Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

After installing new graphics card help.

• 56 results
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So I installed a gtx 260 into my old pc and when I plugged it in and turned in the screen it was black! I forgot to install my old drivers before installed my new gpu, could that have something to do with it? Thanks.

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BrickRoad

Even if you havent installed the drivers or uninstalled the old drivers you should still see the POST screen etc. Are you sure it's fitted properly, or that the card has enough power? Actually if it's either of those the PC should bleep at you so... does the old PC have on board graphics? If so it might still be using that as the video out. So many things it could be...

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @BrickRoad

Even if you havent installed the drivers or uninstalled the old drivers you should still see the POST screen etc. Are you sure it's fitted properly, or that the card has enough power? Actually if it's either of those the PC should bleep at you so... does the old PC have on board graphics? If so it might still be using that as the video out. So many things it could be...

I don't think it has on board graphics, and even if so it's only used external ones.
    BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BrickRoad

If the screen is black from the moment you turn it on then no signal is getting to it. Even without drivers it'll show a picture. Does the monitors power light stay on green or does it switch to standby, or does it come up 'no signal' etc? Try swapping the old card back in to see if that works okay, and it'll narrow it down to the new card itself as the problem.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @BrickRoad

If the screen is black from the moment you turn it on then no signal is getting to it. Even without drivers it'll show a picture. Does the monitors power light stay on green or does it switch to standby, or does it come up 'no signal' etc? Try swapping the old card back in to see if that works okay, and it'll narrow it down to the new card itself as the problem.

It switches to standby mode. Also, the card isn't new, it used to be in my other computer.
    BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BrickRoad

If it switches to standby it's not getting a signal from that card. That means it's either not seated right on the motherboard or there's not enough power going to it - or it's broken. Obviously you've taken the other card out, right? You've not got both in there?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @BrickRoad

If it switches to standby it's not getting a signal from that card. That means it's either not seated right on the motherboard or there's not enough power going to it - or it's broken. Obviously you've taken the other card out, right? You've not got both in there?

Yeah, I've taken the other out. :P

If it wasn't enough power, wouldn't it beep like you said?
    BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BrickRoad

Yeah I'd have thought so, but if the monitor is in standby then it's not getting a signal. Does the fan on the card spin up or does it just sit there? Are you sure there's no other vga or dvi outputs coming from the machine that might be active? Try putting the old card in and give that a go... sounds like the 'new' cards dead to me... but I can't really tell. Maybe the PSU of the machine can't power the card enough, but the motherboard isn't bleeping because it's recognised a video output...

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @BrickRoad

Yeah I'd have thought so, but if the monitor is in standby then it's not getting a signal. Does the fan on the card spin up or does it just sit there? Are you sure there's no other vga or dvi outputs coming from the machine that might be active? Try putting the old card in and give that a go... sounds like the 'new' cards dead to me... but I can't really tell. Maybe the PSU of the machine can't power the card enough, but the motherboard isn't bleeping because it's recognised a video output...

I noticed one thing about the 6 pin connector, there are 6 cords but 2 on them lead to 1 pin and one pin isn't there, whats that about?
    BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BrickRoad

It's been so long since I fitted a new card... I can't picture in my head how that connector is supposed to look. I'd have thought it pointless to have 6 pins with 5 connected...but somtimes you get stuff like that. Maybe it's that, and so there's not enough power going to it. Open up your PC that it came out of and check the 6 pin connector on that and see how it looks, if it worked in there and it's different then you've probably located the problem.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @BrickRoad

It's been so long since I fitted a new card... I can't picture in my head how that connector is supposed to look. I'd have thought it pointless to have 6 pins with 5 connected...but somtimes you get stuff like that. Maybe it's that, and so there's not enough power going to it. Open up your PC that it came out of and check the 6 pin connector on that and see how it looks, if it worked in there and it's different then you've probably located the problem.

Also as a side note, Its a 400 w psu and a gtx 260. >__> I hope I don't have to upgrade.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Also, the fan isn't spinning on the gpu.

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BrickRoad

If the fan isn't spinning it's dead or isn't getting enough power. I reckon that psu is a bit low though I'm afraid... might be that.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @BrickRoad

If the fan isn't spinning it's dead or isn't getting enough power. I reckon that psu is a bit low though I'm afraid... might be that.

Well, a gtx 570 needs 550 psu and that is a lot better of a card. Also, could it be it's not plugged in properly?
    BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BrickRoad

Your psu is 100w below the minimum recommended wattage, if that's a word. So that, coupled with the fan not spinning up makes me think it's power related. If it wasn't plugged in properly then sure it could be that, but the fan would spin up if it was seated properly and powered I would think. Looking like not enough power to me.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @BrickRoad

Your psu is 100w below the minimum recommended wattage, if that's a word. So that, coupled with the fan not spinning up makes me think it's power related. If it wasn't plugged in properly then sure it could be that, but the fan would spin up if it was seated properly and powered I would think. Looking like not enough power to me.

I'm not confident that's it's plugged in correctly since Ive never installed a gpu before, how would I make sure?

Also, thanks for all the help! :D
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SlasherMan

Make sure you have both PCI-E connectors plugged in, otherwise it won't be getting enough power.
    400W should be enough depending on the brand of the PSU. A 400-450W Corsair PSU for example would have close to 36A on the +12v rail, which is more than enough for this card. It's not just the wattage.

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BrickRoad

As long as the gold connectors are seated within the slot and the clamp is down, if there is one, then it's seated properly. If you have any doubts, take it out and reseat it until the gold connectors are in the slot. The power cables that connect to it probably only fit one way, so if they're in they're okay. I'm wondering if it needs 2 of those 6 pin connections, and your psu only has 1... also I think your psu is underpowered by 100w. And don't worry about the help, I used to do this day in day out 4 years ago or so, so it's fine.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @SlasherMan@BrickRoad Well, i've only been using one of the 6 pin connecters! How do I get/connect another?
    BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BrickRoad

You might need to use a 4 pin to 6 pin adapter cable, the same 4 pin connectors that go in IDE hard drives and CD/DVD rom drives, though I still think you're on the limit with psu power. Check the box of your graphics cards, they might have one in there.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By subject2change

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread but make sure you actually are giving it power. It most likely needs 2 6pin PCI-E connectors. If you are, it is dead.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SlasherMan
    @NekuSakuraba said:

@SlasherMan@BrickRoad Well, i've only been using one of the 6 pin connecters! How do I get/connect another?

If your PSU doesn't have another one, you could use an a molex to PCI-E adapter. Many graphics cards ship with one of those packaged, so see if you have one around somewhere in the box. If not, you could purchase one. They're fairly cheap.

All this of course assuming that your PSU is indeed enough to run it. You didn't mention anything specific about it like brand or specs. But even if it ends up being underpowered for the card, it would be a better idea to actually make sure that it is instead of making assumptions. So, get a cable like the one in the picture below and see if the card works.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @SlasherMan
    @NekuSakuraba said:

If your PSU doesn't have another one, you could use an a molex to PCI-E adapter. Many graphics cards ship with one of those packaged, so see if you have one around somewhere in the box. If not, you could purchase one. They're fairly cheap.

All this of course assuming that your PSU is indeed enough to run it. You didn't mention anything specific about it like brand or specs. But even if it ends up being underpowered for the card, it would be a better idea to actually make sure that it is instead of making assumptions. So, get a cable like the one in the picture below and see if the card works.

I have one of these, if I get another how do I know my PSU has another two 4 pin connectors.
    BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BrickRoad

@NekuSakuraba: Well, take a look inside your case. Are there 2 spare 4 pin connectors, or are they all going to DVD/ CD/ HDD drives? This was the cable I was talking about earlier by the way, I didn't realise you were already using one.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SlasherMan
    @NekuSakuraba: Would this cable you have already be the one you used for the first power plug? You said you already had one PCI-E connector plugged in.

Anyway, just look at your PSU and find 2 free molex connector for the second one. Shouldn't be hard to do.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @BrickRoad

@NekuSakuraba: Well, take a look inside your case. Are there 2 spare 4 pin connectors, or are they all going to DVD/ CD/ HDD drives? This was the cable I was talking about earlier by the way, I didn't realise you were already using one.

I see only 1 that is in my cd drive, my other one is connected by a fairly big bridge thing, sorta like a SLI bridge, to the motherboard. However, there seem to be a lot of other plugs and this is really confusing me!
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Also there are some wires that plug into the motherboard for the PSU, they look like the GPU connecters, what are they for? >_>

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BrickRoad

If there are 2 spare molex (4 pin) connectors hanging loose from the psu then you're good to go, if not then... you might need a new psu.

They're powering the motherboard most likely, and fans for the cpu etc.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @BrickRoad

If there are 2 spare molex (4 pin) connectors hanging loose from the psu then you're good to go, if not then... you might need a new psu.

Hm... Seems I can find all 4 molex but it that means they aren't connected to the CD drive... BUT it seems there were multiple plugs going Into the cd drive and I don't know if they are able to run the CD drive or not.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SlasherMan
    @NekuSakuraba said:

Also there are some wires that plug into the motherboard for the PSU, they look like the GPU connecters, what are they for? >_>

Those are the 4-pin (or 8-pin depending on your motherboard) CPU power connectors.

If you look closely, you'll see that they're nothing alike and they're pretty hard to mistake for one another. PCI-E connectors are 6-pin, the ones you're talking about are not. There is also the fact that they're made in such a way that they can only fit into a compatible socket, so you'll never be able to plug one where it shouldn't be.

Perhaps take some time to familiarize yourself with them. They'll be much easier to work with once you know where each goes, what it does, etc.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Also, how many plugs should be going into the HDD?

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SlasherMan
    @NekuSakuraba: From the PSU itself, only one power connector is needed for the HDD/CD/etc. It could either be a molex power connector, or a SATA power connector depending on what the device takes. Some of them have both sockets available, but you only need to use one.
    BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BrickRoad

The Cd drive will have had the 4 pin cable and an IDE cable, or sata cable coming form it, and possibly but unlikely a digital audio cable. The cd drive wont work without power. You don't need 4 though you need 2 spares, unless you're counting the 2 you're already using, then you need 4.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Sounds like you might need a new PSU that will have the connectors you need. Especially if your current PSU is from a prefab PC since those usually have just enough connectors for whatever components came with the PC and maybe one six pin if you're lucky. The 260 needs two six pins to be sufficiently powered.

Also if you do have to install a new PSU, get a friend who knows what they are doing. At the very least they can at least guide you through the process to make it much easier on you and your hardware.

Not trying to be mean or anything, I just think someone who can show you visually what to do would be much more helpful than a bunch of text. Even though these cats are being plenty helpful too!

Also I remember having this problem when I installed my GTX 260. I had to go into my BIOS and disable the integrated graphics card, and after that, I got a signal through the card. But yeah, first things first, make sure you have enough power.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @SlasherMan@BrickRoad So do they both (CD/HDD) need a connector to both the motherboard and power supply?
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SlasherMan
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @SlasherMan@BrickRoad So do they both (CD/HDD) need a connector to both the motherboard and power supply?
    Yep, one to the MB and one to the PSU.
    BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BrickRoad

The HDD and CD need 1 power and 1 data cable.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @SlasherMan@BrickRoad hmm.. Ok. Well, I also have this connection I don't have the name for! It's on a wire that has 1 of them one end of the cable, one of them along the wire and a molex on the other end. Can you guys maybe give me a name for that?

Also, @wolf_blitzer85 No one I know is really into computers, and this might sound weird but I am actually enjoying getting this fixed and learning all these new connections. I've had really nice gaming computers before (and now) but I've never installed any hardware inside before.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

@NekuSakuraba said:

Also, @wolf_blitzer85 No one I know is really into computers, and this might sound weird but I am actually enjoying getting this fixed and learning all these new connections. I've had really nice gaming computers before (and now) but I've never installed any hardware inside before.

No that sounds perfectly normal. If you're having a great time then continue on and learn! When you finally get that stupid thing booting up correctly, it will feel great!

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @wolf_blitzer85

@NekuSakuraba said:

No that sounds perfectly normal. If you're having a great time then continue on and learn! When you finally get that stupid thing booting up correctly, it will feel great!

Yeah, I hope so! It would be nice to have someone who knows a lot about computers, but a lot of my friends even if they like computers/games they haven't really installed hardware before. I'm 15 so most of my friends are either into consoles or if they are into computers know there hardware but haven't put a computer together before.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SlasherMan
    @NekuSakuraba: Does it look anything like the top cable in this picture?

If so, that would be a SATA power cable. That's used to supply power to hard drives and optical drives from the PSU.

The cable below that is a SATA data cable. That what you connect to the motherboard.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @SlasherMan

If so, that would be a SATA power cable. That's used to supply power to hard drives and optical drives from the PSU.

The cable below that is a SATA data cable. That what you connect to the motherboard.
    Yep, it's the thing at the top of the picture! To make this a bit more simple -

My PSU has 4 molex pins (they have little connections coming from the bottom of them), one sata power cable (not like in the picture, just a standalone one from the psu).

I also have the sata power cable, but I would need 1 more molex for that, wouldn't I? So long story short, is there anyway with only 4 molex cables, using alternate cables, to use the gpu, 1 cd drive and a HDD?
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @NekuSakuraba
    @SlasherMan

Yep, it's the thing at the top of the picture! To make this a bit more simple -

My PSU has 4 molex pins (they have little connections coming from the bottom of them), one sata power cable (not like in the picture, just a standalone one from the psu).

I also have the sata power cable, but I would need 1 more molex for that, wouldn't I? So long story short, is there anyway with only 4 molex cables, using alternate cables, to use the gpu, 1 cd drive and a HDD?
    Also, I have 2 sata data cables and a IDE cable which I'm guessing was used for 2 CDs and 1 HDD? I have 2 cd drivers but I only need one.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SlasherMan
    @NekuSakuraba: Unless your PSU has at least one "native" PCI-E power cable (i.e a 6-pin power cable straight from the PSU itself), then probably not. You need 4 molex cables just for the two PCI-E cables you want to add on, so you still need another two for the CD and HDD (assuming your PSU doesn't already have at least one SATA power cable coming directly from it).

That said, there is such a thing as molex splitter cables, which will supply you with additional connectors.

I have to say though, if your PSU is this lacking in connectors, and doesn't even at least have one PCI-E connection coming straight from it, I wouldn't be too optimistic about it being able to power the card once you get everything connected right. That said, I'd still recommend trying it before going out and potentially wasting money on something you might not actually need (i.e a new PSU).
    BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BrickRoad

If you have 1 IDE cable then you probably used that on both CD's and had the HDD on the Sata cable. I think... I'm a bit lost as to what you've got going on in there now, sounds like a real mix. I think you're using a molex to power some SATA though so...you cant use that one.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @SlasherMan I have one sata power cable coming from the psu as I said. The psu is a pyron which I'm guessing is a generic brand.

@BrickRoad one of the CDs don't have an ide slot, so it was 2 sata data cables and the one ide.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Also, i still don't get why if a 500 watt is enough for a 570 a 400 wouldnt be enough for a 260. Maybe it's a brand thing?

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SlasherMan
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    @SlasherMan I have one sata power cable coming from the psu as I said. The psu is a pyron which I'm guessing is a generic brand.
    Ah, ok. It got a bit confusing there. I believe you'd still be one molex short. A molex splitter cable like the one I suggested above should solve that.
    And yeah, that does sound like a generic brand (and considering I can't find much about it on Google, it probably is).
    BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BrickRoad

It's not that the 260 is a weak card though... it's still more powerful than my 9800 and that uses a PCI-E connector, and needs 500w. 400w is pretty low these days I think.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @SlasherMan
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    Ah, ok. It got a bit confusing there. I believe you'd still be one molex short. A molex splitter cable like the one I suggested above should solve that.
    And yeah, that does sound like a generic brand (and considering I can't find much about it on Google, it probably is).
    @BrickRoad

It's not that the 260 is a weak card though... it's still more powerful than my 9800 and that uses a PCI-E connector, and needs 500w. 400w is pretty low these days I think.

I have another, much better computer with all quality parts (my second build) but I'd still want this one running well also, what do you think about generic PSU brands? Should I just buy a cheap but high watt one or..

Also, yes, 400 watt is pretty low which sorta sucks for me. XD

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.