Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I am going to add RAM to my computer, but....

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By demontium

I don't know how much can fit into each slot nor what type it can hold. 

www.crucial.com said:  Each memory slot can hold DDR3 PC3-10600,DDR3 PC3-8500,DDR3 PC3-12800 with a maximum of 4GB per slot.* 

Is this true? My motheboard is ASUS P6T - SE. I have an ibuypower computer. 

I have 6GB of DDR3 DRAM at the moment, and desire 8GB.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
    deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You running a render farm? 

Do you have 2GB x 3...? If so, just buy another 2GB of the same type that you already own.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ajamafalous

I have a P6T (not SE) and mine's Triple Channel.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By demontium
    @Keenblaze said:
    " You running a render farm?   Do you have 2GB x 3...? If so, just buy another 2GB of the same type that you already own. "
    I know how much I need to get, but don't know if that type is correct.... is it? 

If so I have 3GB x 2 so i would need one 2GB card. 

And Win 7 takes up 2 gigs of ram, so I am fixing that.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
    deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you not just open the case and look at what you already own and buy another of the same? That would probably be the easiest thing to do.

lhaymehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lhaymehr
    @demontium said:
     "Win 7 takes up 2 gigs of ram, so I am fixing that. "

Win7 takes anything you give it. if you installed 64 gigs, sooner or later it would use it all up. It's cache, designed to be used up.  6 gigs is enough, save your money.
    krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By krazy_kyle
    @demontium:

To be honest you have enough RAM  and most games run just fine on 2GB. If I were you I would save your money for when you REALLY need an upgrade, such as a new graphics card which you will most likely need in the future
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By sodiumCyclops

6 is fine unless your running 1000 programs at once or trying to render the universe.

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By ectoplasma
    @lhaymehr said:

" @demontium said:

Win7 takes anything you give it. if you installed 64 gigs, sooner or later it would use it all up. It's cache, designed to be used up.  6 gigs is enough, save your money. "  
    qft. 

edit: The chance that u really need 2 gigs of more ram is made much slimmer by the fact that you ask how to do it on a games forum. If you would need it you would probably know how to do it or ask on a graphics design forum ;).
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By korwin

6 is more than enough unless your doing heavy video editing or high level photoshop (or running VM's I guess, but I doubt you are).  

Additionally at this point in order to retain your existing level of memory bandwidth you would need to move to a 12gb configuration, you would also need to track down an identical triple channel kit to your existing set of DIMMS to ensure full compatability.

Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kbm600
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " 6 is fine unless your running 1000 programs at once or trying to render the universe. "
    Render the Universe is the name of my new artsy film. 

When you order RAM for a computer, does it usually contain instructions for how to install it?
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Marz

yah what people said above, unless your a hardcore photoshop editor or video editor you won't be using up all that ram yet.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By korwin
    @Kbm600: 
    Installation guides are in the motherboard manuals, but the whole process is pretty idiot proof.  It only goes in one way and the slots are color coded to the channels.

Not like the good old days where you had to fuck around with jumpers and dip switches to adjust your voltages :P
    apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By apoptosis61
    @lhaymehr said:
    " @demontium said:
    Win7 takes anything you give it. if you installed 64 gigs, sooner or later it would use it all up. It's cache, designed to be used up.  6 gigs is enough, save your money. "
    i agree 6 giga is enough
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Meowshi

If he's looking to upgrade, then there's obviously something wrong. 

It's probably not his RAM, but something else.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By emkeighcameron

RAM only upgrades on Tuesdays, so don't install any new pieces unless it's on Tuesday. If it's raining outside, don't do it (even if it's Tuesday) because that makes the RAM less active when you first plug it in and it will never be able to perform at 100%.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Crucial is usually very good at telling you the right information on your motherboards memory capabilities.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By demontium

I just wanted to know how much each slot could take. LIke if it can handle a 4 gb RAM. I want more RAM because I used to be able to run all my games at max, but some new ones are struggling. A 4 gb upgrade could help.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Rockdalf
    @demontium said:
    " I just wanted to know how much each slot could take. LIke if it can handle a 4 gb RAM. I want more RAM because I used to be able to run all my games at max, but some new ones are struggling. A 4 gb upgrade could help. "
    What's your graphics card?
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By demontium
    @Rockdalf said:
    " @demontium said:
    " I just wanted to know how much each slot could take. LIke if it can handle a 4 gb RAM. I want more RAM because I used to be able to run all my games at max, but some new ones are struggling. A 4 gb upgrade could help. "
    What's your graphics card? "
    nvidia gtx 285
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By AndrewB

Are you sure you have 2 3GB sticks, or is it 3 2GB sticks? The P6T is supposed to be running in triple channel. If it isn't, you're going to want to be buying a third stick of 3GB in whatever speed matches your current setup, which you should be able to tell from looking at the heatsinks on your RAM or maybe through the BIOS.

Windows 7 makes use of all installed RAM, but it's also good at giving up control of it to a memory-intensive program. There's also diminishing returns on how much RAM you have based on what you're using the system for, and for the typical user, 6GB at the moment is plenty.

Anyway, a good idea is to look up the specs of your board on a site like Newegg (here)

Memory Standard: DDR3 2000(O.C.)*/1866(O.C.)*/1800(O.C.)*/1600(O.C.)/1 333/1066. Basically that means you'll probably have DDR 1333 or 1066 memory in there if the thing isn't pre-overclocked from iBuyPower (that's a very loose guess, so you're going to want to confirm it somewhere. If it's a pre-configured machine, you can probably find the specs for it on their website or wherever you bought it). The maximum supported memory is  24GB, so anything under that in any configuration would technically be fine, but keep in mind that running in matched pairs is the ideal solution. Like I said, if you really do only have two sticks in there, you'd be best served buying one stick of matching speed 3GB. If you already have 3, you really shouldn't touch it unless you're keen on buying another triple-channel set of 3 sticks.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NoXious

What AndrewB said is very correct - make sure you KNOW if you have 3x2 GB or not.
    Running it in triple channel is desired. If you have 3x2 I'd stop trying to upgrade RAM - it's clearly not your problem.

And may I ask you - what games CAN'T you run in high detail? I am starting to think your vid card might not be up to it, even though mine is worse and I aint got no trouble so far.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By demontium

Sorry the RAM is three 2 GB pieces of RAM. 

I want to run Just Cause 2 and Crysis in full spec and I cannot currently do that.  

I have a NVIDOA GeForce GTX 285 and a processor Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 GHz 2.67 GHz. 

Are you able to run games like this full spec with lower hardware?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.