Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Oculus Rift

Accessory »

The Oculus Rift is a virtual reality headset for the PC released in March 2016.

The dust is settling - so where do you fall on this whole Oculus thing?

• 94 results
    Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Poll The dust is settling - so where do you fall on this whole Oculus thing? (653 votes)

Preordered. Goodbye, real world. 10%
    I have a good enough PC but can't justify that price tag. 11%
    The cost of upgrading + that price is just too much. 14%
    Waiting for the Vive. 3%
    Waiting for the PSVR. 7%
    Waiting for all these damn headsets to come out to find out which is actually worth investing in. 26%
    I'm still not sold on VR at all. 24%
    Other 5%

Where do you sit?

So after that little bomb dropped and the internet was up in arms for a couple of hours, the dust from this first big VR volley seems to be settling. I'm curious to hear what the GB community thinks about this thing as it stands.

Personally, I had the $499 price in my head as a line in the sand (figuring it'd be $750 AUD). With only one game at launch that could be worth putting time into imo (EVE), it was like the PS3 all over again.

I can afford it, just can't justify the thing - especially since it's sold out till June, past when other headsets will be hitting the market and we'll get real comparisons going.

• 
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

i'll wait for a second generation(if by chance VR does catch on) to check these VR headsets out.

nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By nok

Have the pc, also have a family and those responsibilities take preference, the family not the pc ;p I have no problem with the price at all as I actually thought it would be more. Probably get the oculus or a competitor next holiday.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I don't know if the dust has settled one day after the price announcement. One month after release we will be able to safely talk about the dust settling when we can analyze sales, first hand experiences and so forth. Right now it's still a pretty hot commotion. The price is steep, I don't know how anyone could possibly argue that, it just remains to be seen how steep when compared to what it will actually bring to the table. A brand new video card is also really expensive but there is a wide gamut of benefits that it offers.

Personally I could see myself getting a much broader use range from the Hololens than Oculus, but hey who knows, I haven't tried either one for myself.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@humanity: Oh, I don't know - at this price tag, the dust is settling on Oculus as a whole for a lot of people (though you're right - VR in general is literally just getting started).

I don't fall in this camp, I've got a consumer edition Gear VR and am sold on the concept, but I'm waiting for games. I'll likely have more than one headset by the time this year is up (if libraries get compelling enough).

Heck, I'll likely buy the PSVR just for Rez Infinite : P

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Still don't care one iota.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

I would like to know the cost for the other headsets and what software is going to available. More importantly i would like to try it before i would make any investment. I dont want to spend this much money and find out im motion sick all the time or suffer from severe eye strain.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

VR interests me a great deal, but the cost for entry for the Rift is simply too high for me at this point. Oddly enough, I haven't been too excited for PlayStation VR in the past, but the thought of Rez VR, Ace Combat in VR and possibly a lower price point may sway me towards that direction at first.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Still super interested, but it might as well be a Bugatti. Simply can't afford it.

Fingers crossed for PSVR, but I'm pretty sure we're still looking at about ~$400 for that.

badseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't have the pc for it, but I'm not far off. Still not buying though, but to be fair I wasn't going to buy it before the price reveal either. It's less to do with pricing and more that I'm not convinced there will be enough software for it. If it has a kickass lineup in a few years I might buy in.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope VR goes the way of kinect

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'll wait and let the early adopters figure out what works and what doesn't then get one, if VR is good. Like with most other new tech, it will probably take a year or two at least on the market before all the issues are ironed out and everything is going well. I think it can go either way at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing about VR has me convinced yet, maybe it'll be the future, but I don't see it right now.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Dust is settling? They've only just announced the pre-orders. Dust isn't even in the air yet.

That said, I'm not particularly interested in bleeding edge, unproven tech. I'll give a couple of years to see how things shake out before committing to anything.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm not gonna buy a VR headset before having tried it myself. Also, as long as there are any issues with queasiness, disorientation and general fatigue I'm probably not gonna be able to use them.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, I get pretty insane headaches from stuff like 3DS 3D, and other weird gimmicky visual stuff. I'm not against VR, but I think I need to put one on my head and see what it looks like - and if my body can tolerate it before I go spending >$850AUD.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

As far as I'm concerned, there's no reason to buy into VR until it finds its killer app. Until then, it's just kind of interesting.

coloursheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Price is way too high and opens the door for Sony to come in much lower and snap up the market share and get more developers on board because of the higher install base.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waiting for PSVR for now. I want to experience VR but not at any cost obviously. If PSVR is a more reasonable price (like 400 euro's instead of 750) I will jump in.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Seikenfreak

Pre-ordered. Very excited to try it out. Been playing Elite: Dangerous the past week and it would be awesome and actually help camera movement. And assuming it works with iRacing, I'd use it there and other sims as well. Euro Truck sim.. the new American Truck Sim version is coming so maybe it'll work with that.

And just interested to try out other stuff on it. Freak my mother out would also be a fun thing to try.

I don't buy a console or something for a single game. I buy it knowing (assuming, but there always is) there will be many things I will want to try over the the next few years with it.

And again, price is all about perspective IMO. I bought a $700 LG 21:9 monitor a few months ago (it's awesome). The GTX980 I got a year ago or something was $550. I built this old i7 2600k PC maybe 4-5 years ago? Can't even remember but it still seems to be holding its own. A couple weeks ago I doubled the ram in it (up to 16gb) for $40. I just picked up a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS for $315 (on sale!) for Elite: Dangerous (and all the other flight sims I'll want to try in VR). A few months ago I picked up a new LG 1080p OLED tv for $2000 to replace the prevous LG LCD I had for almost 10 years. I put new tires on my truck this week for $660.. and thats not counting the cost of the new wheels! If you've ever done modifications on cars then an awesome, potentially revolutionary, piece of tech is $600.. that's a bargain. A piece of pipe that runs from the middle to the rear of the car is $500-$700.

Everything cool and fun is expensive. You either irresponsibly blow most of your money on it as you go or you don't. And don't think I make a lot of money or anything.. Im a bit over minimum wage.

But don't worry, if it shows up and the experience sucks or isn't all that amazing, I'll absolutely be on here telling people my experience. Talking about this stuff when its hot and fresh is half the fun.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

I view it like the Segway or the new 'Hover Boards' - I really want to try one for an hour, but there is no way I'm buying one. Even if my PC is beyond recommended specs.

Yeah, the price sucks, but I would have thought the same at $300.

reepicheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By reepicheep

@skald said:

As far as I'm concerned, there's no reason to buy into VR until it finds its killer app. Until then, it's just kind of interesting.

There's this, and also that I just don't really want to get into anything first-gen. I'm not that into VR that I want to spend that much money on something that'll likely be improved significantly over the next months/years.

dynamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By dynamix

Wasn't going to be a first adopter no matter how much this cost. I want to see the other headsets come out and get a better feel for the whole thing. Who knows, maybe I'll even wait for the second generation.

But more importantly, I want to see some games that really take advantage of VR beyond gimmicky "this could be fun for 30 minutes" kind of stuff. To be perfectly honest, if Valve came out and said "we're releasing HL3 and it was designed as a VR experience" I'd probably pull the trigger right then and there.

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Frybird

Couldn't justify it.

1) would probably need a new PC because i definitely need a new GPU and it seems an AMD fx-8120 isn't as future proof as i hoped

2) Never got to try Oculus, so i dont know if i get headaches...

3) ...nausea...

4) ...or can even stand being shut out of reality like this

If Oculus made another Rift "Lite" closer to the specs of the DK2 for a much lower price and lower demands, i may have taken the plunge despite points 2-4 and awareness of it being suboptimal, but as it is, i'll check back when PSVR is out or maybe in 5 years or so.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm picking "other" for physically incapable. Well, I'm physically capable, but taking a vomit break every 20 minutes or probably isn't conducive to the VR experience.

I'm just one of those people that either has to be the driver or ride shotgun. My body wasn't built to ride in the back seat, and it wasn't built for VR.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where is " I don't really like VR" choice?

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I mean, I have absolutely no trouble believing that VR is going to be an extremely important technology that will at some point probably be part of my day-to-day life buuuuut, I'm still not sold on VR as something I actually want to use/play games with.

The price and need for a good PC is a pretty large barrier too, but I'm sure all of that will get better with time.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

What do I think....

1) About five seconds after some dude at a Long Island Nuclear Laboratory invented 'Tennis for Two' on an oscilloscope he though, "Gee this would be neat in 3D!" So gaming has been reaching for this forbidden apple for a long time. 3D polygonal graphics, 3d HDTV, and now 3d VR are all just steps on the same path of "I want my games to be viewed the way I see."

2) For better or worse, $600 of lenses and screen and weird controllers and a $1,000 computer will be what is needed for the next five years. The prices won't drop the hardware will just get better. So, if you want it, that will be the price, so unless you want a lesser experience to cut the cost of admission. The next improved Oculus Rift will cost the same amount, and teh next one after that too. The true consumer level of this tech will come out, but it will be the lesser fidelity versions that gamers really will not want....the $200 toy version is never going to cut it.

3) Games worth playing will be there, but do not expect to be wowed month after month. The uses and best uses of VR are still being though out, there will be many poor games and missed opportunities. If you like space shooters, racing games, walking in a spooky house simulators you will be well supplied.

4) Some of you will never really like VR; just like some people will never taste the number yellow. You non-VR people will bitch and whine that VR sucks and makes you seasick. [Soothing patronizing voice] "Yes, VR does suck...now go sit in your cold metal cage while the rest of us enjoy a part of modern life you can never enjoy."

5) Most of use should wait, many of us won't. My thinking is to sit back and watch eveything shakeout. Yet,I have money to burn. If Sony PS VR looks cool I'll buy that, but I won't expect miracles. Anything we can get in the next four years will stink, that is just a fact.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By Atwa

Frankly, the price isn't that bad. It was always going to cost a lot. Considering its high end tech, priced as a high end monitor.

I won't buy it until there are a bunch of things that I want to use it with.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could never imagine sitting with a thing on my head for hours, and honestly i hope that if this vr thing takes off it doesnt replace traditional gaming like polygonal did 2d back in the day. If it does i may end up losing my favorite hobby. :-(

That said i wouldnt mind trying it out and seeing how it works.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'll wait for reviews and also if PSVR is decent I'll probably get that first since I don't want to upgrade my computer for $2,000 any time soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want backwards compatibility for old games on PC for VR day 1 that will sell me I don't want to play tech demos forever.Also it pisses me off that I need three usb 3.0 ports to run the rift I only have two so that's another thing to buy on top of a 970 GPU and the $600 rift itself.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

There's a few reasons I'm hesitant to take the plunge into VR right now:

1. Still no games that interest me. With a few outliers, everything looks like a glorified arcade game where you're stuck on rails or plopped in a cockpit.
    2. I have no idea whether or not I'm going to get motion sick. I doubt I will, but who knows?
    3. I have little interest in a peripheral that shuts me out from the world that much. With a family ahead of me and more and more responsibilities piling up as I get older, strapping on a headset and closing myself out from the world for a couple hours seems impossible. Hell, I'm struggling to find time to play MGS V in more than 2 hour stretches, let alone beat the damn thing.
    4. We've yet to see the other competitors pricing and market acceptance. I have a feeling the Occulus will quickly fall behind if Valve can deliver on epic exclusives and/or Sony delivers a solid VR experience at a much more affordable rate. There first-to-market strategy is really the only thing they have/had going for them, and the sticker shock reaction their facing right now shows that may have been a bad move!
    justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By justicejanitor

I'm in the "Waiting for all these damn headsets to come out to find out which is actually worth investing in" camp.

My PC currently can't run these things so I also need to upgrade it. I was planing on doing so in June anyway. My biggest hurdle in the VR revolution is cost. It wouldn't be a problem for me normally but lately, the Canadian dollar has been going down the shitter. I'd like for it to go back up before I spend a whole lot of money.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

The price is roughly what I expected, but I wasn't planning on buying into any of this VR stuff straight away regardless of the price.

This whole VR thing is really just getting started, and I don't think we're going to be able to even begin to assess its true impact for another 2-3 years.

MostlySquares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummed they priced it this high. PSVR wins this one, and that's cool too. VR is glorious.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I voted for the second one but the actual truth might be closer to, "I'm waiting for them all to be out so I can determine which one is actually the best."

I'm sold on the tech as a cool thing - but I'm not sold on it actually becoming a household necessity. I still think having to wear the whole thing on your head is too big of an entry point to ever make it something I'd want to regularly play games on, and I can't be alone there. I don't even really like wearing a headset unless I'm talking to friends while playing (or recording stuff). I also don't think I could deal with the restriction of spatial awareness. Finally, as someone pointed out, how are the majority of consumers supposed to be sold on this? They're expensive enough that people are unlikely to buy one on reputation alone, so trying it for yourself is then key to selling it. But unless you know someone who already owns one, where are you going to do that, short of going to a convention with demo stations?

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

too much of an ask at the moment- i'd need to upgrade my pc substantially and then buy the unit itself- probably looking at at least $1400 USD.

that's too much to pay for pure potential, IMHO.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still not convinced this isn't just another novelty a-la 3D which has come and gone twice now. I did pick up a piece of Google cardboard for $4, and at that price point, it's totally worth it. I'm going to need to see something more substantial than scuba videos and rollercoaster simulators before I consider investing in something that expensive.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I never felt like VR was a way I would ever want to play games.

I think other applications of the technology will be more interesting.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Already placed a preorder. I already play games that would see benefits from VR support (Dirt Rally, War Thudner, etc).

If the market goes in a direction toward either Vive or PSVR, I have no problems obtaining those in order to get the experiences. That way I see it, I don't see VR tech going away now. It has its niche functionality that will make it difficult for wide scale adoption, but it's also developed to a point where it's actually usable. Unless PSVR comes in at a price point that is much better for the masses to accept, VR will most likely remain an enthusiast item.

JayPB08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I have never gotten the chance to try VR for myself, but hearing about the Rez demo on the bombcast made me realize it may not be for me. It just seems like it be an uncomfortable sensory overload.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I didn't vote because I could choose several.

Don't have the money, still running a computer with a 760 because that's been enough for me with games coming out, haven't tried VR and not dying to yet although of course if great things are heard then I will be interested. I just think there's so much up in the air with competing companies and first versions. I think waiting is smart. If I had the money to blow I might change my tune but that's a big purchase for me now.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I voted for "The cost of upgrading + that price is just too much". I have a 680 GTX in my computer, which still runs a lot of games quite well. Even a few higher end things like The Witcher 3 still looked really nice, even with the settings turned down a bit.

That said, I'm planning within the next 6 to 18 months getting a new computer/building my own for the first time. I'd say my computer is "good" but it is less outstanding then where it was when I got it in 2013 and it is below the recommended specs. Between my current PC, Oculus's recommended specs, and the cost of both upgrading/buying a new PC and getting the Oculus, I can't commit right now.

So I'm actually waiting for PlayStation VR more than anything else right now. (Makes you wonder what Sony is going to do. It would be kind of weird if they release a peripheral that's more expensive than the console)

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm getting it, but I'm waiting for a local distributor so I can get decent support on it. Too much money to deal with importing it myself.

Also getting the Vive, and I fully expect that to be several hundred dollars more than the rift.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hatking

I won't be sold until I get to try one out. That said, I'd really like to try one out. They desperately need to make this a possibility for the general public by either having a low end model or figure out a way to display these at retailers that doesn't get the units destroyed or cause a pink eye epidemic. People can barely be motivated to buy a console for $600, and they already know exactly what to expect for that. Asking them to invest in a technology they've probably never seen before, that's hard.

Either way, I'm waiting. If the other VR headsets come out and one of them is the right fit for me, maybe I'll go that direction. But, I also wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing blows over as quickly as it started. We'll see.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it shouldn't exist, but I have no interest and do not see the long term appeal. Maybe once it's out, but as of right now the VR thing just isn't doing anything I'm interested in.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When it's packaged with next gen Google street view technology and I can journey down a road through the Australian outback.

That and nothing less will make me bite. Please tell me that's coming.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, the price is justifiable in the general sense, and my computer can absolutely support it. But I don't have the money for something like that right now.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By amafi

@clagnaught said:

I voted for "The cost of upgrading + that price is just too much". I have a 680 GTX in my computer, which still runs a lot of games quite well. Even a few higher end things like The Witcher 3 still looked really nice, even with the settings turned down a bit.

That said, I'm planning within the next 6 to 18 months getting a new computer/building my own for the first time. I'd say my computer is "good" but it is less outstanding then where it was when I got it in 2013 and it is below the recommended specs. Between my current PC, Oculus's recommended specs, and the cost of both upgrading/buying a new PC and getting the Oculus, I can't commit right now.

So I'm actually waiting for PlayStation VR more than anything else right now. (Makes you wonder what Sony is going to do. It would be kind of weird if they release a peripheral that's more expensive than the console)

The SonyVR is the one I'm the least sold on because it's on a closed system. No jury rigging support into stuff with something like VorpX for that. So you're stuck with what you get, which so far is 3d photo mode in tekken 7 and some school girl grooming simulator that looks creepy as shit?

And that mecha fighting game Rigs, that looks ok I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.