Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

WiiP a reality? DS2 & motion sensing capability - dev kits out.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

More and more, the pieces are coming together.  All the rumours around about a new Nintendo platform are getting more real.  I still don't think it will be a DS2, but rather a new name altogether as a "3rd" pillar to the DS, as the DS winds down.  But here is the latest information: 

DS2 in the hands of Pokemon Company

DS2 in the hands of Pokemon Company

The rumoured DS2 development kits are in the hands of select developers in Japan - and include a motion-sensing function, CVG can reveal.

The biggest of the firms working with the device is The Pokemon Company, which CVG understands was the first business to be offered the dev kit.

A CVG insider at a third-party studio currently toying with DS2 said he was aware that "a handful" of other developers had been given the hardware on a trial basis. 

However, Nintendo informed him that it was merely the first version of what will become the finished product. The platform holder is asking those trialling the hardware for feedback - but our man is certainly impressed.

"It's genuinely the best thing I think I've ever worked with," he said. "I can tell you that it's got a 'tilt' function that's not dissimilar to iPhone, but does a lot more. We know that The Pokemon Company are getting special attention with it."

However, before our source went tight-lipped, he said he didn't expect the hardware to be shown at GDC.

"Any kind of March announcement wouldn't fit with the timeline I understand the second DS to be on," he added.

He wouldn't tell us any more for fear of being rumbled, but we'll keep digging.

So there you are folks, a motion-sensing handheld with definite Pokemon goodies on the way. 

Unsurprisingly, a Nintendo rep told CVG today that they wouldn't comment on "rumour or speculation".

Fingers crossed for E3... 

Motion sensing handheld?  Is that going in the right direction for you and how do you think it would work? 

EDIT:  This thread is not approved by Handsome Dead.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

Motion sensing handheld? Hell, I don't even like the touchscreen.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't know about you guys, but I think Dan is pretty excited about this news. Yep...pretty excited

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By raviolisumo

This sounds like a horrible idea.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Willy105

Interesting rumors.

@ajamafalous said:

" Motion sensing handheld? Hell, I don't even like the touchscreen. "

Ha!
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldschool
    @ajamafalous said:
    " Motion sensing handheld? Hell, I don't even like the touchscreen. "
    @Wes899 said:
    " This sounds like a horrible idea. "
    I like the touch screens - sometimes (I am more likely than not to not use it when given a choice), but I just don't see how motion sensing can work.  It better be an option or it will likely be just a gimmick.
    sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By sopranosfan

Not crazy about the motion sensing I just hope it is comparable in power to the PSP and can work off of a cartridge or Memory Stick or something along those lines.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Andorski

WiiP?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    @Andorski said:
    " WiiP? "
    Yep, Wii Portable = WiiP™  (Nintendo will have to pay me for the name).  Come on, it sounds awesome.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm still kind of scratching my head as to why I bought a DSi. I'm having the same problem with it that I had with the GBA. I almost never travel anymore, games are too expensive to buy without trying first (Sorry, dude, but $35 for a handheld game is outrageous, especially considering the fact that I buy the majority of my 360 games for $20), and when I'm home I'd rather play my home consoles. I bought GTA: Chinatown Wars back in November, and still have only played it for about 15 minutes total, despite the fact that I'm a huge fan of the GTA series. It's just not working out. Still, it's cool having a digital camera to play with, even if the quality isn't great. I can't say it's been a waste of money. It did help me get through one bad vacation.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne

I am the first and foremost advocator of motion controls on this board, and even I think the idea of a motion-controlled handheld completely ridiculous.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By gike987

Yay! Now we can wave around like a madman on the buss, just what we always wanted. Thank you Nintendo!

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

CVG stating rumours as fact. K.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Luke

Interesting news. 

I wonder if Nintendo is going to add Achievements to any of their next systems, like the DS2?   Things like "Make Link's Spirit Train all Gold" would be an awesome Achievement and actually make me care about doing stuff like this. 

Heck, where are the Achievements / Trophies at for any handheld? 

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Luke said:
    " Heck, where are the Achievements / Trophies at for any handheld?  "
    Next gen I hope. How awesome would it be for your PS3 and PSP/Wii2 and DS2 to share an account and collect achievements on both of those things, something I want more than anything with the next gen of consoles. 

Anyhow, DS2 needs to happen. DS is starting to show its hardware limits when compared to the PSP imo. Don't care about tilting or none of that but there better be 2 screens again.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oldschool
    @Meowayne said:
    " I am the first and foremost advocator of motion controls on this board, and even I think the idea of a motion-controlled handheld completely ridiculous. "
    I am with you, except, this is probably more about being like an iPod Touch where you just move the console, like WarioWare Twisted on the GBA.  That won't be a bad thing in some games, in particular, puzzle ones (that I am generally not interested in). 
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Evilsbane
    @oldschool said:
    " @Andorski said:
    " WiiP? "
    Yep, Wii Portable = WiiP™  (Nintendo will have to pay me for the name).  Come on, it sounds awesome. "
    Wii P    Wait a second, say it to yourself exactly that way... WEE - P   Not a cool name dude lol.

I think Nintendo may have just outdone Apple on the stupid names for products list.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool
    @Evilsbane said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Andorski said:
    " WiiP? "
    Yep, Wii Portable = WiiP™  (Nintendo will have to pay me for the name).  Come on, it sounds awesome. "
    Wii P    Wait a second, say it to yourself exactly that way... WEE - P   Not a cool name dude lol.  I think Nintendo may have just outdone Apple on the stupid names for products list. "
    But it is cool and the headlines write themselves: 

Bad sales: WiiP in the toilet. 
    Preview: WiiP in our hands NOW! 

I'll stop now  :-)
    Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Jambones
    "Activision inline to release 'While my guitar gently WiiPs,' by George Harrison, as their first Guitar Hero DLC for Nintendo's new portable console" 

Best I could come up with at 2:03 am. apologies. lol.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#20  Edited By AgentJ
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " I'm still kind of scratching my head as to why I bought a DSi. I'm having the same problem with it that I had with the GBA. I almost never travel anymore, games are too expensive to buy without trying first (Sorry, dude, but $35 for a handheld game is outrageous, especially considering the fact that I buy the majority of my 360 games for $20), and when I'm home I'd rather play my home consoles. I bought GTA: Chinatown Wars back in November, and still have only played it for about 15 minutes total, despite the fact that I'm a huge fan of the GTA series. It's just not working out. Still, it's cool having a digital camera to play with, even if the quality isn't great. I can't say it's been a waste of money. It did help me get through one bad vacation. "
    I'm confused, you buy your console games at reduced prices but can't do it for handheld games? If you're buying them used, why not do the same for the DS? If you're just waiting 3 years, why don't you do the same for the portable?
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @AgentJ: Well, dude, I don't buy my games used. Ever. But man, games on 360 drop in price crazy quickly. Seriously, within 6 months, you're looking at a $20-30 price drop, and then another 6 months later and the game is only $20. That doesn't happen on Nintendo consoles. Heck, Mario Kart DS is still $35, man. Same goes for Wii. Unless it's a crappy game, or one that just sold incredibly poorly, it's still going to be full price, even years later. I got a DSi thinking I could catch up on old DS games I missed for really cheap. Man, that totally blew up in my face. Now just about every single one of those hit games is rare and you can find them on Amazon for a low price of around $80 minimum. You've got to be kidding me. 

So yeah, that's what I meant, man.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#22  Edited By AgentJ
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " @AgentJ: Well, dude, I don't buy my games used. Ever. But man, games on 360 drop in price crazy quickly. Seriously, within 6 months, you're looking at a $20-30 price drop, and then another 6 months later and the game is only $20. That doesn't happen on Nintendo consoles. Heck, Mario Kart DS is still $35, man. Same goes for Wii. Unless it's a crappy game, or one that just sold incredibly poorly, it's still going to be full price, even years later. I got a DSi thinking I could catch up on old DS games I missed for really cheap. Man, that totally blew up in my face. Now just about every single one of those hit games is rare and you can find them on Amazon for a low price of around $80 minimum. You've got to be kidding me.   So yeah, that's what I meant, man. "
    Guess we are looking at different games. Next thing I'm probably buying is probably Henry Hatsworth, and that can be had for less than 20 on amazon. Rhythm Heaven for even less.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I WiiP at the lack of proper cited facts which have people excited.  Yeah I went there.

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @Jambones said:
    " "Activision inline to release 'While my guitar gently WiiPs,' by George Harrison, as their first Guitar Hero DLC for Nintendo's new portable console"   Best I could come up with at 2:03 am. apologies. lol. "
    Totally beat me there, although my joke was gonna be

WiiP'ing simulator for the WiiP™ coming soon?

/seinfeld music

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.