Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

AM2 or AM2+?

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Black_Raven
    My current AM2 motherboard is having some problems and if the repair cost is not worth it (which it most likely wont be) then I'm going to buy a new one, before you reply with your recomendations I know an intel motherboard is a better choice, but I'm not really looking for an upgrade but just a replacement. This doesnt mean I'm going to buy an identical motherboard to my old one but I dont wont to spend the extra money right now on a new CPU. I'm looking at Asus motherboards and there are both AM2 and AM2+ mobos that I'm considering. My question is are AM2+ motherboards really worth having? I know I dont gain any advantage because I'm running an athlon processor, but would a phenom be a good upgrade sometime in the near future? Also the AM2 mobo which I'm considering cost $20 more and supports SLI.
    agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By agent_lost

I'm don't know much about AMD but I know this, get a crossfire motherboard. Here there reason, ATI is part of AMD family. So is natural that the get better board for there ATI card and less care for a Nvidia chipset. Also the AM2 CPU will work on a AM2+ socket.

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By StressedOutCat

I would recommend getting an AM2+
    the phenom might not be as good as an intel CPU... but that's only if your doing video editing .. or rendering ...
    if you just playing games.. or just use it for everyday use.. it makes little to no difference... in fact most cases going the AMD route makes more sense cause they are cheaper than their intel counterpart ( getting more for less money )
    also the most common problem with AMD isn't that they are bad... is that they cant make their cpus reach speeds beyond the 3ghz at std factory settings... or able to overclock well... ( intel duo core overclocks really well ) .. if you don't want to overclock and just put one AMD and one intel CPU at stock speeds in comparison ... the difference is minimal ( specially in games )
    also this problem with overclocking an AMD CPU to higher speeds will be resolved once AMD starts making 45nm Phenoms ..and the first ones of those will be AM2+

the only question remains ..which is more up you.. is which AM2+ chipset are you thinking of getting ?
    which translates to:  how much money you willing to spend and what is your primary use of your computer on a day to day basis ?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.