Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

1070 or a 970

• 53 results
    renegade1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

670 partner card still that i have. Do not buy a 970. 1070 if wallet is tight, frankly i'll probably go with an overclocked 1070 myself

Avatar image for deactivated-629fdfa1dbf9a
    deactivated-629fdfa1dbf9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Sooooo

I've just bought a 980Ti as i got one for about £350. I've sold my old card for £100 so hasn't cost me that much. A 1070 would be wasted on display, and i feel my new 980Ti is still regarded as a decent card. The supply of 1070's in the UK seem real hit and miss.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@barberforce: I game at 1080p/144hz and my 980ti is a fantastic card for that job. Doubt I'll even be tempted by this year's cards.

Apart from the allure of something with bigger numbers attached, I've not paid a lot of attention to them.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Sooooo

I've just bought a 980Ti as i got one for about £350. I've sold my old card for £100 so hasn't cost me that much. A 1070 would be wasted on display, and i feel my new 980Ti is still regarded as a decent card. The supply of 1070's in the UK seem real hit and miss.

Sooo... the 980Ti is effectively a hot-running, 100 Watts of extra heat producing, VR-no-gooding (Simultaneous Multi-Projection stuff), noisy (see getting rid of all that extra heat) GTX1070. And that's before we consider nVidia have a habit of reserving some cool toys only for people with the more recent card architectures so beyond the VR projection tech there may be other differences. Oh, and if people ever start using 16-bit floating-point maths then Pascal chips are up to twice as fast as FP32 (the current maths everyone uses for everything) while a 980Ti runs FP16 instructions exactly as slowly as FP32 ones.

And the GTX1070s are available for £400 for a large factory overclock or £370 for stock speed. Yes, those are going to have a week or two wait on supply (other models are in stock today) but I think you've just grabbed what looks like a bargain but is actually just saving a few quid to buy something that's in every way a worse deal than the new cards we're just now seeing stock of.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.