Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

DS flash cart on Prime Time television.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

DS piracy goes primetime  

TV show stars flash cart in supporting role

If there's one thing that Nintendo loves, it's free advertising. But if there's one thing that Nintendo positively hates, it's piracy.

Taking these two things into account, we're not sure how the company will feel about its Nintendo DS console appearing on the hit US television comedy show 
    Modern Family.

In one scene, a child happily taps away at his beloved handheld, but on closer inspection it appears that the cart inside the machine shares a few similarities with the many flash cartridges currently doing the rounds at the moment – you know, the ones that Nintendo is 
    desperately trying to eradicate.

How the cart in question was able to get screen time on such a huge TV show is a mystery, although it's likely few people actually realised the nefarious nature of the device. 

Anyway, it just goes to show how ubiquitous piracy on the DS is these days.

Intentional or unintentional?  Would anyone even notice?  This is real trainspotter stuff that would only interest nerds on the internet, right? 

I think Nintendo would just ignore something this obscure.  As for the show. never heard of it.  Is it popular?
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By mracoon

No one would ever notice that. If it's a TV show then they're using props so it would make sense if they didn't actually have a real game in the DS.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Willy105

Modern Family is popular, and a critically acclaimed comedy show (although I have yet to see it).

But anyway, Nintendo mostly advertises using product placement and promotions rather than straight up ads. They are most likely responsible for putting the DS in the show, although anything beyond that is beyond their control.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By oldschool
    @Willy105 said:
    " Modern Family is popular, and a critically acclaimed comedy show (although I have yet to see it).  But anyway, Nintendo mostly advertises using product placement and promotions rather than straight up ads. They are most likely responsible for putting the DS in the show, although anything beyond that is beyond their control. "
    And I doubt Nintendo care that some obscure site on the internet spotted what "maybe" a flash cart. 

I wonder how much money they had to pay to get them to use a DS over a PSP?
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Fallen189

They dont HAVE to be used to pirate games :P
    People could use them for music too. I do, so I dont have to buy an ipod :)

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By MysteriousBob

I'm certain it'll just be a prop. 

Actually looking again, you can see where the mini SD card goes. Thats pretty funny. I guess Nintendo doesn't have to worry- the only people who would notice it are those who know what it is in advance. Those people would have already decided whether or not to get one.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman

That's crazy. I guess most people won't even notice though. I doubt it was intentional. The director o the show probably needed a DS for a scene and told that kid to bring his in or something.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Willy105
    @oldschool said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " Modern Family is popular, and a critically acclaimed comedy show (although I have yet to see it).  But anyway, Nintendo mostly advertises using product placement and promotions rather than straight up ads. They are most likely responsible for putting the DS in the show, although anything beyond that is beyond their control. "
    And I doubt Nintendo care that some obscure site on the internet spotted what "maybe" a flash cart.  I wonder how much money they had to pay to get them to use a DS over a PSP? "
    Well, they just payed to advertise the DS in the show. Unless Sony also wanted their handheld to be there, then both will probably be shown. I don't know if you can only have one.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " That's crazy. I guess most people won't even notice though. I doubt it was intentional. The director o the show probably needed a DS for a scene and told that kid to bring his in or something. "
    I think in 2&1/2 Men, the kid uses a DS in some shows, but still calls it a Gameboy.  That certainly can't be Nintendo product placement, unless they didn't specify what to call it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.