Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

ds2phone?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool
    Will the DS2 be a Nintendo-phone?
    Iwata and Miyamoto aren't saying no!
    (from pocket gamer)

DS meets iPod touch?
    DS meets iPod touch?
    It's not been an easy couple of weeks for Nintendo on its native shores. Hardware sales have been causing the company some perturbing chest pains and forcing it to pour a lot of resources into PR efforts to ensure we all know it's business as usual in the Nintendo household.

President 
    Satoru Iwata has been talking to the media a lot lately, mostly attempting (and failing) to publically ignore the iPhone and think up believable reasons for people to upgrade to a DSi, though he may have offered some small ray of hope that Nintendo's dominance is ready to be reasserted.

Although he was being very careful not to draw attention away from the recently released DSi, Iwata insisted Nintendo would not release a console as a mobile phone; 
    unless it could do so without the need for a monthly subscription.

Quite an encouraging choice of words, which game design guru Shigeru Miyamoto casually reinforced when he said: "I'm interested in [a system] when you're walking in town with your DS, you can use various services."

A system that sounds very much like current mobile and smartphone usage. Could this be Nintendo's upper echelons thinking out loud about the possibilities the DS2 could offer? Or is something already on the R&D bench?

We'll have to wait and see, but if the DS2 turns out as we dare to hope, it might be Apple stood in front of the media before long, insisting Nintendo is no threat whatsoever...

I like the possibilities, but being oldschool (pun intended), I like my games device to be a games device.  I want my phone to be as cheap as possible and be a phone, so it doesn't matter when I change it.

I particularly like the idea that the next DS would have 2 screens the size and quality of the iPod touch.

How would you react to such a device?
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By c1337us

I really hope not. I would react by probably not buying a DS2. Like you say, games device for games, phone for phone calls. Enough.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

I'd only want a phone-game system if i didnt have to pay for the calls. Otherwise, Just give me my gameboy advansterest

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By c1337us

Hopefully the ability to save and answer a call is stable. I would hate to be in the middle of a game and a phone call fuck it up. And the abilty to put people on hold while I played would nearly sell me on it come to think. Excuse me can you hold the line while I get my Professor Layton on.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    c1337us said:
    "Hopefully the ability to save and answer a call is stable. I would hate to be in the middle of a game and a phone call fuck it up. And the abilty to put people on hold while I played would nearly sell me on it come to think. Excuse me can you hold the line while I get my Professor Layton on. "
    How does it work on the iPhone?  Does it put the game on pause?

I want speakerphone so I can keep playing the game while I talk.  That could lead to some hilarity when you get angry after being hit by a shell in Mario Kart just before the finish line :-)
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By c1337us

I wouldnt know I dont have an iPhone.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Brendan

Sounds like a good idea, however, history seems to be against Nintendo.  Everyone who's tried to copy Apple has come up short, because the eyes of the consumer have always seen the second product as just a second rate apple clone.  Also, if you only own the "ds2" as your mobile phone, I can't see how battery life would be practical if you were truly trying to use it as a gaming macine while wanting the constant reliability of a phone.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Red

No. It sounds like a horrible idea. If I wanted a phone with games on it, I'd get a bloody iPhone. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    Red said:
    "No. It sounds like a horrible idea. If I wanted a phone with games on it, I'd get a bloody iPhone. "
    I have an iPod Touch and to be honest, I have had no interest in palying games on it.  Add a phone to make it an iPhone and nothing changes.  I don't want an iPhone and I won't want  a Nintendophone.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By c1337us

yeh it would have to have some pretty beefy battery power behind it.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
    c1337us said:
    "yeh it would have to have some pretty beefy battery power behind it. "
    Otherwise you may as well have a PSP :-)

Correct my ignorance, but can't you use Skype to talk with people?  Isn't that free except your internet connections?  Sorry if that sounds stupid, but I have never used it?  If Skype works, why not just use that?
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By dsplayer1010

Fuck my iPhone then

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
    dsplayer1010 said:
    "Fuck my iPhone then"
    Well, that's no way to treat an Apple product :-)

A Microsoft one maybe :P
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By c1337us
    oldschool said:
    "A Microsoft one maybe :P"
    I lol'd because its true. Damn 360 red ringing on me again.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
    c1337us said:
    "oldschool said:
    "A Microsoft one maybe :P"
    I lol'd because its true. Damn 360 red ringing on me again. "
    Seriously?  Sorry to hear it.

My 360 only gets Eternal Sonata action, but I did try Virtua Fihgter 5 today and went back to Eternal Sonata.  You shouldn't have to be paranoid every time you turn your console on.  Being in the same country, let me know how Microsoft handle it in Australia - just in case :-(
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By c1337us

Yeh will do man. If I can find my sales receipt. I still havent called them yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.