Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Miyamoto's patented DS RPG design.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool
    Touch! Monsters 
    (Siliconera)

There is a plethora of RPGs on the Nintendo DS. Few of them use the touch screen in a novel way. Way before the Nintendo DS was finalized luminary game designer Shigeru Miyamoto was tinkering with one.
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

A patent filed with Miyamoto credited as one of the inventors reveals the project. In this conceptual RPG players are randomly attacked by monsters. Old stuff, but the combat system is new.

No Caption Provided
    In battles players poke monsters with a finger or stylus to attack them. Touch the monster and you hurt it. Miss and it, well, you miss. Monsters move in patterns so battles require more eye-hand coordination than selecting fight. The neat thing about this system is you deal more damage if you hit the monster in a weak spot, like its face in this example, than its torso. Hit the shield and you deal less damage. The proposed system draws ideas from first person shooter or light gun games and adapts them for a turn based RPG.
    No Caption Provided

These flow charts explain the nitty gritty.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Not all patents are used. Not even all of Shigeru Miyamoto’s ideas are used. Should Nintendo use this?

Looks very interesting.   As a man who loves a flow chart just a little too much, I'm digging these ones :P

Thoughts?
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By danielkempster

Sounds very interesting. I can't comment on how it looks because the pictures aren't showing up for me. I'm all for anything that brings innovation to turn-based RPG combat (read genuine innovation as opposed to prettier attack animations). The only problem I see with this is that off the top of my head, Nintendo doesn't really have any recognisable first-party RPG franchises that could benefit from this. Maybe Pokémon, but I can't see this system fitting those games too well.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool

Images fixed I think.

dankempster said:
    "Sounds very interesting. I can't comment on how it looks because the pictures aren't showing up for me. I'm all for anything that brings innovation to turn-based RPG combat (read genuine innovation as opposed to prettier attack animations). The only problem I see with this is that off the top of my head, Nintendo doesn't really have any recognisable first-party RPG franchises that could benefit from this. Maybe Pokémon, but I can't see this system fitting those games too well."
    Pokemon?  Not in a main game, maybe a new one perhaps.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Scooper

It's certainly interesting... but an RPG... I dunno. It seems wierd. Could be more frustrating then fun with tougher, more faster and erractic moving monsters.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

It would be sweet if it was like The Dark Spire but with a real-time-ish combat system as described + manual blocking. I'd play that, it would be like an awesome sequel to an awesome Dreamcast VMU (yeah, VIsual Memory Unit) game I had which was pretty much what my first sentence describes, only a tad too simplistic, and of course without the touch aspect this would add, you only had an attack and a block button. And so awesome I played it more than the RPG game it was downloaded from, until my VMU battery died :(

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By TheJollyRajah

It seems like something that could be used for the next Mario & Luigi game.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Meowayne

Am I the only one who finds the concept of "I have a patent on a video game idea so that either I will make it some day, or no one, ever." slightly problematic?

Now, no DS RPG ever will be able to feature touch/reflex based first-person monster fighting, unless Mr. M decides to have that game build. Which for all we know might not happen.

Who knows how many great game concepts end up never being made because someone has a patent on something similar?

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By raven_squad

Yeah, looks quite interesting actually. Lets hope he's got a game using this sytem in the works. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    Meowayne said:
    "Am I the only one who finds the concept of "I have a patent on a video game idea so that either I will make it some day, or no one, ever." slightly problematic? Now, no DS RPG ever will be able to feature touch/reflex based first-person monster fighting, unless Mr. M decides to have that game build. Which for all we know might not happen. Who knows how many great game concepts end up never being made because someone has a patent on something similar?"
    I agree Meo.  There should be limitations put on patents.  Something perhaps like - if you don't use it, someone else can.  Only thing I would add is that the patent owner still gets some royalties, but they can't stop it being used.  In a free enterprise economy, it seems a little odd that someone can essentially, loch up a good idea, just to stop someone else using it.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By AgentJ

This format looks much better OldSchool. Stick with it!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

I thought Miyamoto did already patent an RPG.

Isn't it called Bob's Game?
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks
    AgentJ said:
    "This format looks much better OldSchool. Stick with it!"

Yeah, it's much softer on the eye, for the below 50s  : P
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#13  Edited By LordAndrew
    jakob187 said:
    "I thought Miyamoto did already patent an RPG.

Isn't it called Bob's Game?"
    Robert Pelloni is actually Miyamoto?
    Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Axersia
    Al3xand3r said:
    "It would be sweet if it was like The Dark Spire but with a real-time-ish combat system as described + manual blocking. I'd play that, it would be like an awesome sequel to an awesome Dreamcast VMU (yeah, VIsual Memory Unit) game I had which was pretty much what my first sentence describes, only a tad too simplistic, and of course without the touch aspect this would add, you only had an attack and a block button. And so awesome I played it more than the RPG game it was downloaded from, until my VMU battery died :("
    Oh, you mean like Deep Labyrinth?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.