Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Cpu fan fail, need help

goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By goodwood

Awhile back I installed a aftermarket cpu fan and heatsink but now the fan has stopped working and my computer wont POST. This also happened about a month ago and the fan started working again a day later. Should I get a new 120cm fan or do you guys have any ideas on what it could be?

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By jack_daniels

If you have a fan failure you will need a new one. Just keep your fingers crossed its not your mobo with a dead fan socket.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

You can't go without that fan, so go ahead and get a replacement. If it's a motherboard issue though, that's going to be a bit more costly and a bit more of a pain to replace.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @goodwood said:
    " Awhile back I installed a aftermarket cpu fan and heatsink but now the fan has stopped working and my computer wont POST. This also happened about a month ago and the fan started working again a day later. Should I get a new 120cm fan or do you guys have any ideas on what it could be? "
    Just try a new fan first, if it still doesnt work. Its your mobo and good luck with that ;)
    goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By goodwood
    @Chaser324: My computer still turns on and boots, it just wont POST because it does not recognize a cpu fan. I think I will just order a new 3 pin fan and hope that that will fix it .
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By captain_clayman
    @Jack_Daniels said:
    " If you have a fan failure you will need a new one. Just keep your fingers crossed its not your mobo with a dead fan socket. "
    yeah pray that it's not a busted mobo 
    but yeah just buy a new fan and hope for the best
    goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By goodwood

well I have checked the capacitors and they are not busted and looked around cant tell if anything else is wrong with the mobo.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @goodwood: 
    Even though your PC might turn on, it isn't booting if it doesn't get past POST (Power On Self Test) since that's typically the first step in the boot process. You need that fan for it to progress past there as you've already found out. Even if it did get past POST without the fan though, it wouldn't be a great idea to run your PC like that. You need that fan to keep your CPU's temperature at a decent level, especially if you're overclocking it at all (which if you have an aftermarket heatsink, I would think that you are).
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @goodwood said:
    " Awhile back I installed a aftermarket cpu fan and heatsink but now the fan has stopped working and my computer wont POST. This also happened about a month ago and the fan started working again a day later. Should I get a new 120cm fan or do you guys have any ideas on what it could be? "
    This is normal.  Just get a replacement fan with a 3pin header.  The system won't POST because the fan isn't getting to at least 1000RPM and/or is not reporting a Voltage read (VDM) back to the 3rd pin.
    FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By FartyMcNarly

I just jizz on my computer to keep it cool and sexy.

goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By goodwood
    @Chaser324:
    @SeriouslyNow:  ya im going to try and clean the fan, if that doesnt work then will buy a new one. The fan that failed was sleave bearing, does anyone have a preference fro fan type like ball bearing or sleave or anything else?
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @goodwood: 

I have no preference but it really depends on the cooler.  If you have some rp7 spray that on the rear housing of the fan. Sounds like you have a dust problem.  Do you regularly clean you filters and is the case on the floor?
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Coombs
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I also don't really have a preference as far as fans go, but looking on NewEgg, I can actually only find one CPU fan without a heatsink so you may end up just having to buy an entirely new heatsink with a fan. Definitely try cleaning out the dust to see if that fixes the issue, and try to proactively clean it out in the future to make sure dust doesn't cause any issues.

goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By goodwood
    @Coombs: the V10 is a fucking beast I dont have room in my tower for that thing
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By NoXious
    @goodwood:
    Reckon you're better of going for watercooling if you need a V10 for cooling your system to begin with :-P
    goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By goodwood
    @SeriouslyNow:  what is rp7 is that just an air canister? and ya my tower sits on the ground.
    @NoXious: I dont think I will need watercooling, just a new fan.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By AndrewB

Pretty much any fan should do. If you want some personal suggestions, I'd go with one of these. Good cooling and very quiet. I'd suggest looking around for a better price, though. They usually don't drop much lower, but for around between $12 and $15, it would be worth it. Like I said, though, pretty much anything will suffice, especially since you need it asap.

Anyway, even if it happens to be that the fan header itself is busted, all you'd need to do is use a different one or, if you don't have one to spare, you can buy a 3pin fan to 4pin molex adapter and hook it directly to your power supply. That means it'll be running 100% all the time, but the only problem with that would be noise.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @goodwood said:
    " @SeriouslyNow:  what is rp7 is that just an air canister? and ya my tower sits on the ground. "
    No RP7 is a lubricant and anti corrosion spray.  Also get that case off the floor, it's picking up dust, lint and hair and it's being dragged into the case.  This is why your fan is cactus mcjactus.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jmrwacko

Just a FYI, as long as you keep your CPU at idle and have decent air flow, you can keep your computer on long enough to access BIOS and make any changes without damaging your CPU. My Phenom II idles at like 65 degrees Celsius, which is just above the safe range. But I doubt it's anything less than your fan being broken, so buy a new one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.