Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Origin

Concept »

A digital distribution platform owned and operated by EA.

Origin will not allow me to pre-purchase Battlefield 3

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By iDarktread

Basically, there's a code that allows one to pre-order Battlefield 3 at a discount, which is why I want to get it from their store, rather than a boxed copy. When I go to try and buy the game, I get this message: "Sorry, but you do not meet the requirements to purchase one or more of the items in your shopping cart." I am rather sure that this means my account is not over the age of 18, which it probably isn't, and it is preventing me from purchasing the game.

I really, really want to just accept Origin, but every minute I spend talking to their customer support sucks energy directly from my soul.  

Why are all of these weird rules in place, anyway? How are any of these silly Origin-exclusive annoyances beneficial? 

EDIT: 

info:  Please wait. An EA Expert will be with you soon.
    info:  You are now ready to chat with Edwin.
    Edwin:  Thank you for contacting Origin Help. My name is Edwin. How may I assist you today?
    you:  Hey there.
    you:  Well, yesterday, I went to purchase Battlefield 3 through your store.
    you:  I was greeted with a message stating that my account was not allowed to purchase the content. 
    you:  Is this because the age on the account is not over 17, or 18? If so, how can I go about buying the game on the account, if I have permission from a parent?
    Edwin:   may I have the EA account email address?
    you:  XXXXXX
    Edwin:   can you verify the date of birth?
    you:  Well, my actual birthday is XX/XX/XX (16).
    you:  "Sorry, but you do not meet the requirements to purchase one or more of the items in your shopping cart."
    Edwin:   thank you. but the date of birth is underage on the account and that date of birth cannot be edited or changed. It is set in stone when you create the account 
    you:  Does that mean that the only way I will be able to pre-order Battlefield 3 through origin will be to create an entirely new account?
    Edwin:   unfortunately yes sorry
    you:  All of my downloadable content, and my Bad Company 2 information across two platforms (Xbox 360 and PC) are tied to that account, though.
    you:  If I buy a retail (boxed) copy of Battlefield 3, will I be able to activate on my underage account?
    Edwin:   you should but don't quote me on that try it out 1st to be on the safe side 
    you:  If I call EA or Origin support, and talk to them on the phone, do you think there's a posibility that they could change the date of birth for me?
    Edwin:   no but it's worth a shot, right?
    you:  I suppose so. Thanks for the information.
    Edwin:  Thank you for contacting Origin and chatting with me.  I do appreciate your time and have a great day! 

After putting in a call to Origin support, the guy said that I can have the date of birth changed, with specific permission, however the name on my account cannot be altered. Why is this a problem, then? According to this German news report talking about this Tweet, your Origin ID will be your Battlefield 3 soldier name. 

Noooow, if I go ahead and find another account, with a name that's not stupid (like one I have now), I can have my downloadable content and Veteran Status transferred over. If I do this, though, my Battlefield: Bad Company 2 stats will very likely be wiped, so says the support person I talked with.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By shiftymagician

Origin may have its fair share of problems, but I won't blame it for not allowing underage accounts the ability to purchase games not tailored to their age group.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By samfo

Make a new account that is over 18?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @iDarktread said:
    Basically, there's a code that allows one to pre-order Battlefield 3 at a discount, which is why I want to get it from their store, rather than a boxed copy. When I go to try and buy the game, I get this message: "Sorry, but you do not meet the requirements to purchase one or more of the items in your shopping cart." I am rather sure that this means my account is not over the age of 18, which it probably isn't, and it is preventing me from purchasing the game.  I really, really want to just accept Origin, but every minute I spend talking to their customer support sucks energy directly from my soul.   Why are all of these weird rules in place, anyway? How are any of these silly Origin-exclusive annoyances beneficial?
    How old are you? 
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz

why'd you make an underage account?   I thought they taught kids better these days!

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By KarlPilkington

They're not allowed to sell an 18 rated game to someone underage.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iDarktread
    @Marz@ShiftyMagician: Well, I made the account to play something Spore related in 2008. I have been making Steam purchases without any trouble, and I'm just wondering why Origin has to go crazy with their rules. Do you know of any over game download services that require one to be of a certain age? 

@SamFo: I explained that since my downloadable content is linked to that account, I'd rather not. I'll get this sorted out anyway, by either calling up customer support, and if that fails, creating a new account even if it is not what I want to do. 

@The_Laughing_Man: 16
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mikemcn

@Marz said:

why'd you make an underage account? I thought they taught kids better these days!

I know, its apparently amateur hour over on Origin. You never make an account for yourself thats below the age of 18. EVER! Do you put your real age into age portals before trailers too?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
    deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure you have to be 17. 

I tried buying an M-rated game on Origin a few months ago before my 17th birthday, and it came up with that message. It was a bummer because I didn't want to create another account because all my games are associated with that account, but there was no way to edit my birthdate. I created that account long ago before I figured out I should always create accounts over 18.

I just now tried buying BF3 on Origin now that I'm 17 and it seems to work.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @iDarktread said:
    @Marz@ShiftyMagician: Well, I made the account to play something Spore related in 2008. I have been making Steam purchases without any trouble, and I'm just wondering why Origin has to go crazy with their rules. Do you know of any over game download services that require one to be of a certain age? 

@SamFo: I explained that since my downloadable content is linked to that account, I'd rather not. I'll get this sorted out anyway, by either calling up customer support, and if that fails, creating a new account even if it is not what I want to do. 

@The_Laughing_Man: 16
    So your mad t wont allow you to break the rules? 
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iDarktread
    @The_Laughing_Man: If you bothered to read what I wrote, you would know that other services, notably Steam, do not require any real age verification at checkout. Since I have permission to purchase M rated games, putting a fake age at an age gate is not breaking any terms of use.  

Having to call up Origin and have them manually change the birthdate on my account is unreasonable.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox

That sucks, but you should totally post the discount code here.

Also you should be able to just use the EA support chat. No reason to use voice with another human.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By shiftymagician
    @iDarktread said:
    @The_Laughing_Man: If you bothered to read what I wrote, you would know that other services, notably Steam, do not require any real age verification at checkout. Since I have permission to purchase M rated games, putting a fake age at an age gate is not breaking any terms of use.   Having to call up Origin and have them manually change the birthdate on my account is unreasonable.
    It doesn't matter what other services do, simply because there is no blanket expectations as to how services police these kinds of matters.  There's nothing wrong in restricting underage accounts to 18+ games and it is absolutely fair for Origin to do so.  I understand this still bums you out due to that neat discount code you have, but Origin has done nothing wrong here.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iDarktread
    @MrKlorox said: I'd rather have people just search for the code themselves, because it's sort of an unfixed exploit of sorts, and you have to go through a bit of process to get a unique code. It's not something that's universal that I can just post up.

Anyway, I'll mention that when my downloadable codes for Dragon Age: Origins (all rated M, that I totally purchased through Steam didn't work, I was on the live chat for over and hour, at least twice, and didn't get my content for close to a month. 
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iDarktread
    @ShiftyMagician: If Battlefield 3 was on Steam, and available for pre-loading, I wouldn't be dealing with this mess at all . Origin's just constantly making themselves so difficult to like, but since I want to play Battlefield 3 on the PC, I have to go through them. 

Also, Spore was an astronomical letdown. I spent ten dollars on the creature creator, which is why I'm here in the first place, with a 2008 account. Sort of a slap in the face, actually.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DystopiaX

For all the shit that Origin's been doing, I take no issue with this.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iDarktread
    @DystopiaX: See, I can't help but be annoyed, even though it is a rather small irritation. 

EDIT: I'm not frustrated enough to take this to the EA/Origin official forums, though.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Marz
    how many games do you have linked to your account?    If not many that are worth ever playing again, i'd say just make a new account under a new e-mail address ( but over the age requirement)
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iDarktread
    @Marz: Well, it's mostly just downloadable content. My issue is that all of my screennames have been taken, by myself, over the years, because every single time I do something EA related, everything breaks.  

The sign-up at Origin makes it sound like the ID you register with is your in-game ID, but I could be wrong. If it is the case, though, I'd rather have my in-game name a screen-name that I can identify with, which would mean that I'd have to contact support anyway. 

Does anyone here have any online games they've purchased through Origin, and if so, is your in-game ID the same as the one you registered with? 

An answer to that would probably help me out quite a bit, actually.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By scarace360

Just buy it somewhere else maybe D2D

ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By ma_rc_01

Of course you can't buy it! It hasn't even come out yet!

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By samfo

Buy a boxed copy maybe?

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iDarktread

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.