Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Graphics card questions (confused, plz help).

Collecteddust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Collecteddust
    I am looking into upgrading my graphics card and I am totally confused.  I am currently using an nvidia 8500 GT card with 3GB of ram and an AMD 9500 Quad core processor.  I am playing Crysis on low setting so I started to look online to see how much it would cost me to go to high settings.

After doing some research (and talking to people) I decided that a 8800 GT would be the cheapest way to get decent results.  I started to look online to get a card and found out that there are many different versions of the geForce 8800 GT graphics card (ranging in price from $130-$300).  I was expecting to pay around $200, but how do I know that I am getting the right version?  And how is it that so many different companies are selling the same card?

Needless to say I am confused, I have never upgraded a PC (been a counsel gamer my whole life), and for some reason I thought that there was only one 8800GT card.

So which one should I get?  Any help would be very appreciated.
    sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By sculsoldi3r

For 8800gt get an eVGA, right now there around $120-170. But if you want something a little bit better and same price. Get a HD4850. 

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By OGCartman

Hey, well i remember when i was confused like you but i will share what i know =P

$120 - 8800 GT
    $150 - 8800 GTS
    $180 - HD 4850 (by far the best!)

I would say, get the HD 4850, it is almost as good as the 9800 GTX (only a couple FPS dif) and is $150 cheaper.

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By calf_exercises

yes you should deffinatly get the 4850, great card for the price.

MojondeVACA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MojondeVACA

Get an HD4870.

quadomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By quadomatic

If you can pay $140, wait for a deal on the HD4850 and get that.

Also, most all versions of a given card are pretty much the same. They'll vary by cooler and amount of memory, but they're still the same.

albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By albaker

The 4850 runs Crysis pretty well if that's your main focus, plus it is cheap for a card that good , if you want something cheaper you could get the 8800GT which also runs crysis decently but just not as good as the 4850 which is by far the best card for the price

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By StressedOutCat

if you do want to get an nvidia 8800GT try to get one that is dual slot cooled.. [ cause nvidia cards always get very hot... ]
    if you cant .. like everyone in here I would suggest you get a ATI 4850.. that's an overall better card.

quadomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By quadomatic
    StressedOutCat said:
    "if you do want to get an nvidia 8800GT try to get one that is dual slot cooled.. [ cause nvidia cards always get very hot... ]
    if you cant .. like everyone in here I would suggest you get a ATI 4850.. that's an overall better card."

Just so u kno, the HD4850 has a few heat issues as well...sadly most all HD4850s only come in single slot cooling styles.
    StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By StressedOutCat
    quadomatic said:
    "StressedOutCat said:
    "if you do want to get an nvidia 8800GT try to get one that is dual slot cooled.. [ cause nvidia cards always get very hot... ]
    if you cant .. like everyone in here I would suggest you get a ATI 4850.. that's an overall better card."

Just so u kno, the HD4850 has a few heat issues as well...sadly most all HD4850s only come in single slot cooling styles."
    yea was reading about that... figured it was a driver issue...but still doubt they make that much heat compared to the 8800gt.. since the chip is smaller
    prodromus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By prodromus

Yeah, the 4850 is a better deal right now- not much more expensive and considerably more powerful.

For future reference, the reason there are so many different 8800GT cards is that Nvidia makes the graphics chip on the card and releases references specs for the card.  (So any card you buy will at minimum be as good as Nvidia's reference specs in theory) However, Nvidia doesn't actually manufacture the cards, other companies (like EVGA, XFX, ASUS, etc) buy their chips and make the actual cards.  Sometimes these companies make changes over the reference specs such as overclocking them, or adding a bigger heatsink/fan.  This same process holds true for ATI cards as well.  Not all brands are the same price or the same quality.

y0y0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By y0y0

There IS NO heat issue with the HD 4850, all that is happening is the Fans speed is defaulted to low and can be changed manually.

albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By albaker

If you can spend a few extra dollars, I suggest you get the 9800GTX+ which is $199 and beats the 4850 in every game, remember I said the (PLUS) version not the normal 9800GTX

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By VACkillers

just what albaker said... if your going to get the HD 4850, you just might aswell spend the extra 10 bucks from newegg.com and go with the 9800GTX+.

Either 8800GT will be good enough i think really... so long as you get the 8800s that have an onboard memory of 512RAM and not the 325MB version...

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Hamz
    markop2003 said:
    "the HD4850 is the best price/performance you can get at the moment"
    Or if the budget extends to it the 4870 is better but definately at the moment ATI have the two best cards for price and performance. Nvidia dropped the ball by releasing some overpriced cards.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.