Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

To buy or not to buy.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mrfizzy

Hey all, so EB Games Australia is selling used DS Lites for $120. Thinking of picking one up. I have had a look at the lite compared to the DSi and the only difference that makes me question if it would be worth it is the fact that the lite cant play DSi exclusive games. I only want the thing for the games so a lack of a camera and all that doesnt bother me. My question is, am i going to miss out on a ton of great games if i go with the lite?  
    Thanks in advance for any answers. 

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Nekroskop

Why buy something you can emulate
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Emilio

Well there is currently only one DSi exclusive game in production ( I believe ). I would just wait. You really have to ask yourself if you need this machine. 
    I mean, really ask yourself "Is this something that I need at the moment" "can I go on living my daily life without it?". 

There are reports of a new handheld coming this year, and it might have the ability to play DS games. So, I say just wait.  

Unless you MUST have a DS Lite.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ
    @mrfizzy said:
    " Hey all, so EB Games Australia is selling used DS Lites for $120. Thinking of picking one up. I have had a look at the lite compared to the DSi and the only difference that makes me question if it would be worth it is the fact that the lite cant play DSi exclusive games. I only want the thing for the games so a lack of a camera and all that doesnt bother me. My question is, am i going to miss out on a ton of great games if i go with the lite?  Thanks in advance for any answers.  "
    There aren't a whole lot of worthwhile games on DSiware yet. There are a few available now like Mighty Flip Champs, the original Rayman, and Dragon Quest Wars, and a really good one on the way in Shantae, but other than that the service is mostly packed with shovelware. I will be getting a DSi essentially just for Shantae at some point in the next few months, but for most people it probably isn't worth it. Get the Ds lite while you can at that price and use the savings to buy some great games
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AgentJ
    @Emilio said:
    " Well there is currently only one DSi exclusive game in production ( I believe ). I would just wait. You really have to ask yourself if you need this machine. I mean, really ask yourself "Is this something that I need at the moment" "can I go on living my daily life without it?".  There are reports of a new handheld coming this year, and it might have the ability to play DS games. So, I say just wait.   Unless you MUST have a DS Lite. "
    There are at least three in production that I know of. Shantae 2, 3, and 4. 
    mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mrfizzy
    @ahaisthisourchance said:
    " Why buy something you can emulate "
    I didnt know you could. How easy is it? 
    kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By kennybaese

Well so far DSi specific games don't exist except for the DSiWare stuff, and given how many of them haven't come out yet, I'm doubting anything will except for maybe a couple of token releases from Nintendo themselves. I mean, they haven't even announced  anything as far as I know.  

I don't know, I mean, if you've got the cash, I'd pick one up. There are a ton of really good games for the system. 

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Rayfield

1. The DS Lite is awesome. 

2. Don't buy a used one. 

3. Don't buy one from EB Games.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AgentJ
    @walkingcarpet said:
    " Well so far DSi specific games don't exist except for the DSiWare stuff, and given how many of them haven't come out yet, I'm doubting anything will except for maybe a couple of token releases from Nintendo themselves. I mean, they haven't even announced  anything as far as I know.   I don't know, I mean, if you've got the cash, I'd pick one up. There are a ton of really good games for the system.  "
    Actually, I don't think Nintendo has anything DSi specific planned. I know there are some games coming out that can only be played on the console (summon night maybe?) but nothing from the red N.
    mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mrfizzy
    @Rayfield said:
    " 1. The DS Lite is awesome.  2. Don't buy a used one.  3. Don't buy one from EB Games. "
    But its so CHEAP! im a poor uni student, if im going to be buying things like this i need to get the cheapest ones available. 
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Rayfield
    @mrfizzy said:
    " @Rayfield said:
    " 1. The DS Lite is awesome.  2. Don't buy a used one.  3. Don't buy one from EB Games. "
    But its so CHEAP! im a poor uni student, if im going to be buying things like this i need to get the cheapest ones available.  "

I understand your situation but wait just a little longer and save a bit more money. I picked up that sweet red Mario DS Lite (with New Super Mario Bros) from Kmart for $199 last year. Just hold off and you'll thank yourself for it. That, and you won't be giving money to EB Games. They kill babies with the profits.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Emilio
    @mrfizzy said:
    " @Rayfield said:
    But its so CHEAP! im a poor uni student, if im going to be buying things like this i need to get the cheapest ones available.  "
    Find yourself a GameBoy Micro.
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By gla55jAw
    @Emilio said:
    " @mrfizzy said:
    " @Rayfield said:
    Find yourself a GameBoy Micro. "

YES I got mine a few weeks ago and I love it! Once I get my flash card in the mail I'll be set.  

Anyways, I would say DS Lite. You can play GBA games and it's cheaper than a DSi. DSi ware games are crap and a waste.
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By CharleyTony

The exclusive DSi stuff is nothing crazy right now, but there will probably be a game that you will want in the coming years. 

but the price difference is too much, stick to the DS lite !
    mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mrfizzy

Mmm, ok well i might be able to trade some things with a friend who has one anyway. at least that way ill be able to try it out. 

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By jeffgoldblum

@ahaisthisourchance said:

"Why buy something you can emulate "

With this attitude you might as well never buy any games.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By grilledcheez

There's like no DSi games anyway, just get the lite and enjoy all the great games...it's well worth the money.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By ThomasP
    @mrfizzy said:
    " @ahaisthisourchance said:
    I didnt know you could. How easy is it?  "
    Don't be a thief.
    mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mrfizzy
    @ThomasP said:
    " @mrfizzy said:
    " @ahaisthisourchance said:
    I didnt know you could. How easy is it?  "
    Don't be a thief. "
    Dnt worry, im not going to be. Might be able to get an old, unloved ds from a friend, and if not then i can get a new lite off ebay for $100. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.