Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Operation Flashpoint: Red River

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 07, 2011

The third game in the Operation Flashpoint series. Operation FlashPoint: Red River will focus on co-op gameplay.

Wait, this game exists?

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By KarlPilkington

This game is out tomorrow in Europe.

I just think it seems strange that I hadn't really heard of this until recently, maybe they will start to show more  before the North American release.

Well although the Operation FlashPoint series has not always been a favourite of mine, the games have at least been competent enough to be entertaining. However the new Operation FlashPoint: Red River has only recently come to my attention.
    It seems to be focusing more on co-operative play which could be cool considering that you can be killed in one shot, it might encourage team work or simply be really frustrating.
    There are some gameplay videos out there that show that the game seems pretty run of the mill in terms of an FPS, maybe they realise that they already have the niche audience that will purchase these types of games, so they don't have to advertise. Or they just relaise that the FPS is a bit too crowded as of late.

Isn't it strange that there has been almost nothing about this game about?
    The month and half wait until the NA release also seems strange as well.

Edit: Completely not surprised that people aren't really interested in it.

delorean99947

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By delorean99947

Portal 2, MK, and Socom 4. Don't think anyone will be interested in Operation Flashpoint. Seems like a bad release day. I played the first one and didn't like it. Tried the co-op with random guys and one of them shot us all in the head. I'm getting Portal 2 Friday.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By KarlPilkington
    @delorean99947 said:
    " Portal 2, MK, and Socom 4. Don't think anyone will be interested in Operation Flashpoint. Seems like a bad release day. I played the first one and didn't like it. Tried the co-op with random guys and one of them shot us all in the head. I'm getting Portal 2 Friday. "
    Yeah I think you are right.

I also think the audience for more realistic shooters in terms of the amount of damage you can take is much smaller than the average FPS.

Found this preview series on youtube, looks decent enough:

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mwng

All I can ever think when someone mentions flashpoint is.

B..M..P......500.....YARDS............3........IS DOWN.....

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Evilsbane
    @mwng: Lol reminds me of Arma.   ENEMY - Man - TO OUR - Front.
    KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KarlPilkington
    @mwng: It reminds me of the ARMA II Quick Look with the voice acting.

oddface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oddface

Played the last one co-op with a buddy and it was decent fun. It wasn't really the hardcore realism I was after, it's just cool to have a FPS game that's open enough to truly strategize, something you don't see very often nowadays. Wouldn't play it alone, though.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KarlPilkington
    @Oddface said:
    " Played the last one co-op with a buddy and it was decent fun. It wasn't really the hardcore realism I was after, it's just cool to have a FPS game that's open enough to truly strategize, something you don't see very often nowadays. Wouldn't play it alone, though. "
    Yeah I feel it could be quite intimidating to play alone. Like how frustrated Jeff was getting during Socom 4 at being killed by snipers from far away.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Bollard

Did you play Dragon Rising? I got really hyped for that game, but I think a lot of the fans of the original OFP felt really let down by Codemasters rendition of it. It had lots of issues and the multiplayer was unbearably bad - if you could find a game. 

I think the only reason it sold well over here is Gamespot totally had advertising for that shit everywhere, and gave it a favourable review. They have Red River adverts up now, maybe thats only in the UK? Anyway, I hope this is better (for Codemasters sake) but I'm not buying.
    KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KarlPilkington
    @Chavtheworld said:
    " Did you play Dragon Rising?
    "
    I played it on a console. For some reason I think realistic shooters are preferable to play on a PC, maybe that was my mistake.

I'm in the UK and saw an ad for it from Blockbusters, it surprised me that I had heard nothing about it, I'm also probably not getting it due to the number of games releasing tomorrow.
    Maybe if I convince a mate to get it somewhere down the line I might pick it up.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jimbo

Don't be fooled by the name - the Arma games are the true successors to the original Operation Flashpoint (same developer).  Dragon Rising just happened to have the OFP name (perhaps a little misleadingly) stuck on the box because the publisher owned the rights.

Red River could still be worth a look though, especially for the co-op.  Dragon Rising wasn't too bad for what it was.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Jimbo
    @Chabbs0:  A fair bit of coverage here if you're interested.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By ShaneDev

I said this to my brother early this week and he had totally forgot the game existed. I wanted Dragon Rising to be good since I was a big fan of the first OFP but I did not like Arma 1 because it was just OFP but with better graphics and a real shoddy feeling. Dragon Rising was bad though and it was very disappointing. I said before but I had more fun messing with the awful physics and dropping jeeps and tanks down the mountain on the island, than playing the missions. Red River looked interesting and previews made it seem fun in realistic way not a simulation way which was fine but I have seen no ads for it at all and they picked a bad time to launch it. I may pick it up later when its cheaper.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By N7

I thought Dragon Rising was pretty awesome. I mean, it wasn't a Call of Duty, but I thought it was great just because of that. It was something that I, personally, had never played before.

I liked everything about it, really. Realistic bullet drop so you can't just spray and pray. It was a fun experience. I really hope Red River can streamline some of the slow parts of the game, but other than that, I hope the basic huge levels and weapon feel remains. Co-op should be a blast too.

MrWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By MrWright

I finished the campaign today and I have got to say I enjoyed the game. I went through Dragon Rising when it was released and liked it but I think this is a better game. The fights do not seem to take place at the extreme range that DR did. Also they have fixed the enemy bullet sponges that really annoyed me in the first. As CaLe said there is some bad dialog here but as I like a lot of over the top macho military language I did not find it that annoying.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By infininja
    @delorean99947 said:
    " Portal 2, MK, and Socom 4. Don't think anyone will be interested in Operation Flashpoint. Seems like a bad release day. I played the first one and didn't like it. Tried the co-op with random guys and one of them shot us all in the head. I'm getting Portal 2 Friday. "
    You played the first one or the second?
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Hizang

I didn't know what it was untll I saw it at my local supermarket, and its been outselling Portal 2 and SOCOM, have to see how it faiors out
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Jayross

I'll play it. I liked Flashpoint co-op.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By 014

My cousin and I really like playing co-op games. The last tactical type of shooter we played through (more than once) was Rainbox Six: Vegas 2. That was a game I wouldn't have wanted to play through on my own. But playing side by side with a buddy is a blast. We haven't found the next tactical shooter to play cooperatively. Should we give Operation Flashpoint: Red River a shot? If not, is there anything else?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.