Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising is a direct sequel to 2001's hit combat simulation game Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis and the expansion pack Operation Flashpoint: Resistance.

Codemasters should change the company name to Codeamateurs

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mike

Seriously. Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is a buggy mess and almost unplayable. Avoid this game until it's either in the bargain bin or a major update is pushed out, it's that bad.

Here are some things you can expect to experience in online co-op if you eventually manage to get into a game. This is just what I remember from about two hours of playing last night (Xbox 360 version):

• Dead enemy soldiers never have weapons on them; just ammunition.
    • Sometimes enemies act like bullet sponges and can soak up dozens of shots - other times they die in one or two shots.
    • Sometimes grenades & smokes can be thrown, but never go off.
    • Weapons picked up out of crates sometimes don't make any sounds when fired.
    • You will get shot through concrete walls...but when you're trying to do something as simple as shoot from cover, there are serious clipping problems and your rounds will get "stuck."
    • You will randomly die in co-op even though no shots have been fired.
    • Turrets in the jeeps and hummers swivel so fast you can't aim them
    • You will get stuck and be unable to move when there is nothing but grass around you.
    • The A.I. is laughably bad. Prone enemies will stand up next to live grenades and wait for them to go off, your A.I. teammates will hang out in buildings with enemy soldiers in plain view, etc.

This should give you a good idea of what kind of game this is. It's almost like an alpha or beta version. I wonder if Codemasters accidentally pushed out the wrong code, but that couldn't happen...could it?
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Hitchenson

Damn, is it really THAT bad?

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By pause422

This game has never looked the least bit ineresting to me, and even though I wasnt big of Arma 2, I had no interest from the start with this game because it was done by someone else. Ive heard nothing but completely negative things from everyone who has played it, I definitely wont be wasting my time even gameflying it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike
    @pause422: The game is actually fun, but the bugs are so numerous and game-breaking that I'd say you should just hold off until it's patched.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

In the PS3 version, the one bug I found was getting stuck in a submenu (outside of gametime) which definitely is a sign of a rushed product.  Hitting O did not get me out; I had to quit the game.   BTW, the amount of bullets one can take (possibly) depends on the difficulty settings (and the distance from which you're shooting).  This applies to enemy AI, as well.  I played mostly Annihilation and Infiltration: On experienced or higher difficulty, it usually takes one shot from a sniper rifle to kill a guy, (EDIT) if you hit the torso or head (not legs or arms, of course).  I haven't experienced any of the bugs you mentioned, but I only have had experience with the PS3 version which potentially has its own yet undiscovered (by me) bugs.  The only feeling of "stuckiness" was one horrible moment of laaag--it took a while to change weapons. Unfortunatelly, they opted to skimp on dedicated servers--which they also failed to provide in Dirt 2.  I wouldn't call them Codeamateurs.  They're just on a lower budget, trying to fill a niche here and there.  I'd still recommend this game (on the PS3, at least), in spite of the getting stuck in a submenu.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

Has Codemasters ever made a good game?  They have published some good games but, what about games they have developed.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @JJOR64 said:

" Has Codemasters ever made a good game?  They have published some good games but, what about games they have developed. "

Huh?  Look at Dirt and Dirt 2.  Flashpoint and the Dirt games use the EGO engine which was co-developed by Codemasters and Sony.  This could explain something (why it has fewer bugs on a PS3).
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By beargirl1
    @JJOR64 said:
    " Has Codemasters ever made a good game?  They have published some good games but, what about games they have developed. "
    they have developed some OK games, but not without a shitload of bugs  
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JJOR64
    @teh_pwnzorer: I didn't know that Codemasters developed Dirt.  I thought they only published it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Codemasters are a pretty mixed bag.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @AjayRaz said:

" @JJOR64 said:

they have developed some OK games, but not without a shitload of bugs   "
    The PS3 version doesn't have any gameplay breaking bugs that I noticed.  One sniper bullet kills enemy (EDIT: except if it hits the legs or arms, of course), on experienced or higher level, for example.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @JJOR64 said:

" @teh_pwnzorer: I didn't know that Codemasters developed Dirt.  I thought they only published it. "

Now, you know and knowing is half the battle.  BTW, Sony really did co-develop the engine. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGO_(game_engine)  
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Only complaint I have is that PC online is broken right now. Nobody can't connect to anybody's match. None of the mentioned bugs have I yet seen.

Well, I did fly out of the map when hit by a tank shell and never got a chance to respawn, resulting in an infinite bird's eye view of the ocean.

At which point I had to disconnect, only to find out I can't connect anymore.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.