Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Which game are you looking forward to more - Dragon Quest IX or Kingdom Heart 358/2 days?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By oldschool

No Caption Provided
    With both Dragon Quest IX and Kingdom Hearts 358/2days coming out in the near(ish) future for the DS, which game is the one you look forward to the most?
    No Caption Provided

Clearly, both are significant titles.  Dragon Quest IX has been in production, for what seems like forever.  Surely this means a lot of effort has gone into it to make it a top notch game.  I really can't see it failing.  I also expect it to be the bigger seller in Japan.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Kingdom Hearts is probably a more commercial game when it comes to the west, simply because of the success of the PS2 games and the Disney franchise.  Again. I believe a lot of effort has gone into making this a good game and I don't expect it to fail.  I tend to believe that it will be the bigger seller in the west.

When it comes down to it, if you had to make a choice, which one for you want to get into your DS first and which one will consume more of your time?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

To answer that question for me, whilst it is very tough and line ball, I choose Dragon Quest IX based on the strength of VIII.  I loved that game and I also enjoyed the two recent Dragon Quest games on the DS as well.

So, which is for you and why?

bjacobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By bjacobs

I'm so excited for both upcomming KH games, but I'll admit that my favorite game i've played is Kingodm hearts 2, so i'm a bit of a KH fanboy,  and i'm really intrigued by organization XIII.

edit: whatever. they are both squeenix games, how can they fail?

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Axersia

Well, KH2 is my favorite game of all time and DQ8 a very close second, so I'm looking forward to both these games pretty much equally. Perhaps KH 358/2 Days a bit less so due to its large multiplayer focus which could result in the story mode being a bit on the short side (plus, there's still KH BBS to look forward to as well, which is actually my most anticipated game of the year). I'll definitely be sinking more time into DQ9 since I won't have anyone to play KH 358/2 Days' multiplayer with.

Either way, both should be great games and I'll probably import the Japanese versions of both games.

Oh, and the fact that DQ9 will be the bigger seller in Japan goes without saying -- that game will sell 4 million in its first week of release and could easily become the best-selling game in the series. Unfortunately the days of DQ being the best-selling game of the year are probably over now with all these casual Wii-branded games coming out. I'm sure Wii Sports Resort will beat it, and it makes me a very sad panda.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    Axersia said:
    "Well, KH2 is my favorite game of all time and DQ8 a very close second, so I'm looking forward to both these games pretty much equally. Perhaps KH 358/2 Days a bit less so due to its large multiplayer focus which could result in the story mode being a bit on the short side (plus, there's still KH BBS to look forward to as well, which is actually my most anticipated game of the year). I'll definitely be sinking more time into DQ9 since I won't have anyone to play KH 358/2 Days' multiplayer with.Either way, both should be great games and I'll probably import the Japanese versions of both games."
    With a game as significant as these, I will wait for the English release.  I ahve be known to import Japanese games, but a lot is lost in the translation - meaning I don't read Japanese.  I just muddle my way through the games.  I want to really enjoy the game and that requires English.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Red

I hate pretty much everything about the Kingdom Hearts series. However, I've played both DQV and DQVIII and liked them quite a bit.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'm convinced DQ9 will be pretty good. The new KH game I'm less convinced about though just because I'm unsure about how well the gameplay can be translated onto the DS.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By subject2change

KH because I haven't played a DQ game yet.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool

It is nice to see that Dragon Quest has edged to the lead.  It will be a true hardcore gamers game and should deserve the love.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By AgentJ

Oh its not even close. Dragon Quest for sure

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

Dragon Quest for sure. Never played any of the Kingdom Hearts games so i'm guessing i wouldn't want to start with this one.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    ValkyrieGoddess said:
    "Dragon Quest for sure. Never played any of the Kingdom Hearts games so i'm guessing i wouldn't want to start with this one."
    Go and play Kingdom Hearts 1 and Kingdom Hearts 2 and you will be all set for Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days.  You won't regret it - they are excellent games (unless you really hate Disney characters).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.