Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Has DS Piracy Reached Epidemic Levels?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mike

I was browsing Craigslist looking for some used DS games, and I noticed something...most of the postings for DS stuff are for selling various different "flash carts" which are presumably used primarily to play illegally downloaded DS ROMs. There are even people selling flash carts in a bundle with SD cards loaded with dozens, if not hundreds, of pirated games, all ready for play in any DS.

I had no idea the pirate community was this active for the DS. I know Nintendo has recently taken steps to prevent the sale of certain flash carts on eBay and Amazon, but this seems like putting a drop of water on a bonfire.

It seems like the pirates have won this battle handily. It seems like Nintendo does care, but is there really anything they can do to combat this problem? Do you use a flash cart with your DS to play pirated games? If you do...do you ever even buy any DS games, or do you just download them all?

*Please keep this discussion free of naming or linking to techniques on how to pirate games or how to use these "flash carts."

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Fallen189

I use a flashcard, and I don't feel bad about it. It let's me play all the old 8/16 bit titles on the fly, and try out DS games. I really can't justify paying 30£ for...Space Invaders Extreme, when it's just a redrawn version. But I will buy things like Phoenix Wright, because they're excellent.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lord_canti

the fact of the matter is that no matter what system they release it will be pirated but  in the example of the ds its probaly a drop in the sea  the ammount of people who have a R4 and the like is nothing compared to the people who own and actively buy games for the ds. personaly i do have a R4 but i mainly use it as glorifyed demos playing it for a while then buying it and then deleteing

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By mracoon

Seeing as the top selling games every month are DS games I think the majority of people aren't actually pirating it. I know one person who uses an R4 cart for pirate games but every else I know who owns a DS (which is quite a lot of people these days) buys their games legitimately.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks
    I had no idea the pirate community was this active for the DS

Well given the user-base and how easy it is to acquire pirated games, it does makes perfect sense that this problem is rife. It has reached epidemic levels, and it's been like this for a while now in my eyes.  Nintendo have been forced into this notably more aggressive stance in recent times, there's just too much revenue to be lost for both them and their licensed developers.

Great software is paying the price big time, GTA sold very little due largely to this problem, not the hardcore games on DS issue, which was pointed out by Jeff in a article which related to the lack of sales. Some people had the fricking game even before it was released officially!, review carts were ripped and put out almost instantly. 

F knows what the solution is, but you can be sure Nintendo are looking at all the options for limiting the problem, now and in the future, They certainly wont be able to eliminate it, not with the current handheld. Nintendo's next handheld may well have to follow in Sony's footsteps (PSP Go), with download games only, and possibly strong anti-piracy features.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By oldschool

I don't have one and I have never purchased or downloaded an illegal game.  I just don't care to.  I have been given stuff - not a lot, and I don't really have an issue with that as no money was exchanged, so no-one made a profit from it, plus, they were games I did not intend to buy anyway (and consequently, they barely were played).

On the DS though, I am seriously close to getting a card.  My only intention is to use them to make a copy of a game I already own, but it has a single save file.  That aspect of Nintendo product has always been a sore point with me.  Frankly, it really pisses me off.  That way, we can all play games like The World Ends With You, or those with 2 save files that I don't get to play, like Harvest Moon, will be available for me to play.

It isn't illegal to make a back-up copy, so I don't see how anybody loses from it and I am not breaking the law.
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By subject2change

I use a flash cart for trying games out or for titles that I will pick up and play for 10 min and put back down; Space Invaders Extreme is a title like that, Metal Slug as well. Any sort of RPG or game that I will invest serious time in I will go out and purchase it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#8  Edited By mike
    @oldschool: Great points.

It just hit me that using a flash cart is a great way to manage one's game collection and even save files. Being able to keep 20 or 30 of your DS games on a single SDHC while storing the original carts safely in their original boxes is quite tempting.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gizmo

I really wish I had known about all this DS flash carts before I sold my DS. I would have totally done it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There were a lot of pirates for GBA games too. Probably even more?

But the point about having all your DS games on a single cart with multiple save file is pretty cool. I agree it is tempting, and I've looked into it. Plus I assume you could play NES/SNES games too if you wanted.

Also, it's not like you can rent DS games really like you can for 360 or whatnot.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Godwind

I've pirated games and despite this I still buy games.  However, if the game is based on a franchise, I will be more prone to pick up those games within the franchise.  A perfect example of this is post Castlevania: Symphony of the NIght designed games(known as Metroidvania design) and Advance Wars.  When I heard about Castlevania being different from its predecessors, I was turned off from the series for awhile.  After pirating (via emulator) Harmony of Dissaonce, I got back into the series and started buying games from the series.   Before I got into the Advance Wars series, I pirated the game before I could become a fan of the series.  Now I buy Advanced Wars games because I know it is a quality series.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    MB said:
    @oldschool: Great points. It just hit me that using a flash cart is a great way to manage one's game ... [more]
    I am just going off on a 3 day business trip (see you when I get back) and I have to admit, being able to put a stack of my existing games, as you pointed out, on a single card to take with me is a good idea.

For the record, I am taking 4 games with me:
    Final Fantasy XII: Revnant Wings
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
    Disgaea
    Tales of Hearts

along with my portable DVD player and 16 episodes of West Wing - I am set for a quiet evening in the hotel  :-)
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By End_Boss

A lot of people here seem to be saying that they pirate DS games because they want to try but not buy (someone explicitly stated there there's "no way to rent DS games") or because they want a way to back up their files. So are DS flashcarts flourishing because of a penchant for piracy, or because DS owners want to use it as a way to download games they're thinking of buying as a way of confirming the purchase? Maybe instead of locking out the possibility of such innovations, Nintendo should go the other way and patent them. It seems like a lot of the folks here would be fine with going the official route to sampling games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, Nintendo should just have everything for download. I'm all for physical media, I love it. But when it comes to portable consoles like the PSP or DS, I hate switching out games all the time. When it comes to portables, all games should just be download only. Bold move, but I'd be for it.

As long as they have discounts on games here and there (like XBLM I guess) it'd be cool. Or maybe they could have some kind of system where if you buy X amount of games you can get a free game. Just as a way for people to save money still, since then used games wouldn't be an option. But for real, who wants to switch out games on a portable console? Even if the games are a size of a tic tac, that's still extra tic tacs i need to bring with me to wherever.

I'm really close to getting one of these.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

The only reason I use a flash card is to listen to music and watch videos. I also download all the games that I have purchased and put them on there that way I can have all the games on me at once in an accessible way.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pazy

I use a flash card for my DS. Mostly its full of games I own (1 cart versus 20), a couple of "trials" which I cant justify paying for (like Broken Sword, since I own it on PC and have bought it 3/4 times for scratched disks), and lots of homebrew games and applications like Emulators (why carry my gameboy when I can carry a flash card?) and programs to run music files and such (was listening to the bombcast earlier on it).

Flash cards are awesome :)

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Fallen189
    TripMasterMunky said:
    Man, Nintendo should just have everything for download. I'm all for physical media, I love it. But when it comes ... [more]
    Would you wanna pay full price for a recoloured tetris? Do it, it's worth it.
    JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18  Edited By JonathanMoore

I buy all my games, but I don't believe we should have to. Some games truthfully just aren't good enough to purchase so in that context... really some games DESERVE to be downloaded. I buy all my games but this is also why my knowledge of the Nintendo DS Library is limited, because I haven't got a lot of money and have to be picky with my selection. So really both sides have a point.

-- God Bless.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#19  Edited By AgentJ

Im sure a lot of people download games that are available at retail, but there are also a lot of people that use those carts the right way, like for homebrew games and applications, and for those sorts of things i think R4s should exist. The DS wont have a pandemic until it gets to the same level as what is plaguing PSPs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallen189 said:
    TripMasterMunky said: Man, Nintendo should just have everything for download. I'm all for physical media, I love it. But when ... [more]
    Done.

I agree homebrew and application stuff is pretty cool for the DS. Hopefully Nintendo will allow more of this officially in the future. But I doubt it. And while piracy is definitely a problem on the DS, it is no where near the PSP lol. I know some people who soley bought a PSP just so they can hack it right away. One guy ended up bricking his PSP though lol.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By oldschool
    JonathanMoore said:
    I buy all my games, but I don't believe we should have to. Some games truthfully just aren't good enough ... [more]
    If Nintendo actively used a significantly cheaper range of product that has been out for a while, then people wouldn't be so tempted.  Rather than just discontinue a game, it should be like the PSP Platinum range - about 1/3rd the price of a new game.  I would get quite a few extra games if they did this.

At the moment, only the crap 'end with a Z ' games seem to be promoted heavily at retail for a cheap price.  The better games should get the same treatment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.