Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Nintendo steps up campaign against R4 cards and DS piracy.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Nintendo hires Warner’s anti-piracy guru 
       Nintendo hires Warner’s anti-piracy guru

Neil Boyd heads new attack on sale of R4 cards

Nintendo HAS hired Warner Bros’ anti-piracy boss
    to crush UK retailers that continue to sell DS 
    piracy equipment.

Neil Boyd, who leaves his role as Warner’s director of anti-piracy in Europe, this week warned stores that if they continue to stock R4 cartridges they face permanently damaging their relationship with Nintendo –
    as the platform holder steps up its fight against
    ‘piracy enablers’ in the region.

Digital expert Boyd also called on ISPs to put more pressure on consumers they know are illegally downloading games.

MCV can reveal that Boyd joins Nintendo UK in the role of European anti-piracy counsel, as the firm bolsters the department with a string of signings. These include former Universal exec Jonathan Tully, who is hired as a legal advisor and Mattius Damm, who takes the same role in Germany.

Boyd will work under Jodi Daugherty – Nintendo’s senior global director for anti-piracy.

“The four key areas in our fight are legal enforcement, consumer awareness, technology and lobbying,” said Boyd. “Without all those coming together, we won’t solve piracy.”

He warned online and High Street stores who are still selling the R4 device that Nintendo had “more eyes and ears” than ever on the street – and would be swift to issue cease and desist notices.

Daugherty added: “[Stocking these games] damages your sales, and it’s going to damage your relationship with us.

“We have no problem pursuing customers that continue to take steps to hurt the company.”

Boyd – who also previously worked as a digital piracy advisor in the music business – added that he wants ISPs to take more action against consumers of BitTorrent sites.

“The ISPs are in an ideal position to deal with any infringements,” he said. “They already intervene in preventing paedophile sites and exchanges of Spyware and Trojans, so we know the technical means are there.

“Their willingness to discuss it is a problem. They can do a lot more – and everyone knows they can do a lot more.”

Nintendo has taken legal action against 79 R4 cartridge manufacturers in China this year.

Nintendo sure are serious about hunting down pirates and they are getting quite aggressive about it. 

Tning is, the R4 cards do have legal uses and quite fun and useful ones at that.  They should just go after the sites with the ROMs and leave it at that.  Plus, as I have said many times over, they should give gamers a reason to buy the retail copy and that means making it something worthwhilethat you can't get by illegal downloading (premium packs at a reasonable price for a start).  Going too far, will only alienate a very large fan base that do buy quite a lot of their product.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Scooper

That's a shame. I was thinking of grabbing a DSLite and an R4 to play those crazy homebrew games. They look more fun then some of the retail stuff.

Avatar image for relentlessknight
    RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#3  Edited By RelentlessKnight

I totally agree. If someone download a "pirated" game, that company who makes the game loses money. I understand why places in Europe pirate games, games tend to be released in Europe later than North America and sometimes people can afford a DS(lite/i) but can't afford to purchase games.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By EdIsCool

Quake on the DS is fun. Some crazy homebrew guys managed to get it to work and it is awesome.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    @Scooper said:
    " That's a shame. I was thinking of grabbing a DSLite and an R4 to play those crazy homebrew games. They look more fun then some of the retail stuff. "
    I want mine for recreating a game I have for multiple save files (like Harvest Moon) - 3 of us play the games. 
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldschool
    @EdIsCool said:
    " Quake on the DS is fun. Some crazy homebrew guys managed to get it to work and it is awesome. "
    While I am sure there is a copyright infringement there, no-one really loses anything from that.  I really admire the homebrew guys - they are awesome.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

This is honestly the first time ive heard of DS piracy, didn't know it was an issue.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Scooper

I hear you can get a pretty well working version of the SNES Super Street Fighter 2 on the DS which I'd love to have. I still play that game on my SNES but being able to play that on the bus would be epic.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    @Mikemcn said:
    " This is honestly the first time ive heard of DS piracy, didn't know it was an issue. "
    You're being sarcastic aren't you  ^_^
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By AgentJ

UH oh, I better pick one up while I can. I'm COMING FATE!

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Honestly, if Nintendo wants to stop the sale of flash carts, going after stores is pointless. Those things are mostly sold at market stalls, I know thats where I got mine from, and those stalls are so small and plentiful that they're not worth taking action against.

I hadn't heard of homebrew Quake, but I've got an awesome homebrew Doom port :D I'll have to go look up that Quake one.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Diamond

It is pretty assy to go after perfectly legal devices like this.  Nintendo should stop piracy in their own hardware, not stomp over civil rights.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
    @Diamond said:
    " It is pretty assy to go after perfectly legal devices like this.  Nintendo should stop piracy in their own hardware, not stomp over civil rights. "
    Exactly. 

I am not all that sure that in Australia, if Nintendo tried corporate pressure, it wouldn't come under investigation by the ACCC (competition commission).  If the R4 card is legal (and I have no reason to believe it isn't), then there is nothing Nintendo can do at the end of the chain.  As you said, they are working at the wrong end.  Also, as you said, do more to make them not work and second, go after the hosts and ISPs where they are.  And I repeat, make retail copy ownership more attractive, plus proper demos of all games would help the consumer - no-one likes wasting money.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.