Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

GTX TITAN Z

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

A $3000 graphics card. Its a Dual GPU card designed specifically for supercomputing and having 3 of these in your system will give you the same amount of power that is currently running the Google Brain. Problem is, as is with all dual GPU cards, you are STILL restricted on the SLI element because it does have 2 GPUs on it so it will only be able to run as good as the driver lets it. Now this is catered for super computers not the average-every-day-run-of-the-mill gamer hence why its an absolute monster price tag but just was reading newegg's article on this thing with their brand new site and there it mentioned its more designed to run on the future 5K resolution monitors. ummmm what? does anyone else have any news on that? 4k is like 3-4 years away from being even REMOTELY regulated and we're already talking about 5k screens? don't you think we need to reach 4k first before we go beyond that?

Anyway here is the article: http://gamecrate.newegg.com/geforce-gtx-titan-z-announced/

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@vackillers: This 4K-5K non sense is just stupid. The costs to run that resolution on a TV screen for no benefit on TVs under 45 inches and very little benefit for TVs under 65 inches means 4K won't be part of console gaming in the next 10 years at least. By that time we will be in a streaming age and streaming at 4K is also almost impossible for almost no benefit. So yeah, you might be able to do 4K on a handful of games only on PC but looking at the potential market, the hardest of hardcore PC master race, it's a tiny number of people so I don't see the tech taking off in any meaningful way.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I wish TVs and monitors would build in a real game-mode. Direct bit access to a standardized framebuffer. 4k seems like mostly nonsense to me. 1080 at 6-8ft on a 50 inch screen is about as good as my eyes allow.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pixels will be a thing of the past!!! you'll need a fuckin microscope to see dem jaggies!!!

(still need to upgrade my hd6850 :'( )

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By VACkillers

yeah I'm not personally buying into 4k at all, I have absolutely no idea how they can charge as much as a car for a fucking 4k monitor or 4k television, they need to get their priority's straight coz no one is going fork out the sort of money 4k is at, never lone 5k down the road and as @pyrodactyl rightly pointed out, streaming at that will be impossible and absolutely pointless on anything lower then 50" when it comes to TVs. I think its kool to have these technologies, 3 Grand is ridiculous though, AMDs competitor for this card is $4000 and its only half as good. Its got some power without a doubt i just thought it was completely ridiculous to start talking about 5k when we don't even have 4k yet.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By bybeach

I could not believe what I saw when I read about the Titan Z. I know people have their arguements about the practicalities of performance and such, pro and con. But who the f**k would spend three thousand on a video card ? In fact, what fool would even buy a Titan Black? (Bybeach hides his computer from view while bragging on about his good common sense to the internet)

Yes, I know it is a single card solution besides being the most powerful handgun in the world but....

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it weird that I'm still perfectly cool with my 7950? Maybe I'm cheap or I haven't "seen the light" of a higher resolution display that requires more horsepower.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Is it weird that I'm still perfectly cool with my 7950? Maybe I'm cheap or I haven't "seen the light" of a higher resolution display that requires more horsepower.

That card is only a generation old and was in on the high end of the GPU spectrum. It's still a great performing card.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah I'm not personally buying into 4k at all, I have absolutely no idea how they can charge as much as a car for a fucking 4k monitor.

When HDTVs first became a consumer level thing, they were crazy expensive. 720p/1080i Plasma TVs were 10 grand. DLP TVs were the budget sets at 5-7k. They'll go down in price eventually to where people are trampling themselves to death to get a $99 50" 4k Sorny Trineetron on Black Friday.

No way. The 7950 is still a great card and has huge overclocking headroom as well. Unless you're going to go 1440 or multiple monitor, you probably will be cool with your 7950 for a while to come.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1080p at 60 FPS is good enough for me. My Asus GTX 690 will be fine.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Sooty

I will buy cards like these when I am rich. I will buy a few for my computer and hang one from my neck. It will be like Flavor Flav without the time telling element.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@bybeach said:

I could not believe what I saw when I read about the Titan Z. I know people have their arguements about the practicalities of performance and such, pro and con. But who the f**k would spend three thousand on a video card ? In fact, what fool would even buy a Titan Black? (Bybeach hides his computer from view while bragging on about his good common sense to the internet)

Yes, I know it is a single card solution besides being the most powerful handgun in the world but....

It's not for the average consumer. This is like for people that want to render pixar quality CGI movies and things like that. This is not meant as a hobby product, but for people that need a supercomputing solution for professional applications.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A ridiculous high-end productivity tool has been released. Now's the perfect time to criticize it for impracticality.

As for 4K/5K regulation, I'm pretty sure they're just saying it as a short-hand for ~5000 lines, not for any kind of standard understanding of what 5K means.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@bybeach said:

It's not for the average consumer. This is like for people that want to render pixar quality CGI movies and things like that. This is not meant as a hobby product, but for people that need a supercomputing solution for professional applications.

Exactly. In the professional environment, time is a precious resource, and if these could save a company money in the long run by reducing computation time then it is easily worth it.

It's like how people always complain about Mac Pros (or any other workstation PC, I'm just using that as an example) being expensive. They are designed and generally used for professional work, and if they are fast enough (for example, if they can encode video significantly faster or render faster, stuff like that) they can usually pay for themselves in time saved since they allow the person using them to be more productive with their time.

darksouls2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overpriced in my opinion...

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@darksouls2: it's not targeted towards you, or gamers at all. This is professional grade tech

Bombanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bombanana

This stuff is professional equipment, not specifically made for @ home gaming, not even with high end, enthusiast gaming in mind. I mean sure, you can go for it if you have the cash and enjoy doing that but i don´t believe that it would really enhance the quality of your gaming experience.

I have a 780ti and a Samsung 9 series 1440p monitor - It´s all i need for gaming. Even more than i need actually. I sometimes don´t even play beyond 1080p eventhough i could. At 1440p text can become tiny on a 27" monitor. I still can´t see myself going 4K...like - ever. There´s just no need for that at all.

The industry wants to sell us the newest tech all the time. Do you really need it? Is more horsepower and owning the best stuff you can buy for your money really also buying you a superior gaming experience? I doubt it.

Blomakrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just the Large Hadron Collider in Cern all over again! I can't afford these things!! Why even make them?

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
    SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

I will buy cards like these when I am rich. I will buy a few for my computer and hang one from my neck. It will be like Flavor Flav without the time telling element.

The dream.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A $3000 graphics card. Its a Dual GPU card designed specifically for supercomputing and having 3 of these in your system will give you the same amount of power that is currently running the Google Brain. Problem is, as is with all dual GPU cards, you are STILL restricted on the SLI element because it does have 2 GPUs on it so it will only be able to run as good as the driver lets it. Now this is catered for super computers not the average-every-day-run-of-the-mill gamer hence why its an absolute monster price tag but just was reading newegg's article on this thing with their brand new site and there it mentioned its more designed to run on the future 5K resolution monitors. ummmm what? does anyone else have any news on that? 4k is like 3-4 years away from being even REMOTELY regulated and we're already talking about 5k screens? don't you think we need to reach 4k first before we go beyond that?

Anyway here is the article: http://gamecrate.newegg.com/geforce-gtx-titan-z-announced/

5k monitors?

Are you sure this isn't referencing a triple monitor setup?

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Ravelle

4K is probably just a gimmick to boost television sales again, like 3D was.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I figure I'll be half way through this generation before I get a 4K HDTV. I'm trying to be on an every eight years cycle for screens - 2008, 2016, 2024. I have never heard of 5K, if you ask me, it sounds like it was made up to one up some other manufacture. Doesn't the progression go - 2K, 4K, 8K? Video is set by international standards boards of some kind, and I would assume there is not a 5K standard at all.

I am thinking by late 2016, I could buy a 46" to 50" 4K HDTV for $1,200. The use I see for it is, as with my current HDTV, for games. I don't watch that much TV, just some Netflix and an occasional BluRay, so my main use is gaming. And, gaming seem to be one of the few things still pushing upward generation after generation, so getting a better screen can't hurt I'll probably need a new TV anyway after eight years.

Bombanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bombanana

@monkeyking1969: For a TV of this size 4K can make sense, for a single Monitor PC setup, i don´t think so and i doubt that it ever will. Like you i rarely watch TV or movies so i switched from a 1080p TV to a PC setup with a 27" 1440 p screen and it was the best gaming decision i have made in a while. I also have a WiiU hooked to the (awesome!) Monitor and tbh, at the moment, i really don´t feel like i will need anything else for the next couple of years. 4K really only makes sense on 46" screens and up. I do not plan to buy a screen this big in this lifetime :P

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bybeach

@ll_exile_ll:

Do appreciate and take in what you are saying, and Ben_H who extended the train of thought. I was being a bit facetious (for an implied reason) if you read between my lines, but I always appreciate understanding something better than I did.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Labeling this card as "Titan" is an odd move by nVidia, as it shares the brand with a line of super high end gaming-grade GPUs. Generally GPU manufacturers will label their computing boards something completely different to avoid such confusion.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this comes with an update to the SLI drivers that make it work with 8 GPUs so you could have 4 of these things.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr said:

@vackillers said:

5k monitors?

Actually no I'm not sure, it could very well be talking about triple monitor setups though it wasn't specified and quite sure was talking about 5k as one display.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr said:

@vackillers said:

5k monitors?

Actually no I'm not sure, it could very well be talking about triple monitor setups though it wasn't specified and quite sure was talking about 5k as one display.

I feel like I could sound short sighted saying this (as any technology at the time often feels like it's as good as it needs to be). 5K on a single monitor seems like it would be super overkill. Unless we are moving to 30 inch monitors or something, that many pixels in such a small area seems like diminishing returns.

I dunno, i'm actually pretty curious at what level a resolution makes no noticeable difference at say, 24 inches.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.