Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Overwatch

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released May 23, 2016

A sci-fi multiplayer first-person shooter from Blizzard, in which players can choose from a wide range of Heroes with unique weapons and abilities. It was later discontinued in 2022 for the free-to-play sequel.

Overwatch's ARG seems especially long and dumb.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Admittedly, the people who solve Args are probably way into it. But this all seems like a bit much. Especially since the end result is, presumably, just a new character. Even if she's important to the lore, she'll just be another hero -- one of twenty three.

If she's not done, don't day anything. If she's done, just tell us what her abilities and ultimately are.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I agree, this is really disproportionate to one character being revealed. Also, like, sucks to be Ana, I guess you weren't that important, they just kinda announced her and then life went on.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe if I was part of the community trying to "crack the code" I'd think it's long and dumb. But for the time being it's just a thing I read about through articles here and there and go "huh, that's still going isn't it? well alright then" and just move on with my life so I think it's fine. It'll be out when it's out. *shrug*

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems pretty harmless to me...

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought that being long and tedious was typical of ARGs. But I've never really understood the appeal.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Even if she's important to the lore, she'll just be another hero -- one of twenty three.

DotA 2 and League of Legends both have huge teasers, introduction videos, and basically hype whenever they get new heroes / champions released, and both games have over 100. Fans just dig the build-up. It's part of the fun.

I'm not into this ARG, but I'm glad some people are. No reason for me to rain on their parade.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By stackboy

Eh, it's just a bit of fun and a hype train. CHOO CHOO!!

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Capum15

I really enjoyed the Halo ones but this one hasn't interested me at all.

Probably because of the game itself, where the lore - while neat - means nothing in relation to it.

Also I found it funny Blizzard basically said at one point "You folks are taking to long looking at nothing, here's a hint."

Not against it though; good for the people who enjoy it. I just wish it'd hurry up, a new character would be cool.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It gives something for people who are into to do, and for the rest of us we just wait until they're ready to officially announce the character like any other announcement ever. What difference does it make? It's not like they've been dragging this one announcement out since launch without adding any new content in the meantime.

It hasn't actually been all that long since Ana was added. I honestly didn't even expect them to tease a new character this soon.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If you aren't into ARGs it doesn't hurt you in any way; just don't pay attention until it's fully sussed out and/or officially revealed

If you are into ARGs then it's a fun thing that most companies don't do anymore

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think it's a cool way to lead up to a new thing being revealed but I do think this one has gone on a little long. At this point it's just countdowns leading to more countdowns and I'm losing interest to be honest.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th: Some of it may be on us for expecting something blizzard did not promise but a countdown shouldn't lead to another, more vague countdown.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Yeah, I agree. Why try and make the leadup to a new character mysterious and interesting. Just stay quiet and plop it out one day without warning. It's not like developers interacting with fans in creative ways are a good thing. Grumble, grumble, grumble. I like my vidja games to be no nonsense. I don't understand people who like to have fun... but seriously. It's seems neat, and for those not interested just ignore it. Other people think it's cool.

Especially since the end result is, presumably, just a new character. Even if she's important to the lore, she'll just be another hero -- one of twenty three

I mean, every video game is just a series of inputs and visual design. Why bother. That's the line of reasoning I see here.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

It's cool to see a developer do this. I appreciate the thought Blizzard has put into this, and I think it's cool to have a community so engaged in the game.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

This started out as a really cool idea, but it's become muddled and uninteresting. Sure, it's given the community something to do between seasons, but it feels like it's been going on forever, and we've learned precious little so far. The community hath spoken.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

The latest one did tell everyone to wait (something about the Sombra character 'disappearing' for a while until the percentage in amomentincrime.com completes). I don't think there are any more ARG clues to solve at this point. People are just looking for clues just for the sake of finding more clues, I think (the Skycode fiasco comes to mind).

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly if your not paying attention to it, then you don't lose anything. It isn't like they're mocking you for not going down the convoluted rabbit hole. I'm sure they're going to release a trailer featuring the new character at the date they were always planning to, regardless if people crack the code or not.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By personandstuff

The big month long timer ran down and we got... some more vague clues and maybe something happens in the next patch. So why not have the time countdown to the patch instead of to nothing.

jpon87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if this in particular is blown out of proportion because of the larger audience. I am definitely over the whole thing, although I never actively searched for ARG stuff I would keep up with what was found. The whole thing is cool, but I shrug off the lack of info and just keep enjoying the game. Maybe in other titles that do this sort of thing with a smaller audience the cry isn't as loud, but with a game that's caught on like this it's easier to hear and more newsworthy to the general gaming audience.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jpon87:

It's easy to shrug this off and say "whatever" if you ignored the ARG, but some people actually put a bunch of time into figuring this stuff out and there efforts were rewarded with a) an even longer timer and b) literally nothing. If they end up just revealing her at Blizzcon, it'll be yet another huge middle finger to those people.

jpon87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@socuteboss: That's fair enough. I do think it's weird that Blizzard helped people out right before making them wait for that thing to reach 100%. It's like they weren't ready yet but were giving hints anyway. If they knew the character wasn't going to drop they shouldn't tease as much as they did. Or at least start the weird Bastion stuff sooner

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't lose anything by not taking part in it and not caring about it.

Wait for the actual announcement like you want. You'll get it.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah heres the thing. Everything blowing this out of proportion and blaming Blizzard for "drawing this out", is at fault themselves. For one, no one is making you participate, or care. Secondly, and mainly, most of these people that are saying they've drawn it out and they're over it and just it, got the Ana stuff confused with Sombra. Everyone was so certain everything that had to do with Ana was about Sombra, and even after she released, that she was ACTUALLY just Sombra.

So who's fault is that for making it appear as if this has been going on for that long? No one but they're own. Very simple. No one made you pay attention to it, let alone mess it up yourself.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus christ, today was a real doozie where everything in the arg seemed to come to a head and everyone pulled together to solve a complicated puzzle. And it all resulted in absolutely nothing. Just a "I'll hack some more in a couple days." Honestly, I don't know who thought this was a good idea. I know investing in ARGs is a sucker's game and the community may have blown it out of proportion at points but this is ridiculous. The problem is that, at each step of the way for the last two months, it has seemed like the ARG was coming to a close. Then it didn't. And they are also totally adverse to releasing even the smallest bit of info. We knew she was a Mexican hacker two months ago. Today, all we know about her is that she is a mexican hacker who doesn't like corporations.

Meanwhile, concept art leaked.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.