Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Ubisoft Blames Piracy For It's Decline In DS Sales

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Yves Guillemot had this to say on the matter recently:

We are currently experiencing a very sharp slowdown in our sales for Nintendo DS as well as sales of back-catalog titles, in the context of a market that is tougher than anticipated. This will have a significant impact on our first-half showing.
    Piracy is strong so we are working to put new figurines and new elements in the boxes that will change that in the future, for example in Europe we have the same market share in DS this year as last year.

Alternatively, perhaps parents have just realized how weak and low quality driven their DS titles are. I don't blame parents at all for downloading their Z -Crap, I certainly wouldn't pay full price for it if I had kids. Titles meant for older gamers have been just as weak.

Thanks to Gamasutra

(please keep this DS centric thread in this forum)

William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By William

Piracy on a DS? Hmm...

Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#3  Edited By Ping5000

Include infanticide in your Imagine Babiez games and I'm sure you'll find a morbid audience, Ubisoft.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By delta_ass

Impossible, only PC gaming suffers from piracy.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#5  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

When I worked at a GameStop, I made it a point to tell the customer that Ubisoft DS games are only quick cash-ins. I'm hoping the poor sales are consumers catching on and not piracy.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Time_Lord

It far too much effort to pirate games. it’s just that Ubisoft games on the DS are bad.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#7  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @Time_Lord: Not too hard. It's not like hacking the Wii or the PSP, I'll tell you that much.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond

Probably just have the wrong crappy DS games on the market, plus some pullback in casual game sales, as you can see across the board.

DS has bad piracy problems, but it's not as if it's anything new.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

How about blaming their flooding of the market with shitty clones month after month?

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By Suicrat

What a load of horseshit. Nobody's even playing Ubisoft games on the DS right now, letalone downloading them illegally. The last good Ubisoft-published game is the one in Al3xand3r's avatar

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Suicrat said:
    " What a load of horseshit. Nobody's even playing Ubisoft games on the DS right now, letalone downloading them illegally. The last good Ubisoft-published game is the one in Al3xand3r's avatar "

They got those publishing rights in the US and Europe knowing full well it would help to improve their image. After providing weak casual efforts prior, and inflaming Wii owners with idiotic statements like saying they would - "create Nintendo quality games", which even to this day we have yet to see. Certainly not imo anyway...

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By Suicrat
    @Linkyshinks: Yeah. While No More Heroes is certainly a "Nintendo-quality game" (in fact, I'd say it's the best game on the Wii), Ubisoft didn't develop it, they only published it. And they did a shitty job of that. I never saw an ad for it once on TV, and no EB employees asked me if I wanted to preorder it when I called the store to inquire about games prior to its release.
    Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Time_Lord
    @Sleepy_Insomniac:
    Ethier way Ubisoft just need to make better DS games.
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By L33tfella_H

They should start looking at the games they're pumping out instead...Cause if they haven't noticed...80% of what i've played from Ubisoft in the last 4-5 years is pretty shit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.