Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I know nothing about computers (help)

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By breadfan

I am looking for a laptop for college, but I know absolutely nothing about computers at all.  My plan was to go to Best Buy on Saturday to browse their selection and maybe ask someone who works their for some assistance.  However it is probably safe to say that the dudes at Giant Bomb know more than the guy who works at Best Buy.

This is the laptop that I was thinking about buying.  I am not looking for a gaming laptop specifically but I do want to be able to run some games.  Nothing special, Counter Strike Source and Company of Heroes being two examples, as well as having plenty of capabilities for school work and the such.

Anyway thanks for any help!

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

People have said it a billion times but it is nonetheless still true.  Laptops are bad for gaming.  Additionally taking a laptop to college increases the risk that it will be stolen.  Now it's great to use a device for taking notes in courses (at least sometimes), but that shouldn't be a gaming laptop IMO.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By breadfan

I wasn't planning on buying it primarily for games. I just wanted to get input from people on whether or not it is a good laptop

fallen_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By fallen_elite

Don't ever buy a laptop with Intel Integrated graphics, that's the best advice you will hear. Make sure that you get one with a dedicated graphics card from either ATI or NVIDIA.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

Those guys are right, even if you need a laptop that can do just a little gaming, this laptop will be plain horrible for games.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Lashe

If you're not going to game, I couldn't recommend a netbook enough (so long as you add suitable Ram and a decent HDD to it). They're great if you need to commute any significant distance, and are generally more power efficient with some charges now lasting nearly 10 hours. You could use the money you'd save to buy a cheap desktop or at least put money towards a cheap tower that'd be much better for your gaming needs (you'd be saving about $400, just to give you some perspective). 

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MikeFightNight

Buy a cheap ass netbook for classes to take notes and surf the web.  Then buy a decent Desktop for your dorm (Where ever your crashing) to play games and run other more demanding applications.  How will you do this? Because your made of money.

hamlaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By hamlaser
    @MikeFightNight said:
    "

Buy a cheap ass netbook for classes to take notes and surf the web.  Then buy a decent Desktop for your dorm (Where ever your crashing) to play games and run other more demanding applications.  How will you do this? Because your made of money.

"
    pretty much. get a $400 desktop and drop a new psu and video card in it and then get a netbook for class. Just dont get a dell because they are a little more costly for the same specs of cheaper computers and as i mentioned, changing the psu would fuck the dell as they swap pins around on their connectors. I buy my stuff through newegg.com
    DarkFlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By DarkFlow83

If you want a laptop that will do SOME gaming, this one does not look like a bad one.  Keep in mind i know nothing of laptop GFX cards.  Anyone have any input on this?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.