Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

2x SLi and 3rd GPU for Physx.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sodiumCyclops

My friend is looking at a cheap upgrade to get a little more physx action from his setup.

He is running 2x 8800GTs in SLi on an XFX 780i mobo.

If he was to get a 3rd 8800GT or even an 8600GT and use the 3rd slot for physx, would it work ok?

I know that 3x SLi on this mobo would drop speeds back to 8x instead of 16x, but would that factor in if the 3rd card is just doing physx?

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Binman88

I honestly don't know, but in my experience running two GTX280s in SLi, dedicating one of them to PhysX never really made much of a difference compared with just running them both in SLi. I think he'd be far better of selling his 2 8800GTs and getting a new single 460 or 480.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @Binman88: What should he expect to get for 2 8800GTs you think?

I thought that would be a better plan too. I'm not a huge fan of SLi, but I don't know everything about it either.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Binman88
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " @Binman88: What should he expect to get for 2 8800GTs you think?  I thought that would be a better plan too. I'm not a huge fan of SLi, but I don't know everything about it either. "
    Not a whole lot really - depending on the condition of the cards he could get around $50 or $60 each for them.  

SLi is just kinda messy. A lot of games support it, and for some, the performance increase is noticeable, but it's never really enough to justify the money spent on the second card (even less so with a third card).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.