A question about video cards and motherboards

#1 Posted by Time_Lord (723 posts) -

Hello all I recently bought a Radeon HD 7950 for my current mother board only supports AMD CPUs. Now my question is if I switch to an intel motherboard will my new video card still work on it or am I stuck with AMD for my processor.

#2 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2030 posts) -

You can run an AMD card with an Intel processor, and nVidia with an AMD processor, no problem.

#3 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4498 posts) -

You're fine.

#4 Edited by Time_Lord (723 posts) -

sweet now to look for a good motherboard

edit can any one recommend me a good Intel board for 300 usd or so.

#5 Posted by Devildoll (912 posts) -
#6 Posted by believer258 (12209 posts) -

It is processors (CPU's) that are motherboard specific, not graphics cards. If it's a PCI-e graphics card - which it is - and the motherboard has a PCI-e slot - which it does - you will be fine.

#7 Posted by Slaegar (740 posts) -
@Devildoll said:

@Time_Lord:

lol, 300 bucks for a motherboard?

thats pretty much last time i checked, atleast for the mainstream platforms.

heres and example. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131819

you could go cheaper if you wanted as well.

I use the P8Z77-V (not the PRO, the model down) and its a fantastic motherboard. Asus motherboards come with little connectors that you can plug the front headers of your case into which make life a lot easier.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.