Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Building a Gaming PC for the first time!

jeanm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 29

#1  Edited By jeanm

Hello! I will be building a PC from scratch for the first time ever and I want to able to run all the current games at high settings.

Here is my build so far:

Motherboard:  Asus P7P55 Deluxe Motherboard - LGA1156, Intel P55, ATX, Dual-Channel DDR3, Intel DMI, SLI, CrossFireX 
    Processor: Intel Core i7 860 Processor - 2.80GHz, LGA 1156, 8MB L3 Cache, Quad-Core, Lynnfield, Retail 
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 Tri Channel 6GB PC12800 DDR3 Memory - 1600MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048) 
    Hard Drive: Seagate ST31000528AS Barracuda 7200.12 Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200 rpm, 32MB, SATA-3G 
    Power Supply: C13-2503 :: Corsair TX750W 750-Watt Power Supply - ATX, 140mm Fan, SLI-Ready, SATA-Ready, 80Plus
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 275 Video Card - 896MB, PCI Express 2.0 x16, SLI Ready, (dual Link) Dual DVI
    Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

What do you guys think? Will I be able to run high settings? I haven't decided about the cooling system yet.     

Any suggestion will be nice!! =D

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

You don't need a Crossfire mobo unless you're planning on getting 2 ATI cards in the future.  Your Nvidia card won't benefit.  edit - oh I see it has SLI and crossfire.  Still probably spending more than you have to there...

Personally I'd get EVGA if you want a Nvidia card and I'd get a Western Digital HDD over Seagate.

jeanm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jeanm

What would be a good mobo for this build? I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff...

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Giantsquirrel
    @Diamond said:
    " You don't need a Crossfire mobo unless you're planning on getting 2 ATI cards in the future.  Your Nvidia card won't benefit.  Personally I'd get EVGA if you want a Nvidia card and I'd get a Western Digital HDD over Seagate. "
    That board is also SLI so he's good. Agreed on EVGA for the GPU, they've got the best customer service and also on the Western Digital. Try the WD Caviar Black 1TB.

? on the RAM, why not go for the Dominator 6GB? If you use Newegg's combo deals effectively you might be able to pick the RAM up for around $115, like I did! :)

You should be able to run high settings, depending on if you want to max out your resolution on your monitor. Do you know its optimal display?
    RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By RetroIce4
    @Giantsquirrel said:
    " @Diamond said:
    " You don't need a Crossfire mobo unless you're planning on getting 2 ATI cards in the future.  Your Nvidia card won't benefit.  Personally I'd get EVGA if you want a Nvidia card and I'd get a Western Digital HDD over Seagate. "
    That board is also SLI so he's good. Agreed on EVGA for the GPU, they've got the best customer service and also on the Western Digital. Try the WD Caviar Black 1TB.
    Yep
    jeanm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jeanm

Thanks for the suggestions!! 

What's a good EVGA card under $300? 

The highest resolution that can run the GTX 275 is  2500 X 1600. 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By KaosAngel

Make sure you watch Brad's video...it gives good advise.

jeanm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jeanm

LOL, yeah Brad's video is extremely helpful!! =p 

Ok how about this card:   EVGA GeForce GTX 275 Video Card - 1792MB, PCI Express 2.0 x16, SLI Ready, (dual link) Dual DVI, HDTV, HDMI (w/ Adapter)

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Akeldama
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Make sure you watch Brad's video...it gives good advise. "
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10  Edited By Geno

At this point in time, you shouldn't be getting an Nvidia Card. Ati's 5870 is the best bang for buck at the moment, and will be able to play all games at highest res with highest settings and maxed AA and AF. It also of course has DirectX11, which will provide tesselation in future games. From there you can then simply buy more 5870's for crossfire in the future when you need to upgrade. The other option is to wait for Nvidia's next line up, which is rumored to be significantly better than ATI this gen, but that could be at least 6 months away. 

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

On a serious note, why not get a cheap card now and wait for the epic Nvidia card coming out early 2010?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Geno
    @KaosAngel said:
    " On a serious note, why not get a cheap card now and wait for the epic Nvidia card coming out early 2010? "
    This is also what I've been telling others who are building a new PC at the moment. Either go with ATI now and crossfire for the next gen, or wait 6 months for nvidia's offering which is likely going to be significantly better. Most people can't wait that long though. 
    Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Giantsquirrel
    @JeanM said:
    " Thanks for the suggestions!!  What's a good EVGA card under $300?  The highest resolution that can run the GTX 275 is  2500 X 1600.  "
    I meant resolution of your monitor. You could try this card.
    jeanm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jeanm

Hmm...the 5870 is $400 which is bit over my budget.  

What would be a good cheap video card that can run games on high?

jeanm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jeanm

I've been a console player all of my life and this is the first gaming rig that I will build.  

Which one is better? ATI or Nvidia?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KaosAngel
    @JeanM: Nvidia
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Diamond
    @JeanM: 

ATI has higher end cards out right now, but I've preferred Nvidia for PC video cards.  A GTX275 will run most stuff just fine (Crysis for example will get some slowdown to ~20fps on maxed details at higher resolutions), and by the time there's worthwhile DX11 features in games the current DX11 cards will be a lot cheaper and more will be available.

Basically it depends on what kind of games you want to play right now, what features you want / need, your budget now and your future budget.
    jeanm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jeanm

I am definitely going to make two changes to my list: I will be going for the 1 TB Western Digital Black Caviar and the EVGA GTX275. 

I honestly don't have a high end monitor right now. All I have is a 32" Samsung that can only run up to 720p but I'm building this PC right now so that I don't have to upgrade for the next couple of years. You could argue that with a 720p LCD TV there's no need for all this high end stuff but I may buy a 1080p monitor sometime next year. As far as games go, I am really into Left 4 Dead on the PC and i'm kind of tired of having to play it on laptop at the lowest settings possible. 

What do you guys think?  

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KaosAngel

I say buy a 8800 or a 9800, and save the money you save on the card for the new card in 2010....the next gen cards are going to be a HUGE leap.  Trust me man, don't buy a card during a transition period.

jeanm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jeanm
    @KaosAngel: Can you please direct me to a good 9800 card?
    Atto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Atto

That ram won't work with that motherboard. You have to get Dual Channel ram for socket 1156 boards. Check out the Tech Report its a great site if you have any computer questions. They have a system building guide that should help you out and great people in the forums. 

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KaosAngel
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KaosAngel

Don't forget to get a mobo that supports DDR3 RAM, don't fuck yourself in the ass by getting a DDR2 mobo.

jeanm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jeanm
    @KaosAngel: It's a DDR3 mobo =)  
    @Atto: Thanks!! I already posted a thread there!! 

Thank you guys for all the help!!
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#25  Edited By citizenkane

Moving this to the PC forum.

Xelloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Xelloss
    @JeanM said:

" @KaosAngel: Can you please direct me to a good 9800 card? "

Don't gimp yourself stick with the GTX260-275.  I have 2 GTX 280s, a GTX260Core216 and a 9800GTX.  My 200 series cards outperform the 9800 by a lot both in stability and frame rate, I run all my games on high setting 4xAA.  I wouldn't jump at the new GTX 300 series, wait a good 3-6 months for the next set of gtx300s before buying, they will be probably cheaper and slightly better.  No game is going to come out in the mean time to make the GTX 275 cry especially if you are only demanding high settings. (Of course by all means go buy a GTX300 series if you can afford one just fine)

The system as a whole looks great, might want to see if the Corsair 850watt is like the same price of the 750 cause sometimes it is on Newegg.com, or is just 10 bucks more, this would be one change if you ever are considering SLI. 
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By torus
    @Geno said:
    " At this point in time, you shouldn't be getting an Nvidia Card. Ati's 5870 is the best bang for buck at the moment.  
     Flat out wrong. Buying the top of the line, flagship model is in NO WAY the best value. You pay a large price premium for getting that technology first (which will not be used in any major way for another several years). 

The best value right now is unquestionably the 4870 (1gb). TWO of those cards in Crossfire would still cost about a hundred dollars less than a single 5870, and the performance benefit between a single card of each is minimal.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Geno
    @torus said:

" @Geno said:

" At this point in time, you shouldn't be getting an Nvidia Card. Ati's 5870 is the best bang for buck at the moment.  

Flat out wrong. Buying the top of the line, flagship model is in NO WAY the best value. You pay a large price premium for getting that technology first (which will not be used in any major way for another several years).  The best value right now is unquestionably the 4870 (1gb). TWO of those cards in Crossfire would still cost about a hundred dollars less than a single 5870, and the performance benefit between a single card of each is minimal. "
    A single 5870 costs about $100 more than 2 4870 in CF, you're right, but a 5870 also has DX11 and future scalability. The performance benefit over a single 4870 is also not minimal, especially if the OP wishes to run in max graphics  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5870,2422.html. If he gets 4870 CF now, not only will he not have DX11 access (which, since it's out already is probably a good idea to get if you're buying a new comp to save you the hassle in the near future), but it will be harder for him to scale in the future, as an additional 4870 would not significantly help performance. Whereas if he gets a 5870, purchasing another 5870 to CF in the future will give him a much more significant performance boost, thus being the best bang for the buck long term. 
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By torus
    @Geno said:
    " @torus said:

" @Geno said:

Flat out wrong. Buying the top of the line, flagship model is in NO WAY the best value. You pay a large price premium for getting that technology first (which will not be used in any major way for another several years).  The best value right now is unquestionably the 4870 (1gb). TWO of those cards in Crossfire would still cost about a hundred dollars less than a single 5870, and the performance benefit between a single card of each is minimal. "
    A single 5870 costs about $100 more than 2 4870 in CF, you're right, but a 5870 also has DX11 and future scalability. The performance benefit over a single 4870 is also not minimal, especially if the OP wishes to run in max graphics  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5870,2422.html. If he gets 4870 CF now, not only will he not have DX11 access (which, since it's out already is probably a good idea to get if you're buying a new comp to save you the hassle in the near future), but it will be harder for him to scale in the future, as an additional 4870 would not significantly help performance. Whereas if he gets a 5870, purchasing another 5870 to CF in the future will give him a much more significant performance boost, thus being the best bang for the buck long term.  "
    This is a moot point, because you can now Crossfire two different card ranges. He could add a 5000 series card later on if he likes. So no.
    Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kblt

>Seagate
    >7200.12

NONONONONONONONONONONNONONNONO DON'T DO IT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T DO IT

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By raddevon

I have noticed a trend in PC game development. Since Crysis, it doesn't seem developers are keen on pushing the hardware envelope so much. They seem to have relaxed a bit. From the looks of your build, you should be able to max almost any current or upcoming PC game for the next couple of years. The flipside of that coin is that you could spend much less, upgrade a bit more frequently, and still achieve great performance if this game continues. I just noted in the Dragon Age forums that I am running that game in 1080p with all settings on high (except AA) on a very modest build. I have myself been in your shoes wanting to max everything and have the best possible build, but there is another way to still have fun and save some cash. Just throwing that out there.

TheMoneyGirls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheMoneyGirls

Fans. More fans the better.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @Diamond said:
    " You don't need a Crossfire mobo unless you're planning on getting 2 ATI cards in the future.  Your Nvidia card won't benefit.  edit - oh I see it has SLI and crossfire.  Still probably spending more than you have to there... Personally I'd get EVGA if you want a Nvidia card and I'd get a Western Digital HDD over Seagate. "
    Yes western Digital or Samsung are alright. And EVGA are good but I'd prefer an XFX just me, I've got a XFX HD4850 and it's treating me well XFX did good with there new ATI cards.
    monkeyroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By monkeyroach
    @Kblt said:
    "  >Seagate>7200.12  NONONONONONONONONONONNONONNONO DON'T DO IT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T DO IT "
    this 
    and 4870 are only 144$ just get that
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By torus

Also, enjoy your immediate obsolescence. The i9 chips are already in pre-production, and are over 50% faster than i7.

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Kblt
    @torus said:
    " Also, enjoy your immediate obsolescence. The i9 chips are already in pre-production, and are over 50% faster than i7. "
    Enjoy your 700€ pricetag.
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By torus
    @Kblt said:

" @torus said:

" Also, enjoy your immediate obsolescence. The i9 chips are already in pre-production, and are over 50% faster than i7. "
    Enjoy your 700€ pricetag. "
    I never said I was buying it. I personally believe that buying current hardware is not a logical decision, if one is concerned with cost. Especially right before the new version comes out (when the new one comes out, current hardware will drop in price.)
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By subject2change

Don't know if this build was ever done but first off;
    1. 1366 Motherboard, the 1156 is a more consumer grade i5/i7.
    2. if you made the switch to a 1366 X58 Motherboard, i7 920
    3. 1TB drive for your OS is dumb. You will most likely not fill that drive with Apps and Games and you wouldn't want to; get a smaller Operating System drive i'd say the 640WD Black and then get the 1TB WD Black for your storage of movies, music, whatever.
    4. You will most likely never exceed 1920x1200 so your resolution doesn't matter unless you spend the money on a 30" display.

lastly if you bought a 1366 Mobo you'd want to go triple channel RAM so 3, 6, 9 or 12 gigs of RAM with a triple channel kit. the 1156 only supports dual channel.

sjhujh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sjhujh
    @torus: I'd argue that it makes more sense to stay just behind the bleeding edge with PC hardware.  

As long as you keep on top of upgrade cycles your fine. Even if you don't it still makes sense. I bought my q6600 system just as they were starting to tail off, right before the 45nm cores came out, its held me in good stead so far and I also went for a 275, my system is still doing well. Sure it doesn't have DX 11 for the moment but crysis flies and anything DX10 can be run full whack,  

Also if the OP keeps waiting for the next new chip/card to come out he'll never build a PC... 

Jus' sayin'...
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By torus
    @sjhujh said:
    " @torus: I'd argue that it makes more sense to stay just behind the bleeding edge with PC hardware.   As long as you keep on top of upgrade cycles your fine. Even if you don't it still makes sense. I bought my q6600 system just as they were starting to tail off, right before the 45nm cores came out, its held me in good stead so far and I also went for a 275, my system is still doing well. Sure it doesn't have DX 11 for the moment but crysis flies and anything DX10 can be run full whack,   Also if the OP keeps waiting for the next new chip/card to come out he'll never build a PC...  Jus' sayin'... "
    Did you even read my post? 

@torus said:
    I believe that buying current hardware is not a logical decision, if one is concerned with cost. Especially right before the new version comes out (when the new one comes out, current hardware will drop in price.) "
    Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Kblt
    @sjhujh said:
    " @torus: I'd argue that it makes more sense to stay just behind the bleeding edge with PC hardware.   As long as you keep on top of upgrade cycles your fine. Even if you don't it still makes sense. I bought my q6600 system just as they were starting to tail off, right before the 45nm cores came out, its held me in good stead so far and I also went for a 275, my system is still doing well. Sure it doesn't have DX 11 for the moment but crysis flies and anything DX10 can be run full whack,   Also if the OP keeps waiting for the next new chip/card to come out he'll never build a PC...  Jus' sayin'... "
    i5 with radeon 5850 is one of the top bang for the buck rigs you can build.
    krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By krazy_kyle

PC is a waste of money. Mine is awesome, spent lots of money building it up but there are no games!!! none of my genre anyway. 
    Good luck on the build however!

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Kblt
    @krazy_kyle said:
    " >PC 
    >no games!!! "
    dontknowiftrol.jpg
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By Luke

Oh wow, they put both SLI and Crossfire on the same mobo now-a-days?  Interesting. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.