Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Nintendo seek quality not quantity on DSiware.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

This is a story as reported by the BBC.

Apple might have thousands of games in the iPhone's App Store, but that sort of abundance is not appealing to Nintendo.

As the Japanese gamemaker prepares to launch its latest portable player, the Nintendo DSi, in America, the company says it won't be filling up the DSi's download store with "thousands upon thousands" of games. Instead, DSiWare games and applications will focus on quality over quantity, says Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime.

"We are taking a film-festival approach — high-class content done by knowledgeable developers in creating fantastic experiences for the consumer — instead of the YouTube approach of everything under the sun that is difficult for the consumer to navigate through," said Fils-Aime in a phone interview with Wired.com.

When DSi launches Sundayfive games will be available in the store in four price tiers: free, $2, $5 and $8. Every downloadable game that launches with the system will be published by Nintendo, although Fils-Aime said several games and apps from third parties will be available within six weeks of launch. On Wii, downloadable games from external developers have outsold Nintendo's own software by a factor of nine to one, Fils-Aime said.

The $170 DSi also features a camera and a web browser, and can use an SD card to store photos, games and music. It plays the same lineup of cartridge-based games as the current model, the $130 Nintendo DS Lite.

Fils-Aime said that once Nintendo has granted a third-party developer a license to create DSiWare, it will not put any restraints on the company's creativity — although Nintendo  strongly suggests to developers that they create "innovative, involving" experiences that are "unique to the platform."

"What we don't want to see is a game that is available on a number of other platforms, either mobile or home, nor do we want to see games that don't take advantage of the unique capabilities of the DS," said Fils-Aime.

In Japan, where DSi launched last November, the DSiWare store has more than 50 games and applications thus far. This stands in sharp contrast to the iPhone's App Store, which gets an average of more than 150 new applications per day.

So, Nintendo do care about gamers.  It will be interesting in the longer term to see if developers actually put some effort into the games or they just dump shovelware.  If they do dump shovelware, will Nintendo step in and stop it?  Or will they see the dollars (Yen) and go for that instead?  Just how "strongly" can they "encourage" developers to try harder?

How confidant are you that truly interesting games will get through?  

Apple show just how important the reviews are.  No-one can possibly review 150 applications per day, so you are swimming in a cesspool of the unknown when choosing what to buy.  Whilst I take little notice of reviews, I still never buy a game without some knowledge and that comes from the reviewers.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Their WiiWare selections say otherwise. I have high hopes for DSiWare, but I have my expectations low.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Mushir

Im gonna have to see what quality means for the guys at Nintendo, because most of the games currently available for WiiWare are pretty poor.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Still doesn't have the thousands of apps the ipod does though. Compared to that, it's gem heaven. Anyway, lots of good games on it, and it's not hard to browse to them >_>

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool

Considering the quality of many DS titles, surely  there are plenty of experienced developers who can make cheap and interesting games?  Sure, Ubisoft are bound to make a game that ends with a Z.  Despite that, what about episodic games based on cartoons/anime?  For example, a particular story line from a single episode of Naruto or Bleach (or whatever anime you like)?  Would that work?

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Systech

If they're ever able to get Mother 3 on the store, I'm so buying the DSi.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By ThomasP

I want some good DSiWare games, plus some old GB / GBC titles.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Red

Man, I can't wait until I hear DSi news that doesn't leave me saying "meh".

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks

There's some interesting games that were released in Japan on Wednesday.

I like the Animal Crossing Clock app, where you can make your own Alarm Jingle :D The Super Mario Bros one is pretty sweet too.

The games for the most part look like puzzlers, but some do look cool.

DSi Ware April 1st Japanese Update

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool

I am not a puzzle game kind of person.  Most games on things like Wiiware seem to be puzzle.  Give me some fun RTS, TBS, Simulation  and RPG and I get interested.  Maybe a little good platforming as well.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

Puzzle's cheaper to make, you just need a decent idea and minimalistic graphics. There are several more in-depth games on WiiWare you should try though. And there's a kinda RTS coming, more Tower Defense if you ask me but that's what they call it, Swords & Soldiers.

I dunno if I want Nintendo to regulate what's going on WiiWare or DSiWare all that much to be honest. I wanna decide what I want with my money, not with what Nintendo allows on there. Many of my favorite games are underrated by the average review, who's to say Nintendo won't make mistakes when judging games for release on these platforms?

Just read more about the games you think about purchasing, as usual.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

The same cannot be said of the Wii.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#14  Edited By AgentJ
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "The same cannot be said of the Wii."
    Baker, what benefit do you get from constantly saying something negative about the Wii? You always say something and i dont think it's ever been positive. Dont you feel like you are wasting your time?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
    AgentJ said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "The same cannot be said of the Wii."
    Baker, what benefit do you get from constantly saying something negative about the Wii? You always say something and i dont think it's ever been positive. Dont you feel like you are wasting your time?
    "
    Willy likes the attention :-)  Nobody listens to him otherwise.
    FriggingWeirdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By FriggingWeirdo

The DSiWare stuff seems OK, but I'm more excited for the GB/GBA Virtual Console stuff, whatever it's called. Virtual Game Boy, perhaps?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By toowalrus

Looking into the future... I hope the next Nintendo hand held has enough power to have n64 games on the virtual console. The DS is ALMOST there... but not quite. Terrible controls, anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.