Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Entertainment System

Platform »

The NES, also known as Famicom, launched in 1983 in Japan and 1985 in North America, where the video game industry was headed downhill due to a deluge of poor games and over-saturation. Nintendo's second home console became an enormous success, establishing consoles as a mainstream market in Japan and pulling the North American industry back to its feet.

72-pin replacement photos

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Alphazero

I got a cheapo NES from eBay that wasn't loading games, so I tried replacing the 72-pin connector. It worked great. The craziest part was loading up Legend of Zelda II and seeing my save games still there from 20+ years ago. 

Also, I can confirm that Mega Man 2 is waaaaaaay easier than Mega Man 9. Even on difficult mode.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno
    @Alphazero said:

The craziest part was loading up Legend of Zelda II and seeing my save games still there from 20+ years ago. 

Haha, took me a small while to process that sentence. Forgot for a second that games used to write saves to the medium itself and not to an external drive. Man that was ages ago. Is it still functioning? 
    JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JokerSmilez

Where did you get the connector? How easy was the replacement? Maybe post a blog showing the process? I've still got my original NES from 1992 but it's very finicky. Once I can get it to load and play games I have to be very careful not to touch it again.

Gspoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Gspoon

I believe Ebay still has the 72-pin connectors if not just google search.
     as far as replacement its as easy as sliding it off the board.

here is a link for more detail

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Alphazero
    @JokerSmilez said:
    " Where did you get the connector? How easy was the replacement? Maybe post a blog showing the process? I've still got my original NES from 1992 but it's very finicky. Once I can get it to load and play games I have to be very careful not to touch it again. "
    Hey Joker,

I got the connector from eBay for about $2 plus $4 shipping, you can probably find it cheaper. The replacement process was remarkably easy. If you're comfortable putting in and taking out a PC video cards you can handle it. The best part is the NES uses normal phillips head screws, so you don't need anything too funky. 

I used the directions on this site. Getting the cartridge loader back on was the only tricky bit. Overall an easy fix.
    Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Alphazero
    @Geno said:
    " @Alphazero said:

The craziest part was loading up Legend of Zelda II and seeing my save games still there from 20+ years ago. 

Haha, took me a small while to process that sentence. Forgot for a second that games used to write saves to the medium itself and not to an external drive. Man that was ages ago. Is it still functioning?  "
    It totally blew me away. Two of my saves and one from my sister were sitting there, just fine. Zelda II had a battery inside the cart, which I assumed had long since died. It must have some sort of flash-like memory in there, maybe? I have no idea how the data is still there.

I haven't tried saving a new game. Perhaps that's the part that requires a battery.

Anyone know how the internal storage media worked for Zelda II?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.