Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising is a direct sequel to 2001's hit combat simulation game Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis and the expansion pack Operation Flashpoint: Resistance.

Would you have paid more for more of this game?

hsvlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By hsvlad

What I mean by that is this. OFP 2 is a pretty niche game. I knew pretty much what to expect going in as I had played and really loved the first one, but a lot of my friends who didn't know what it was and just wanted something to tide them over until MW2 really hated it. So we can assume that the number of people who want more of this game are fewer then a more mainstream title. So would you, if you knew what the game was and roughly what to expect be willing to pay say $100-$150 for this if it was loaded with much more content.

Lets say for example that if OFP2 was $150 but came with:

Five factions instead of two (for arguments sake lets say USA, China, Russia, UK and a resistance or insurgent faction).
    Ten campaigns of similar length to the one found in the current game, plus maybe 100 single missions. This may sound like a lot but once you know your way around the mission editor you can come up with new ones very quickly.
    A fully functioning mission editor on consoles or an extra PC client.
    An intergrated mission and campaign sharing system for swapping missions (like Little Big Planet but with more tanks). Any mission built would work on any platform. PC to 360 to PS3 or any combination.
    Five islands, each with a different climate and topography. All factions would have the relevent camouflage and change automatically.
    16 player co-op and 64 player multiplayer, all working with custom missions and campaigns.

It would obviously be a huge game and take many more years to build, but for the people who really want this kind of war sim, wouldn't it be woth the extra cash? Or would you rather get the game for $50-$60 and then get all the extra stuff as DLC. I think I would much rather pay more for getting it up front. Didn't major flight sims use to cost more then regular games. 

Anyone got any ideas about this?

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ineedaname

Piracy would kill it in my opinion, putting a game up for that much would just get pirated.
    I doubt many people have got that much to throw down on one game, or are willing to, I know that it might be a niche of a market but even then those that play probably play more than one game.

I actually do like the concept of paying extra for more content for the game I love, but I can't see myself justifying that much on one game, eventually I'd grow tired of the gameplay, as with every game you eventually have your fill.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Potter9156

No. I bought the original OFP for $40, and it had all of those features. And, also I'll never pay over $60 for a game. Unless it comes with NVGs.

hsvlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By hsvlad

It was just a though. Some of my friends have paid well over what I'm talking about on Guitar Hero/Rock Band. Look at Beatles Rock Band, ok its a bigger niche then OFP2 but still not everyone is going to want it. The full kit on Amazon is $250 dollars. True the extra cost is all the instruments but there is clearly a market that is will to pay these kinds of prices for games. 

I guess its harder to put a value on in game content then it is physical periferals. But even that $250 beatles kit isn't a full band, it's still short two guitars and two mics of the full experience. Maybe thats a bad example as you can still use other Rock Band and Guitar Hero insturments but what about DJ Hero. $120 for the normal game, $200 for the special edition, and there is still going to be mountains of DLC for it.

Maybe a better way to explain what I'm thinking of is more of a Game of the Year edition but on launch. What if once a game went gold instead of releasing it and then working on DLC they just started working on the extra content and added it to the game disc. So when the game actually came out it would have an extra six pieces of expansion pack content already there. Lets say each piece of DLC was to be sold at $10 each and the game was $60 on launch, together thats $120 worth of content, maybe knock $25 off to keep it from hitting $100. 

Hmm I don't like the sound of that as much. But you get the idea.

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By DeadWeezel

I think simply that games used to come with more.  Network expectations of publishers means less in the retail package because you are going to be advertised to a bit later on when you are itching for some more content;  shitty but realistic from a business perspective. 

I hammered FP2 over 3 days, and yeah I'd love more!  I'd not of paid more though, in Europe 60 (88 USD for you price bitching Americans!) Euros is enough goddamn money.  So I loved the game but felt a bit short changed on it.  I'll buy some DLC if it's fairly priced for the play time, and the game has a decent re-playability but I have no interest in playing online, so paying more money for factions is a worthless prospect for me, and those of a similar disposition.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.