Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

DSi XL TV Advert

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Nintendo of Europe are airing the following advert for their new DS which arrives on European shores on March the 5th.  

Today I got the chance to spend some ample time with an XL, and a copy of Mario Kart. I came away from my experience thinking Nintendo are going to do it yet again  - make a shit loads of money.   

I was instantly taken back by the XL's width, I held for the first time thinking  - fuck, this thing is large, the thing is though, it didn't feel clumsy at all, on the contrary in fact, it actually feels very svelte, and way too sexy for oldies imo. The quality of the two larger screens is very impressive, it's a lot better than I expected it would be, and to think it even has better battery power than any other version.  The  D-Pad and buttons feel like those on the DSI, but due to the extra space they feel more luxurious. 

I won't be getting one after having bought a DSi at launch, but after knowing how awesome Mario Kart can look on the machine, and I Imagine many others, I'm very tempted to get one. 
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Emilio

I have to buy a new copy of Mario Kart... Looks sweet overall, but I might stick with my DSi for a wee bit longer. Maybe until they release some new wacky colors.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

I sold my DS Lite in anticipation of this. I decided there was no point in getting a DSi after this was announced.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By DCFGS3

I still maintain  it looks 'fat', especially the wine coloured one.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

3 inches to 4.2 inches does not make it 93% larger.  So much for math.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@DCFGS3: You look fat.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

You silly kids and your willingness to buy slightly updated versions of 5-year-old hardware. I am still rocking a "Battle Damaged" launch-era DS fat. Yeah, one of the hinges is broken, the DS itself is scratched to hell (not the screens thankfully), but it runs both DS and GBA games, which is all that I really want out of it. If it broke (which it very well could), I would get a DS lite, because it can still play GBA games, as opposed to mostly lame downloadable stuff and a camera I will never use.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @ArbitraryWater: I remember having the DS Phat (I had even put stupid stickers on it) and thinking I didn't need the DS Lite because my old one was doing just fine.  I thought differently when I got the Lite because of the slick design of it and the brighter and larger screens.  You'd enjoy a Lite much more, I assure you.
    takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By takua108

I still need to get a new DS. I had a blue original model, but the R button broke, which is odd, because the R button broke on my Game Boy Advance SP also. 

But yeah, whereas I'm considering buying a PS3 largely to play Heavy Rain (and to have a Blu-Ray player), I'm going to buy some sort of new DS/DSi when Golden Sun DS is released. 

And now I get to be torn in three directions as to which device to choose! Do I go with the pocket-sized DSi, the able-to-play-Game Boy-games DS Lite, and this. Great.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#10  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @FluxWaveZ: Maybe. But considering how often I play my DS (not very), it would be a $130 that I really don't need to spend at the moment, especially with the Dragon Age expansion and then Super Street Fighter IV coming out soon. As I said before though, if it breaks I will be more than willing to put down cash for a lite.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.