Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Best PC Speakers?

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey Everybody!

I recently posted a question about fun local co-op games and got a wonderful collection of new games based on your advice, so now i was going to pick your brains on a new topic! I bought a super computer and got a sweet gaming keyboard, mouse, oculus rift, and other stuff, but I feel i'm lacking in the speaker department.

I was wondering if anybody could recommend a nice set of speakers. I don't need a system thumping Turn Down For What blow out the windows set up, but I'd like to get a decent set of speakers. If anybody could recommend some ideas, I sure would appreciate it! I don't necessarily need a subwoofer and 32 speakers i have to hang everywhere, i would prefer a desk set that isn't too big.

Thanks in advance and I hope everybody has a wonderful day!

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikey87144: Can I ask a dumb question? The set i have right now has a light on it, that I swear it a piece of material that has fallen from the sun. At night when i turn off all my lights, computer, etc, this annoying light shines almost as bright as the lamp in my room, which has led me to covering the light in duct tape. Does this speaker system have the same annoying light? lol

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hassun

If you want to fit it all on a desk (except maybe the subwoofer), you might be best served sticking to a 2.0 or a 2.1 speaker setup.

The next question is about the price range. Speakers have wildly varying prices so this is an important step.

This is an example of a very popular and generally well-liked 2.0 speaker setup: M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Active Studio Monitor Speakers

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sgreviewryan: It does have a light but it can be turned off by turning the dial all the way down. It's green though so it isn't too bright.

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: Thank you for your suggestion! Price really isn't a big issue. I just don't need anything massively loud, but i would like some crisp, clean sound. Like I said, I don't necessarily NEED a subwoofer and find loud bass to be annoying (am i getting old?! lol)

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@mikey87144: Agreed. They sound great and they can get really loud.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
    deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like people have been suggesting go for studio monitors instead of computer speakers, they start off more expensive but the quality is worth it if you can afford it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By monkeyking1969

Well, Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers are $99. You could find some that are cheaper, but these have 'solid rating' from 500+ people. These are all you need too, they have their own low-end bass intergarted. Just two speakers like you wanted, and no added stuff needed.

If you wanted to step up to a three piece system with a subwoofer, than a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System (Black) for $149 seems like a step up from the cheapest Bose, yet without spending $249 on the upgraded Bose.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Wirecutter is always a good source for these situations, though I wouldn't trust their opinion on TVs after their terrible panasonic plasma recommendation a while back.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I own both the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1's listed here and the M-Audio monitors.

I don't like loud bass, but I do like some bass. I have the subwoofer setting on the Klipsch's pretty much as low as they go. I prefer the Klipsch's over the M-Audio for gaming. With the monitors, I had to be real specific with the placement to get sound that I liked out of them.

On the flip side, I prefer the M-Audio's when hooked up to my Roland KR107 over anything else in that price range.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had these for nearly 10 years, and I've never felt the urge to replace them.

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like a couple of people on here have already mentioned the Klipsch Promedia 2.1, but I love mine. I had my tv/consoles running to them for a long time, as well as PC. They're great. I like a lot of bass, but I still keep the sub knob almost all the way down. I was really surprised at the amount of bass you get out of that sub. The desk speakers sound good, too, and have removable face covers. I leave them on, but to each his own.

I believe I got mine on sale at a Best Buy a long time ago for around $100, but usually they're around $150. If all you need is stereo sound, highly recommended.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.