Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Some input please.

laticsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By laticsfan

So I was in a lecture today and I saw a guy playing on his DS. I've never even considered getting a DS until now. As I was watching him, it started to dawn on me that a DS would be the solution to all my gaming problems. Because I'm at Uni I've had to leave my xbox at home and so all my gaming has come in the form of my laptop which limits me quite a bit. Especially since i've been craving some JRPG action.

Now my questions are, would it be worth me getting a DS? I'm a student afterall so don't have much money but they do seem reasonably priced. And if so would it be okay just getting a lite? Or would you say that the DSi is worth the extra money? Also is there a reason why white lite's are cheaper than  the rest of the colours or is it just because it's white? What are the best games on the market, are there any decent more "adult" orientated games or is it all cutsey kids games? Does the DS have a large selection of JRPG's? Finnally what benefits does it have over a PSP? And which would you recommend more? 

P.S. What, if any bundles would you recommend? (I'm in the UK btw)

ezekielzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By ezekielzero

DS is JRPG king this generation also just stick with the light the DSi is definitly not worth the extra money. Adult wise there arent many specifically geared towards adults resident evil and GTA chinatown wars are all that come to mind

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

A Lite will do. Unless you have some extra cash the DSi would be a nice gimmick but personally the Lite works just as good.
    I think white's cheaper since it's the most common one around so it's mass produced on a larger scale, hence cheaper.
    There's a lot of great games for the DS. Can't list them all since that would be too long (or more specifically, I don't have the time, sorry).
    When you say "adult" orientated games I presume you mean complex games with depth. Yeah, quite a good few.
    It has decent number of JRPGs. I've played a good few anyway.
    Lite is cheaper, smaller and has a more efficient battery than the PSP. Doesn't have a few gimmicks like the PSP but chances are you won't use them much.
     Anything else?

laticsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By laticsfan

Thanks guys, think I will definalty pick up a lite, and yeah that is pretty much what I meant by adult.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By AgentJ

As a self-proclaimed DS junkie, I can tell you with a lot of certainty that the DS will be perfect for you.  

I recommend getting a DS lite or DSi. I'll be getting a DSi pretty soon because there is a game coming on the downloadable service that I absolutely must have. If you decide to stick with the lites, it will set you back 130 new, I think about 100 used.  
    white lites don't have a different MSRP, but they may sell cheaper some places because fewer people want them.  
    You might not find a lot of M-rated games on the console, but the lineup is far from "cutsey". Here is the definitive DS game list.  Every game on that list has been backed up by numerous DS Giantbomb users. 
    The DS has approximately a metric fuckton of JRPGs, which I'll get to in another post.  
    The DS has a better library of games than the PSP (coming from someone who owns both) and the DSi can essentially do everything the PSP could, save for the higher quality graphics.  

Okay, JRPGs: 
    Chrono Trigger 
    The World Ends With You 
    Final Fantasy III and IV (also I, II, V, and VI if you get a DS lite, since it can play GBA games) 
    Avalon Code 
    Dragon Quest IV, V, and VI (VI coming soon) 
    Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heartgold, and Soul Silver (Heart Gold and Soul Silver coming soon) 
    SMT Devil Survivor 
    Suikoden Teirkreis  

Coming soon: 
    Nostalgia 
    Golden Sun DS (YES YES YES) 
    Sands of Destruction 
    Infinite Space 
    Phantasy Star Zero 
    Glory of Heracles 
    Dragon Quest IX 
    Blood of Bahamut 
    The Another World 
    Final Fantasy Gaiden

laticsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By laticsfan

Wow, thanks alot man thats some good info. You have actually just got me excited about getting one and want it now.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By oldschool

I think the DSi is worth it, but completely unnecessary unless you are flushed with cash.  Use the extra money to buy a handful of games, as you find plenty in the back catalogue that are quite cheap.  Plus, if you are in a position to so it, importing from places like playasia.com is always worth a look. 

I f you like strategy games, you MUST get the Advance Wars games.  They will eat you up - in a good way  ^_^

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.