Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Good free backup program?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Jayge_

I got a new external hard drive recently and I'm attempting to make a total backup of the files on my old PC. I'm not really interested in sorting out all of the crap and keeping what I need, I would rather just get it all done in one go. I went looking for some free backup programs- the first one I tried was Bonkey, which sucks for several reasons, the first of which being a memory transfer limit. Anyway, after that, I went and downloaded Areca on someone else's recommendation, and while that was very slow, it looked like it was completing the backup as I wanted. Unfortunately, it simply created mimics of every single file on my damn computer, with the filenames and correct folder nestings and whatnot, except they weren't actual *files*.

I'm hoping that the third time's the charm, so GiantBomb, I put it to you- show me your best free backup programs that actually work! (Or, does anyone know how to get Areca to make an actual total backup?) I'm totally prepared to look like an idiot if there was some easy thing or switch that I overlooked in my haste. Thank you in advance, to those who can help.
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Luke

Windows 7 -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> Backup and Restore -> Set up backup 

OR

Press [Windows Key] + Type "backup" (without the quotes) 

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_
    @Luke said:
    " Windows 7 -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> Backup and Restore -> Set up backup  ORPress [Windows Key] + Type "backup" (without the quotes)  "
    That would work if this old clunker had windows 7 installed, but unfortunately, that is not the case. I do have a spare disk for it lying around though. If I install Win7 over this XP machine, will it preserve my files (including saved browser passwords and all that crap)?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.