Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Are RAM important?

Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Flaboere

Hi guys. My girlfriend is looking to upgrade her computer for The Witcher 2, and as usual I turn to my older brother for help. I'm always looking to buy more RAM, and he's always telling me I don't need it. My girlfriends pc is something like: 

AMD Athlon 64 2x Dual Core 5600+ 
    2GB DDR2 Ram 
    GeForce 9600 GT 
    Win7 32bit  

And Witcher 2 doesn't run good. I know she needs a better grafics card, don't know about processor, but I would also think she would need 4GB Ram. My brother insist that the 2GB extra RAM wouldn't make a noteworthy difference(even with Win7 64bit), but on the other hand, I see people on the net talking about getting 8GB Ram or even more! I guess my question is, which part of gaming does RAM handle, and which games are RAM heave, which are GFX Card heavy? I see Witcher 2 recommending 4GB Ram, but I know Windows uses up alot of the available RAM, so how much does games even need? 

Thanks!

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By mfpantst

Dude all you need is a fast processor, nice graphics and 0GB ram.  Ram is pointless and a sham, yo.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Brendan

I would upgrade that graphics card first. 

Edit:  You already said that, nevermind.  Adding 2 gigs of ram is dirt cheap, so I don't see why not.  In a slightly older system it can be useful outside of playing games anyway.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By benjaebe

4GB of RAM is a pretty decent baseline. After that you won't see much of a performance boost in anything. I'd be more concerned with the processor and graphics card, to be honest. Both are on the low end for Witcher 2. You could probably ditch upgrading RAM in favor of upgrading those two, if the choice came down to it. I only use 2GB and get by just fine.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

That's DDR 2 ram, 4 gigs will be better. But for DDR 3 ram, 4 gigs should be enough. Your ram is so outdated and so unpowerful, it will help but not much of a difference. But you should have 4 gigs already, since the operating system uses a certain amount of ram. Usually operating systems with 32 bit can only support 4 gigs or ram, not sure about windows 7 but I think it should be the same.

You should be concentrating on your cpu instead, also your videocard is totally weak.

Also even if you upgrade your videocard, you are still bottlenecked completely by your cpu, you won't see much of an improvement frameratewise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eedc15bc689f
    deactivated-5eedc15bc689f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

RAM is a cheap upgrade, hell, I just bought another eight gigs to throw in my machine for a total of sixteen. Even being DDR3 it only cost me $80 and that's Corsair not some generic crap RAM. 

If you can afford it grab the extra RAM and upgrade that video card, I hear great things about the new 560's.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Edit: "Are RAM important?" - A question a child might ask, bu not a child's question! 

@Flaboere
    :  We need to know your budget, man.. do you have money to upgrade one thing only, or what ?
     But either way, 4 gigs of DDR3 RAM is the sweet spot for PC games in 2011.. DDR2 ram is weak now, and 2 gigs of it are barely enough!  
    Oh and like Hitman said, make sure to install Win7 64bit rather than 32 in order to utilize the entire capacity of your RAM

@benjaebe said:

I only use 2GB and get by just fine.

For real ? 

@HitmanAgent47 said:

Also even if you upgrade your videocard, you are still bottlenecked completely by your cpu, you won't see much of an improvement frameratewise.

Which is why if you don't have the cash for an enormous upgrade, you should split the money on both a good-enough video card and a powerful-enough processor 
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Beaudacious

Is Ram important

Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Flaboere

Thanks for all the good answers; I am however still very interested in which games, if any, are RAM heavy, or which part of games RAM are handling!

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Most of the time ram handles loading, not sure about texture streaming or level streaming which I don't think so. Your operating system needs a certain amount of ram to run better. There is also Vram, for your videocard which probally takes care of the streaming. 

Gta 4 is very heavy on the Vram, crysis utilize some ddr3 ram. Still ram decreases loading time and I need to do more research on this particular topic.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By the_hiro_abides

RAM does a lot of things but you're mostly only going to notice it helping with load times. Regardless though, your CPU and video card are doing most of the heavy lifting.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By benjaebe
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

@benjaebe said:
    I only use 2GB and get by just fine.
    For real ? 

I'll clarify that by saying that I haven't played any new graphic-intensive titles in 2011 so maybe I've hit the limit and should pony up for an upgrade. For what I've been using it for, mainly Valve games and the occasional MMO or Battlefield, 2GB has been sufficient. 4GB is still the sweet spot, but given the choice between RAM and other things I'd say that upgrading the processor and graphics card still pull ahead.
    RAM is pretty damn cheap anyway.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By iamjohn
    @HitmanAgent47: I'm pretty sure streaming would be something handled by RAM, since it's cacheing some of that level info so it can stream it to you without hitching up. 

The point is, like others have said, you girlfriend should have at least 4 gigs, Flaboere, especially if she's going to keep running on DDR2 RAM and not upgrade her motherboard.  2 gigs of DDR2 just isn't enough nowadays.
    Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Flaboere
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Actually it's my girlfriends budget, not my own, she's not rich, but I think she's gonna buy the GeForce 550 Ti, which she can get for about 200$. I guess processor will have to be next, but she's gonna need a new motherboard for that, so she's kinda holding out untill she get's some more money before doing that.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @iAmJohn: can a hardrive cache the levels too? I have an SSD and it removes most of the popups i've seen in games. Also Vram, does it stream too? or just ram? I have a videocard that has 1 gig of Vram, but I have 6 gigs of DDR 3 ram with an SSD.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iamjohn
    @HitmanAgent47: Sounds right to me, though I'm not sure if VRAM handles streaming or not.  Computers, yo.  I don't know how they work, just that they work (well, my desktop I built in 2007 still kind of works, at least). :P
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Flaboere: just so you know, the game is going to stutter because of a slow dual core even if you upgraded the videocard. I've been there and that card is weaker than a gtx 460 1gb. If you want something with value, maybe consider a gtx 460 1gb or gtx 560ti. Don't be fooled just because it's a gtx 500 series, it's going to be more powerful than the high end of the last series. 

Here is a card for $200, should be more than good enough and smokes the gtx 550ti. Almost twice as powerful. Still upgrade everything, ram, a quad core phenom and this videocard. A quad core should reduce the stuttering dual cores gets.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121446

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125383

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127592

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130661

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#18  Edited By Kidavenger

At this point in the game, if you are gaming and using Vista or Windows 7, you need 4 gigs of ram,  Windows itself uses about 1.25-1.5 gigs on a fairly clean install and only goes up with the more crapware you accumulate. You can check whether you are capping your ram or not by opening your task manager while the game you want to run is active and see where you are at on the performance tab. 

The 9600 isn't the greatest, but if you aren't playing at high resolutions, it'll get the job done, I wouldn't buy a new videocard for that computer as it sounds like pretty much everything is out of date.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By groin
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    Most of the time ram handles loading, not sure about texture streaming or level streaming which I don't think so. Your operating system needs a certain amount of ram to run better. There is also Vram, for your videocard which probally takes care of the streaming.   Gta 4 is very heavy on the Vram, crysis utilize some ddr3 ram. Still ram decreases loading time and I need to do more research on this particular topic.
    Textures have to be loaded from the disk into RAM. They are then uploaded to the GPU afterwards . Levels are treated in almost the same way. Normally, all of the geometry is stored in RAM and small portions of the geometry are uploaded to the GPU for rendering.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Flaboere said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Actually it's my girlfriends budget, not my own, she's not rich, but I think she's gonna buy the GeForce 550 Ti, which she can get for about 200$. I guess processor will have to be next, but she's gonna need a new motherboard for that, so she's kinda holding out untill she get's some more money before doing that.
    Well.. i don't know whether she should upgrade the video card or the cpu for now, i dunno which resources Witcher 2 is most demanding of. 

like for example, if you were talking about Bad Company 2, i'd say leave the GPU for now and upgrade the CPU because that poorly-optimized game was VERY CPU-heavy 

Maybe some of the people who played W2 can tell us in what aspects it is more demanding?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @groin: tell me about Vram then, what does it do? If DDR 3 ram takes care of the texture streaming.
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rattle618

So there are people in this world with less than 6gbs of ram on their pcs?.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Rattle618: that's correct, not everyone uses a X58 mobo with triple channel memory, some uses dual channel memory which is like 4 or 8 gigs.
    groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By groin
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    @groin: tell me about Vram then, what does it do?
    VRam stores the textures, geometry, pixels, shaders, and many other things. 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @groin: you mean it's not all done by the gpu? I always thought geometry, pixel shaders and vertex shaders were rendered by the gpu on the fly.

edit: Are you saying the textures goes from the DDR 3 ram to the Vram too? that's sort of unefficient.
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I'm still using a rig that I built 5 years ago! 

So, 2 gigs of DDR RAM. I'm surprised it runs as well it does.

Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Ocean_H

RAM IS important: increased stability, faster loading, etc.

the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By the_hiro_abides
    @groin said:
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    @groin: tell me about Vram then, what does it do?
    VRam stores the textures, geometry, pixels, shaders, and many other things. 
    That makes sense to me, certainly explains why most video cards have a gig of VRAM.
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Beaudacious

I' say The Witcher 2 uses about 4 gb's by itself on full ultra settings, and texture pop in is non existent at that amount. So i guess that's the theoretical maximum, i run 8gb's drr3.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kidavenger

RAM is basically instant access hard disk drive space for the CPU. 

When you turn on your computer, Windows gets loaded from the HDD to RAM and as you open programs/games, each one of those is loaded into RAM, the more RAM you have, the more programs you can run at once or you can start running larger/more complex programs. 

Once you run out of RAM, Windows has to start doing stuff that bogs everything down like creating virtual RAM on the HDD which is always slower than regular ram even with SSDs. 

Faster RAM is nice, but it is absolutely crucial to have enough because the alternative is real slow.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By groin
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    @groin: you mean it's not all done by the gpu? I always thought geometry, pixel shaders and vertex shaders were rendered by the gpu on the fly.  edit: Are you saying the textures goes from the DDR 3 ram to the Vram too? that's sort of unefficient.
    The CPU has to feed the GPU. All of the game's assets (textures, shaders, models, levels) have to be loaded into RAM at some point before they are uploaded to the GPU's VRAM. If you are working with large amounts of geometry (Just Cause 2, GTA, etc) then developers typically load the geometry that is near the player. They use data structures such as binary trees to figure out what the player can actually see and only upload the visible geometry to the GPU. If the player moves around then new geometry has to be constantly uploaded to the GPU.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By StaticFalconar

I have 8 gigs of ram and am loving it. Although with the rig spec the OP posted, Ram shouldn't be the 1st priority. 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @groin: one more question, your basically updating my understanding. Tell me more about the cpu's role into this process. Where does it start from, I guess the hardrive to the ram, cpu then the vram which is then rendered in the gpu to your display? I like to know the cpu's role in all of this, I know the cpu helps with framerates or reduce bottlenecking, not sure how much graphical assets and textures it has to deal with, maybe it's directly from the ram, to the vram, to the gpu and to the display. What's your background? you study computer science? game developer?

Edit: your also talking about level streaming right? what you can see, it's probally offloaded in the ram and streamed when necessary depending on the draw distance set by the game's console.
    groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By groin
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

@groin: one more question, your basically updating my understanding. Tell me more about the cpu's role into this process. Where does it start from, I guess the hardrive to the ram, cpu then the vram which is then rendered in the gpu to your display? I like to know the cpu's role in all of this, I know the cpu helps with framerates or reduce bottlenecking, not sure how much graphical assets and textures it has to deal with, maybe it's directly from the ram, to the vram, to the gpu and to the display. What's your background? you study computer science? game developer?  Edit: your also talking about level streaming right? what you can see, it's probally offloaded in the ram and streamed when necessary depending on the draw distance set by the game's console.

The CPU is basically the train conductor that is shoveling coal into the train's (metaphor for GPU) engine. The GPU does most of the work but the CPU gives it data to work with. Yes, I studied computer science and work as a programmer (not a game developer though). I have done game dev as a hobby.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @groin: thanks for all the info today, you really helped me to understand it better. 

Edit: I knew it.

Still I want to comment for the thread how having more ram, more vram, doesn't make the framerates faster or anything. So I hope ppl doesn't think having more ram equals more frames. Sometimes a 512mb vram gpu is just as fast a 1gb card. Or a 1gb card is just as fast as a 2 gig card of the same type of card. Having a better cpu (quad core or i7) or gpu will make the difference in frames if you have enough ram.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Rattle618 said:

You rascal. 

@groin said:
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

@groin: one more question, your basically updating my understanding. Tell me more about the cpu's role into this process. Where does it start from, I guess the hardrive to the ram, cpu then the vram which is then rendered in the gpu to your display? I like to know the cpu's role in all of this, I know the cpu helps with framerates or reduce bottlenecking, not sure how much graphical assets and textures it has to deal with, maybe it's directly from the ram, to the vram, to the gpu and to the display. What's your background? you study computer science? game developer?  Edit: your also talking about level streaming right? what you can see, it's probally offloaded in the ram and streamed when necessary depending on the draw distance set by the game's console.

The CPU is basically the train conductor that is shoveling coal into the train's (metaphor for GPU) engine. The GPU does most of the work but the CPU gives it data to work with. Yes, I studied computer science and work as a programmer (not a game developer though). I have done game dev as a hobby.
    so why does a CPU do all the work when the game is poorly optimized? how does poor optimization give the coal shoveler more work ?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Ahmad_Metallic: maybe it means there are more coal shovellers for things like an i7 with 8 cores, or threads. Also there are more train areas to put coals into a fire, not only one. Overclocking can make one of the fires hotter and make the train run faster.
    Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kidavenger
    @Ahmad_Metallic: The program splits the tasks between the CPU and the GPU, if it's poorly coded; the CPU ends up doing the majority of the work while the GPU is wasted doing nothing and possible creating a bottleneck in the CPU if it isn't powerful enough.
    groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By groin
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @Rattle618 said:

You rascal. 

@groin said:
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

so why does a CPU do all the work when the game is poorly optimized? how does poor optimization give the coal shoveler more work ?
    Well, you can have a poorly optimized graphics engine as well. If it takes 100 API calls to render your master chef model when it can be done with only 25 API calls then you have an optimization problem. Also, some API calls might be slow on AMD cards but not on Nvidia cards (and vise versa).  Optimization is a complex issue and there can be many factors that affect it.
    ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@Flaboere said:

Hi guys. My girlfriend is looking to upgrade her computer for The Witcher 2, and as usual I turn to my older brother for help. I'm always looking to buy more RAM, and he's always telling me I don't need it. My girlfriends pc is something like: AMD Athlon 64 2x Dual Core 5600+ 2GB DDR2 Ram GeForce 9600 GT Win7 32bit And Witcher 2 doesn't run good. I know she needs a better grafics card, don't know about processor, but I would also think she would need 4GB Ram. My brother insist that the 2GB extra RAM wouldn't make a noteworthy difference(even with Win7 64bit), but on the other hand, I see people on the net talking about getting 8GB Ram or even more! I guess my question is, which part of gaming does RAM handle, and which games are RAM heave, which are GFX Card heavy? I see Witcher 2 recommending 4GB Ram, but I know Windows uses up alot of the available RAM, so how much does games even need? Thanks!

You need a modern processor like an Intel i7 or at least an AMD Phenom X6, a modern video card such as a GeForce 4xx series(or higher) or an AMD equivalent. I'd also go with absolutely no less than 4 GB of DDR3 ram. You will of course need to buy a whole new motherboard and power supply to support all that. In other words your computer is too old to invest money in upgrades. It would be a better cost/performance ratio if you just built a new one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.