Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Can I get a bit of help with my build?

Monte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Monte

Hey this is the first time i'm building my own desktop. I've chosen all the components but I would feel better if I could get someone who has done this before to tell me if all my components should be fine together. I did some research on my own and have chosen the current parts based on my understanding of pc hardware.

If anyone has suggestions or comments that would be very helpful. Also, I have not yet decided on RAM so suggestions for that would be great as well.

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Sniper

GPU:  Radeon XFX 6970

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

MOBO: ASUS P8P67 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

Memory: ?

Hard Drive: HITACHI Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723020BLA642 (0f12115) 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 

Power Supply: XFX Black Edition 750W PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Azteck

Well. what's your budget like? That's a huge factor

Monte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Monte

Budget is $1200-$1500. I'm trying to keep it as low as possible while still being able to perform how I want it to.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By melcene

For RAM with that particular mobo, you're looking for DDR3 2200, 2000 or 1800Mhz RAM.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Azteck
    @CaLe: I should do that.. once I upgrade from stock cooling.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @monte:  i'm not an expert, but i've read my share about PC hardware and here's what i think

First of all, there aren't any crucial titles coming out anytime soon, except for Witcher 2. for games like Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Deus Ex 3, Arkham City, Mass Effect 3 and others, they're all coming out later this year.
    Which is why i recommend you wait, because i heard nVidia, Intel and AMD are all pushing out new lines of hardware by the end of the year, so you'll be able to buy even better parts that you listed, for less money

Secondly, i've seen people complain about the 6970, i'm not sure whether it was heating or something about the performance, but people suggested the GTX 570. or the 580 since you seem to have a good budget
    the i5 sandy bridge is great since the i7 is spoken of as an overkill
    for the memory, i think it's more than enough to go for a 4GB 1800MHz set, maybe the 2x2GB Patriot Viper II Sector 5 Dual Channel
    and personally, i always go for Western Digital with hard disk drives.
    your power supply sounds like a beast

It's really hard to become a PC expert, there are so many options and things to be aware of, so i'm still working on my knowledge :P i hope i helped one way or another
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Azteck
    @CaLe: I have the same case, but the cooler doesn't fit with my chipset (1155), I'll probably pick up a Noctua NH-U12P SE2, it amounts up to about the same in the end and is easier to get a hold of. I'll probably end up picking up two 120mm chassi fans for the side and top

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Azteck
    @CaLe: It's somewhat louder according to listings (~12db) but I have at least two friends vouching for it so it should be a-okay. Considering picking up an SSD too but eh, I'm fine with what I have.
    Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Franstone

You might want to buy a higher watt power supply in case you want to crossfire in the future.
    Not sure what XFX's reputation is with power supplies is.
    Sporting a Corsair PSU here.

I also go Western Digital for HDDs

DDR3 2200 RAM looks kinda expensive but you can get 4 gigs for now for $99 and add 4 later if ya want...
    Some choices at NewEgg.com below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006050%20600006143&IsNodeId=1&name=DDR3%202200%20%28PC3%2017600%29
    I have G.Skill RAM in my rig, got 1 bad stick once but was RMA'd without any issues.
    Kingston is fine, Crucial as well.
    vinnylegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By vinnylegs
    @CaLe said:

" @Azteck: Weird that it doesn't list comatibility with 1155 on that review but I'm using 1155 chipset too and it fits fine. That fan you linked should be fine though. "

1156 coolers are said to be compatible with 1155. That review was done a year before the 1155 chipset came out. Coolers which came out before 1155 wont be listed as compatible. However, If its 1156 cooler it will work for 1155. They are the same except 1155 chips were changed so they can't be installed into 1156 socket. For coolers it doesn't matter, for them its 1155=1156. This it what I understand from researching anyways...

Edit: As for the build I would go with a power supply by Corsair, Seasonic, or Antec. For HDD Western Digital Caviar Black. Corsair, Kingston, Crucial, or G-Skill ram. Don't skimp on the power supply.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Azteck
    @Vinnylegs said:
    " @CaLe said:

" @Azteck: Weird that it doesn't list comatibility with 1155 on that review but I'm using 1155 chipset too and it fits fine. That fan you linked should be fine though. "

1156 coolers are said to be compatible with 1155. That review was done a year before the 1155 chipset came out. Coolers which came out before 1155 wont be listed as compatible. However, If its 1156 cooler it will work for 1155. They are the same except 1155 chips were changed so they can't be installed into 1156 socket. For coolers it doesn't matter, for them its 1155=1156. This it what I understand from researching anyways...

Edit: As for the build I would go with a power supply by Corsair, Seasonic, or Antec. For HDD Western Digital Caviar Black. Corsair, Kingston, Crucial, or G-Skill ram. Don't skimp on the power supply.
    "
    Oh alright, cool.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Umm, stay away from the storm scout, it won't fit longer videocards. Not really confident about the hitachi hardrive either, you might want to go with a better brand as others stated. Memory, download from the asus site a memory compatbility list, you will know what works for sure. Like others said, not sure about xfx's quality in psu. About the cpu cooler, you can get away with stock cooling with the sandybridge, but buy whatever you want.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Bigandtasty
    Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @monte: That seems like a great system. I have a case suggestion, it is the new Silverstone Raven RV03. (I haven't read the review myself it was the first I could find for info.)

I have a friend who has just put his together and the cooling on this case is exceptional. He has: -
    Crosshair IV Formula Mobo
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 at stock (3.4ghz)
    Corsair A70 Heatsink
    8gb 1600mhz RAM
    2x XFX HD6970 GPUs
    2tb WD HDD
    XFX 850 watt (same line as the 1 you were talking about)

We set up 1 23" LED monitor as the main screen plus a second 23" LED monitor to monitor GPU-Z, Task Manager and Asus AI utility to keep an eye on GPU and CPU activity and temps.

We ran the setup with case fans on low speed (2x 140mm Penetrator fans at the bottom + 1x 120mm fan exhaust at the top). There were no fans on the A70 heatsink. We tested 3d Mark 2011, Cinebench, Heaven, Metro 2033, Crysis and Battlefield Bad Company 2 and never saw GPU temps exceed 80 degree or CPU temps exceed 60. The build was fiddly, but nearly all cables are concealed, hard drives are mounted out of sight behind the mobo backplate and the case is soooo quiet, it's unbelievable. I want 1 of these.
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By l4wd0g

I would check out  http://www.ibuypower.com/ They are have a sale on Friday the 13th. I  bought my last PC from them and it ran well.

TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @Bigandtasty said:

" @Vinnylegs:@HitmanAgent47: This XFX PSU is a rebadged Seasonic so it should be pretty solid. "

That was a really interesting article, thanks for that link, I was talking to a guy at a show recently and he said that the XFX were not good and a Corsair would be a better choice, but the article you posted says:

Today's Black Edition 750W ( P1-750B-CAG9) is produced in conjunction with none other than Seasonic, who was responsible for helping Corsair launch its first highly successful line of power supplies and XFX's own Black Edition 850W.

It was interesting because now I know that Corsair PSUs are not made by Corsair and it would appear that the XFX PSUs are essentially the same units with a different case and lower price tag.
    Monte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Monte
    @CaLe: That particular ram went back it stock so I decided to get it. Thanks.

Also, I dropped the HD in favor of this one:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148506

I'm pretty much set except for the monitor. I know that a monitor that fits this build usually costs around $400-$500 but does anyone know of any good monitors for around $300?
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Barrock

DId you already order everything?

If not I'd bump the i5 up to a 2500k. Allows you to overclock. Also, you might look at the Pro version of your motherboard. 
    Monte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Monte
    @Barrock: Yeah I did. I dont think I'm gonna overclock anyway and I believe I couldn't find the pro motherboard currently.

I tried to save on things like that so I could spend that money elsewhere.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @monte:I can tell you a seagate is worst than a hitachi drive, you sure make bad choices. Go for western digital or samsung, but stay away from seagate or hitachi.

Also I don't think that videocard might fit your pc case, 
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163180&cm_re=silverstone_case-_-11-163-180-_-Product

Also for a monitor, maybe a ips dell or something. Then again it's your money, don't say your hardrive didn't work or your videocard didn't fit because hitman already told you so.

Edit: oh wait, you already ordered? Oh well, good luck with compatibility and everything working. Seagate has a high rate for failure.
    Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#21  Edited By Kidavenger

I have the storm scout case, it is really short on space for larger video cards, but the storm sniper case looks to be significantly larger and should have plenty of room.

vinnylegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By vinnylegs
    @monte said:
    " @CaLe: That particular ram went back it stock so I decided to get it. Thanks.

Also, I dropped the HD in favor of this one:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148506

I'm pretty much set except for the monitor. I know that a monitor that fits this build usually costs around $400-$500 but does anyone know of any good monitors for around $300?
    "

I would recommend this hard drive:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533&cm_re=western_digital_caviar_black-_-22-136-533-_-Product, you will save money and get better quality.
    Monte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Monte
    @HitmanAgent47: The videocard fits. Its not a storm scout, its a storm sniper. Its almost as big as the haf x. I've had the case for a few months now so that can't change.

I chose this monitor:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236091 I believe you recommended it in another thread.

Also, my oder has not yet been processed so I can still change the HD. Any Suggestions?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @monte: Well either western digital or samsung 2 gig black hardrive. Look most of these 2 gig hardrives fails easily compared to the terrabyte version. Must be something to do with the platter, but I don't know.

About the pc case, then maybe I got it mixed up. Yeah now I remember what the storm sniper looks like, it's like blu and black, with room for alot of side fans with a mesh thing.

Why not do what I did? Buy a SSD drive, that's where you install the operating system. Then for your second hardrive, get WD black drive that's 1tb, that's for games and stuff. Then you can recycle some old pc hardrive you have for storage. I don't trust those 2 TB hardrives enough. That's my advice anyways, for the same price, you can get this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441&cm_re=crucial_ssd-_-20-148-441-_-Product

Then you can add another one of these drives. Sure some of them are dead on arrival, but if you luck out, you will have a decent hardrive. Seagate barracuda is sure to fail in a few months, the worst hardrive in the world.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533&cm_re=wd_1tb_black-_-22-136-533-_-Product

or to save money get something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&cm_re=samsung_1tb-_-22-152-185-_-Product

Of course you can just get a WD black 2tb hardrive instead, but then again, if it's not dead on arrival and it lasted a few months, it should work for a few years no problem considering you keep it cooled with fans.

Also I don't remember recommending that particular monitor, maybe you should go with something that's LED.
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @HitmanAgent47: The increase in HDD capacities has not come as a result of some new technology, the same technology that goes in to making a 1tb drive is used to make the 2tb drives, all that has changed is the way the storage space is used, not instead of having drives with sector sizes of 512 bytes they have started making drives with sector sizes of 4096 bytes. Tom's hardware explains it better.

Here's quote:

A larger sector size results in higher net capacities because it decreases the amount of ECC data and the inter-sector margins. WD says that going from 512 bytes to 4KB sector size results in a net capacity increase of 7 to 11 percent. ECC efficiency could also increase, as one long ECC code requires less computation than multiple small chunks.

But I would love to see where you got your information from, as you know I will need to buy a replacement hard drive to replace my  2 year old 1tb drives pretty soon so some links could help me avoid a costly mistake.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @TheKeyboardDemon: Well maybe I thought that conclusion from 2TB green drives, I noticed alot of them breaks down easily. But I could be wrong about 2tb black drives. I see alot of decent reviews for the sata 2 versions on newegg, but the sata 3 version seems to have a very low score. That's why I am not fully recommending it. Maybe I was thinking about the 2tb green drives or something. It's something I need to research on, I don't own a 2TB hardrive, but maybe the black version is okay, but stay away from the green drives. That's just common knowledge for alot of us, but then alot of ppl doesn't buy 2tb black hardrives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136792&cm_re=western_digital_2tb-_-22-136-792-_-Product

Well, if I am wrong about it, then still to the op, the other hardrives that are sata 2 seems to be okay review wise. You can take a gamble if you want to.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148506
     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148636

Well normally the advice I give to ppl on the forum is to stay away from seagate barracuda stuff. I usually tell them to get a western digital hardrive or a samsung hardrive. Then again seeing the low reviews on that wd black 2tb, I am hesitant to recommend that. The op can do whatever he wants, maybe that seagate might work and won't fail in a few months. But that's my advice, you can accept it or disregard it. All I know is, alot of hardrives fails, no company is immuned to dead on arrival stuff. If someone knows more about 2tb drives, feel free to post about it. I just own a ssd drive and several 1tb drives. Just go on newegg and see the percentage of 1 star reviews and compare it. That's the best bet.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Sorry, I don't have enough experience with 2tb hardrives and my advice about problems applies mostly to green drives. Since wd has bad reviews, maybe the hitachi or seagate one is okay for 2tb. I never ran those brands before, I usually give the same advice, but I mostly only recommend SSD drives or 1tb hardrives, not 2tb.

But for the monitor, maybe you should go with an asus led instead. It just takes a bit of calibration to deal with the high contrast. I can help the op with this, I have helped ppl with calibration before. This monitor is also 27" and it's an led made by the same company as you posted. I figure if you were willing to spend this much, that would be a good choice. It's bigger than most monitors too and the reviews seems to be overall positive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236103&cm_re=asus_led-_-24-236-103-_-Product

------------------------------------------------------
    edit: found a graph on failure rates or returned hardrive, which probally means failure. My advice is true of the 1tb hardrives, but things are different with 2tb, WD black isn't that reliable for that. Then maybe you can get whatever you want, stay away from WD black for 2tb drives, but for 1tb, get WD. At least my hitachi deskstar advice is accurate, they are the second highest returned hardrive for the 2tb version. WD black is the second least returned hardrive for the 1tb hardrives. Then again maybe ppl didn't return maxtor because it's not a popular brand.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/810-6/taux-pannes-composants.html

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.