Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Is the DSI really worth getting???

Nock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Nock

I'm kinda thinking about picking one up but idk is it worth it? Iphone games are getting kinda old... thoughts???

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Do you have a DS Lite?

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
    @Nock said:
    " I'm kinda thinking about picking one up but idk is it worth it? Iphone games are getting kinda old... thoughts??? "
    If you don't have a DS Lite, or you still have a Fat DS, or if you don't have a DS at all I'd recommend the DSi.
    Nock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Nock

Ya I have a DS lite, but it's like one of the first while ones. My screens are all beat up and my hinge is cracked

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By AgentJ
    @Nock said:
    " Ya I have a DS lite, but it's like one of the first while ones. My screens are all beat up and my hinge is cracked  "
    You need to treat your things better
    Until the DSIware lineup picks up, you're probably better off keeping your abused Lite
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wolverine
    @Nock said:
    " I'm kinda thinking about picking one up but idk is it worth it? Iphone games are getting kinda old... thoughts??? "
    I don't think it is because the DS Lite is better because it has a GBA slot. Why would you want to listen to music or take a picture with your DS?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By oldschool
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Nock said:
    " Ya I have a DS lite, but it's like one of the first while ones. My screens are all beat up and my hinge is cracked  "
    You need to treat your things better
    Until the DSIware lineup picks up, you're probably better off keeping your abused Lite"
    Agreed - on both points  :-)  

Just see how long you can keep your Lite going.  Christmas might be a good time to buy.
    krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By krystians

I have all the DS's and yes you should buy this one too! Hope you enjoy it!

Haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Haziqonfire

If you've never owned a DS before I'd say get it.

If you have a DS Lite there is no point in buying a DSi - because its just a small upgrade/downgrade the way you look at it (If you care about the GBA slot or not).

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Afroman269

I don't have a DS yet but will eventually get one. I'm leaning more towards a DS lite because of the price but is there really any valid reasons for drop 170 for the DSi?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
    @Afroman269 said:
    " I don't have a DS yet but will eventually get one. I'm leaning more towards a DS lite because of the price but is there really any valid reasons for drop 170 for the DSi? "
    In the longer term, yes if you think you MAY be interested in DSiWare.  Without the DSi, you don't have a choice.  You have to trade that off against the lack of GBA port, which is only a problem if you seriously play those games still.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Afroman269
    @oldschool said:

" @Afroman269 said:

" I don't have a DS yet but will eventually get one. I'm leaning more towards a DS lite because of the price but is there really any valid reasons for drop 170 for the DSi? "
    In the longer term, yes if you think you MAY be interested in DSiWare.  Without the DSi, you don't have a choice.  You have to trade that off against the lack of GBA port, which is only a problem if you seriously play those games still. "
    Alright just bought the DSi. If I want to play GBA games then I'll use my old GBA. Also is there any suggestions for a DSi ware game I should get seeing on how I have the free 1000 points they give you?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
    @Afroman269 said:
    " @oldschool said:

" @Afroman269 said:

In the longer term, yes if you think you MAY be interested in DSiWare.  Without the DSi, you don't have a choice.  You have to trade that off against the lack of GBA port, which is only a problem if you seriously play those games still. "
    Alright just bought the DSi. If I want to play GBA games then I'll use my old GBA. Also is there any suggestions for a DSi ware game I should get seeing on how I have the free 1000 points they give you? "
    Welcome to the club  :-) 

Actually, I am yet to join the club, but will by the end of this month (my birthday present).  Then I too will have to decide what to use 1000 points for.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Willy105

If you already have a DS, then no. 

If you don't, what the heck are you doing without the best game system this gen?

Avatar image for xcompanionxcubex
    xCompanionxCubex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xCompanionxCubex

I have the original chunky DS, the unbreakable brick, i never had interest to get a smaller one and to me DSi is just the lite with an extra camera, i'd recomend sticking to the original DS or a DS lite, i don't think it's worth the extra 40-60 or whatever the extra price is

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#16  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

In my opinion unless you really want to, you probably shouldn't buy a DSi. Most of the add-ons like the camera, the image editing software and the SD card compatibility are all things you can find elsewhere and with better quality. The real major addition to the DSi for gamers seem to be DSiware, but as has been much the joke on the site, the lineup of "games" hasn't exactly been dazzling.

xCompanionxCubex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xCompanionxCubex

I think the DS Lite would be better or the original, the DSi is pretty much just another camera and i don't think it would be worth paying all the extra money for when the DS Lite is pretty much the same

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Linkyshinks

@xCompanionxCubex said:

" I think the DS Lite would be better or the original, the DSi is pretty much just another camera and i don't think it would be worth paying all the extra money for when the DS Lite is pretty much the same "

Just another camera, how about DSiWare. a more powerful CPU and better RAM, two camera's, not one as you state, better speakers with all round better casing design with an improved set of buttons and new D Pad. On-board memory and a SD card.

Get a DSi, you would be mad not to with free software as good as Flipnote.   You also get free 1000 Nintendo points to buy a couple of games.

http://flipnote.hatena.com/

xCompanionxCubex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xCompanionxCubex
    @Linkyshinks: 

People are open to their own opinion between the two, i'm just saying i don't feel it's necessary to pay out more for a console with a camera that, to some people who get it, will hardly be used

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Gamer_152 said:
    "

In my opinion unless you really want to, you probably shouldn't buy a DSi. Most of the add-ons like the camera, the image editing software and the SD card compatibility are all things you can find elsewhere and with better quality. The real major addition to the DSi for gamers seem to be DSiware, but as has been much the joke on the site, the lineup of "games" hasn't exactly been dazzling.

"

I wont even bother with your first nonsensical comment...

Moving onto the second. Is a IGF winner dazzling enough?, or perhaps Mighty Flip Champs?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @xCompanionxCubex said:
    " @Linkyshinks: 

People are open to their own opinion between the two, i'm just saying i don't feel it's necessary to pay out more for a console with a camera that, to some people who get it, will hardly be used

"
    Did you not read my post above:?, as I say it's far more than just the addition of camera.
    xCompanionxCubex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xCompanionxCubex
    @Linkyshinks: 
    All i'm saying is i don't think the DSi is worth paying extra for, if you do then ok    
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#23  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @Linkyshinks: Ok, these are examples of DSiware actually being used like it should be, but we both know that these are really the high end of what DSiware has to offer and that this is only a fraction of the DSiware content out there. As good as your couple of examples of downloadable games were, I wouldn't advise a person to buy a DSi for these games for the same reason that I wouldn't advise someone to buy an Xbox 360 for Castle Crashers and Geometry Wars.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By oldschool
    @xCompanionxCubex said:
    " @Linkyshinks: All i'm saying is i don't think the DSi is worth paying extra for, if you do then ok     "
    You would be in a minority.  All the things the DSi offers are only available to the DSI and they will only go from pretty good to excellent over time.  Why would you buy a lower spec model unless you really want to play GBA games and you don't have a GBA anymore?
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I've got $100 in company award money slotted to Amazon, if I wait a few more weeks, I'll probably get another $25 in which case my DS Lite would nearly be paid for in full (wait a month & it'll be free).

One reason I think I'd rather have the DS Lite is that I already own a Casio Exo Slim Digital Camera & a 120G iPod Classic. Never played GBA games before but it's nice to have access to a back catalog if I want it.   If I didn't have so much stuff already I'd probably take the DSi more seriously.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By ThomasP

If you are going to invest, I highly recommend the DSi. If you don't buy it you're bound to miss out on some great, cheap games from DSiWare. I'm also holding out for the Game Boy catalog. The only reason you shouldn't get a DSi is if you want to play Game Boy Advance games, as the DS Lite is compatible with them. I have one and I'm still going to purchase the DSi.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.