Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

New Nintendo console at E3 next year?

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Pie

Now that they are putting a handheld out with graphics nearly reaching the Wii's and now that Sony and Microsoft are starting to release there (and let's be honest here)  superior (probably) motion things is it time Nintendo announce a new console? 
    Or is the wii still selling enough? 
    Hell do I know business... 
    What do you think?

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Nintendo is in a better position than Microsoft right now imo

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

I don't think the 3DS will be that close to the Wii.  
    And considering they are releasing enough games with "hardcore" characters to last at least another year, no way they would throw away their current install base. 

Maybe a few more bundle deals, or possibly a price cut. 

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pie
    @FinalDasa: 2012 E3 does sound pretty far away though doesnt it?  
    Also the Wii's already pretty damn cheap, another price cut couldnt be that significant could it?
    TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By TheKidNixon

I think the piles of money that are coming down the pipe whenever the 3DS is launched will help fund Wii 2 development for maybe another year, but it is hard to imagine where they go now with the kinda dusty looking Wii. The only games that really impress visually are those that take a unique visual style (Kirby Epic Yarn might be the most beautiful looking game I've seen for a while), and in a year of shooter overload, Goldeneye looks embarrassingly dated. I suspect that next year is when we'll hear the Wii 2 announced, and that 2012 is when it will actually be released. But who knows where the PS3 and the 360 are in two years time?

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pie
    @TheKidNixon said:
    " I think the piles of money that are coming down the pipe whenever the 3DS is launched will help fund Wii 2 development for maybe another year, but it is hard to imagine where they go now with the kinda dusty looking Wii. The only games that really impress visually are those that take a unique visual style (Kirby Epic Yarn might be the most beautiful looking game I've seen for a while), and in a year of shooter overload, Goldeneye looks embarrassingly dated. I suspect that next year is when we'll hear the Wii 2 announced, and that 2012 is when it will actually be released. But who knows where the PS3 and the 360 are in two years time? "
    Taking full advantage of kinect and Move hopefully, making actual games games with that tech. 
    About the unique visual style you have to wonder why they didnt go full windwaker graphics with Zelda, it looks so much better graphically than the half and half approach they seem to have now
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Skytylz
    @xaLieNxGrEyx said:
    " Nintendo is in a better position than Microsoft right now imo "
    Nintendo is in a better position than everyone.  They are making the most money and that's what it's all about.
    Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't think Nintendo is in a position where they need to release a new console, and it wouldn't make sense to either. If they're just making an HD version of the Wii, then it would have to compete with the PS3 which is now essentially a 3D HD Wii which would have an advantage in install base. Wii's biggest advantage right now is it's price point, and by releasing the new console that (most) people seem to want out of Nintendo (which is an HD Wii) they would lose that advantage and Nintendo already know from the Gamecube they can't compete in that situation because Nintendo have always been their own best developer and had relatively less 3rd party support. They always have to be different to survive, so unless they can think up something else that's different we'll probably be stuck with the Wii for a while. But I also think that when they think up something else, it will probably be added into the Wii rather than made into it's own new console since the Wii has become like a sandbox for Nintendo.  

If they can't think up any new weird ideas to be different, I think the next chance they'll take to release just a straight up HD Wii with more features will be when both Microsoft and Sony release their new consoles and everyone starts on an even playing field again.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho

They really don't need it. If you want HD gaming get an HS console. Play what people are making for the Wii, and play the 3DS. They'll make all the money they need on the Wii and 3DS. Miyamoto's said already that he'll upgrade when the current system is incapable of doing something he wants to do. So it'll be powerful when he upgrades, but he won't upgrade just for the power. He didn't upgrade the DS just for the power, he waited until he could get 3d tech working.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator
    @Pie: Yeah the price cut definitely won't happen lol but maybe a bundle thats cheaper than normal or whatever 
    But I wouldn't be surprised if they have a Wii upgrade. Xbox and PS3 have their slims, why can't the Wii do a redesign? 

My main point is that rolling out a whole new console ignoring their current install base doesn't make financial sense. 
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @Skytylz said:
    " @xaLieNxGrEyx said:
    " Nintendo is in a better position than Microsoft right now imo "
    Nintendo is in a better position than everyone.  They are making the most money and that's what it's all about. "

True, true. I just think Microsoft might have dug a hole too deep for their motion camera to recover from.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.