well iQue is the name of a Nintendo download only console for China/Korea. Perhaps they are adding memory and features to the DSi for that region?  

iQue

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    @RiddleBrother said:
    " That title, i mean... Wow.. just... wow. "
    It is just a little fun.  Many Asians eat dog and I really don't have a problem with that, it is their way, so I am not precious about it.  Doesn't mean we can't make light of it so don't take it too seriously.

@Linkyshinks said:
    " I think it's likely to be a demo featuring two pups at the most.    

It will happen, there's way too much money in it for Nintendo to pass up. You should remain confident with that fact.  I too would like to see Wonderswan and Neo Geo Pocket games appear as part of any future service. The Wonderswan is very unlikely though, the vast majority of games aren't suitable for release in the West. Neo Geo Pocket titles would fare much better though, and SNK do after all release games on the Virtual Console already.

I will be happy with these, with games costing no more than 500 DSi Points: 
    • PC Engine GT 
    • Gameboy 
    • Gameboy Color 
    • Gameboy Advance  
    • Sega Game Gear 
    • Neo Geo Pocket / Color "
    The GBA games would have to be more than 500 points.  At least 800 I imagine and possibly a little higher (though I would like a cap of 800).  800 points is about $12 in Australian and that is good for a GBA game imo.
    RiddleBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RiddleBrother
    @oldschool said:
    " @RiddleBrother said:
    It is just a little fun.  Many Asians eat dog and I really don't have a problem with that, it is their way, so I am not precious about it.  Doesn't mean we can't make light of it so don't take it too seriously.

So your justification for making racists jokes is that stereotypes are true, and that it's all a bit of good fun?
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By toowalrus

Wasn't iQue like... that random Chineese N64 thing, where you could play N64 games without the console, just a controller? Weird to see that that... brand thing, is still around.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Skald

Wow, that was blatantly racist. 
    This isn't even important news. Anyone who cares is behind the great firewall of China.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By TheHBK
    you are one racist motherfucker.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By rallier
    @TooWalrus said:

" Wasn't iQue like... that random Chineese N64 thing, where you could play N64 games without the console, just a controller? Weird to see that that... brand thing, is still around. "

Yep. Well it was the Chinese N64. The Ique brand is Nintendo's tactics to win back the market share that they are losing to the mass piracy over there.

Pretty sure that it is the full game by the way. The Ique if I remember correctly does not play the standard DS games either (to prevent the use of flashcards) just the special Ique games that there are, I believe that there are about 15 out at the moment. It also has some hardware modification to support all the Chinese characters.

edit: not entirely sure about it not being able to play standard ds games.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By JJOR64

That's kinda cool I guess.  To bad that game gets old really fast.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldschool
    @RiddleBrother said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @RiddleBrother said:

So your justification for making racists jokes is that stereotypes are true, and that it's all a bit of good fun? "
    @TheHBK said:
    " you are one racist motherfucker. "
    Some people are just precious I guess.  It is only racist if you choose it to be.  If you follow your line, any joke is racist.  If I make a joke about Japanese eating whale, is that racist?  If I make a joke about Australians drinking too much beer, is that racist?  It is endless.  Different cultures do things.  Again,if we make jokes about, it is only racist if it is meant to denigrate or demean.  As I don't care if Asians eat dog (as many do), there is no denigration.  
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm jealous. I'd like to have the game. Not sure why I haven't bought it.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By eroticfishcake

I thought it came with an actual when I first saw this. Not that I would be surprised since the Chinese are bit weird.

And yes I am Chinese before anyone asks (at least in ethnicity anyway).

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Linkyshinks

@Oldschool  

What an oversight. I only added GBA to the list at the last moment. It's true they would have to be more, but 800 DSi Points seems a bit steep when you consider what can be bought for 800 Wii Points on the Wii's Virtual Console. I wouldn't be happy about spending 800 on a GBA game, when for the same price I could get a Super Nintendo or MegaDrive game. 700 max would work for me, while games in the GBA classics collection could cost 500.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Oldschool   What an oversight. I only added GBA to the list at the last moment. It's true they would have to be more, but 800 DSi Points seems a bit steep when you consider what can be bought for 800 Wii Points on the Wii's Virtual Console. I wouldn't be happy about spending 800 on a GBA game, when for the same price I could get a Super Nintendo or MegaDrive game. 700 max would work for me, while games in the GBA classics collection could cost 500. "
    I think the GBA should/would be more expensive because they are a bit more recent.  As I said, at $12 local, 800 points, I don't think that is too much to pay for a Golden Sun, or Breath of Fire et cetera.  Some of the lesser games wouldn't be worth that though.  I would pay 800 points for Mother 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.