Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Codec Question (Jap/Chinese Font)

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vinchenzo

I keep getting blank squares whenever I see Japanese or Chinese or anything with symbols. I recently clean installed to Windows 7 and before Windows 7 I had no problems. I'm sure I'm missing a codec or something. Can you provide any help?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

You talking about subtitles in a video or just web browsing?

Either way you'll have to install support for East Asian languages in Windows.  Probably best to look it up on Google I don't know off the top of my head but I've done it many times.  That should work for 95% of your potential uses.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo
    @Diamond: Shouldn't Windows 7 have it? I'm not if I installed anything special when I first used my laptop when I still had Vista.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Diamond
    @Vinchenzo: Probably not, I'm pretty sure I had to install support for East Asian languages in Vista...

Are you talking websites?  Make sure your character encoding settings are correct in your web browser.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By toowalrus
    @Vinchenzo:
    I know that when I clean instal my OS, the language packs are available as optional updates. I haven't used Windows 7 yet, but I assume there's a windows update feature which should let you view available updates, and the language packs should be among them. That's how it was in Vista, anyway.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vinchenzo
    @Diamond: On Skype is the main place I'm noticing this, whereas I've had no previous issues with Skype.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diamond
    @Vinchenzo: Don't know what to say about Skype, never used it myself.  Are the languages showing up fine here? ヴィンチェンゾ
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vinchenzo
    @Diamond: Yes I can read that. Perhaps it's just a Skype issue, maybe a setting that I had changed before that is different now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.